Debates: Do they really make a difference?

Kibbo

Platinum Member
Jul 13, 2004
Just wondering if you guys think that the debates really make an impact on voter's decisions.

Up here, with two notable exceptions in the 80s, the televised debates don't really change too much. But I've heard a lot on radio today that mentioned several debates which had "defining moments."

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
I think they will make a difference, but for all the wrong reasons. Few voters will actually base thier decision on the issues discussed and the candidates' positions, but rather on the media's declaration of who won, who looked nervous, who seemed evasive, who was sweating more, who spoke in the first person more often, who was made fun of more by Leno, etc..

After reading the details of the event, I don't think they should be allowed to even call them "debates."

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
It can change momentum. Kerry has more to gain or lose, Bush would love to zero debates. Kerry is still very unknown to most voters, so a national audience with good answers can make him look electable. Everyone knows Bush, he just needs not to screw up.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
This debate can't have much of an effect. This is not a debate, but a series of sound bytes. So instead of convincing anybody of anything, it will be a cheerleading session and a source for footage we'll see over and over until we can't stand it any more. The LWV had debates, the parties are spoonfeeding us crap.

chrisms

Diamond Member
Mar 9, 2003
Originally posted by: daveshel
This debate can't have much of an effect. This is not a debate, but a series of sound bytes. So instead of convincing anybody of anything, it will be a cheerleading session and a source for footage we'll see over and over until we can't stand it any more. The LWV had debates, the parties are spoonfeeding us crap.

Well, did you think the same of the Gore/Bush debates? I don't recall the deal they worked out, but the nature of presidential campaigns was about the same back then. I read a transcript of a couple of them and Gore and Bush get pretty heated.

daveshel

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Originally posted by: chrisms
Originally posted by: daveshel

Well, did you think the same of the Gore/Bush debates? I don't recall the deal they worked out, but the nature of presidential campaigns was about the same back then. I read a transcript of a couple of them and Gore and Bush get pretty heated.

I think they still followed more or less a debate format, with rebuttals and all. But I've slept since then, I could be wrong.

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
yes they do, they can really kill your chances if you don't LOOK well. Didn't Nixon get killed because he looked sick?

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Todd33
It can change momentum. Kerry has more to gain or lose, Bush would love to zero debates. Kerry is still very unknown to most voters, so a national audience with good answers can make him look electable. Everyone knows Bush, he just needs not to screw up.

Your argument makes no sense. First you say that Kerry has more to gain/lose bcause the public knows Bush and has their mind made up if they like his or not by this point, then you say Bush needs to not screw up.

Todd33

Diamond Member
Oct 16, 2003
Originally posted by: Rob9874

Your argument makes no sense. First you say that Kerry has more to gain/lose bcause the public knows Bush and has their mind made up if they like his or not by this point, then you say Bush needs to not screw up.

What doesn't make sense? Bush can cruise through it, no mistakes just keeps him on top.

One has had national attention for four years as the president, the other has been fighting negative ads for a year and was unknown outside of MA before that. Kerry has more to gain or lose.

Rob9874

Diamond Member
Nov 7, 1999
Originally posted by: Rob9874

What doesn't make sense? Bush can cruise through it, no mistakes just keeps him on top.

One has had national attention for four years as the president, the other has been fighting negative ads for a year and was unknown outside of MA before that. Kerry has more to gain or lose.

I understand your logic about why Kerry has more to lose/gain, and I agree. But if Bush doesn't have much to gain, then he doesn't have much to lose either. I don't think the debates are going to affect Bush's popularity at all.

arsbanned

Banned
Dec 12, 2003
It's show business. And we all know the U.S. is all about show business. 2 Presidential debates which had huge impact were the Kennedy/Nixon debate and the Reagan/Carter debate. They were defining moments and snared the elections for the winners.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
It is clear to me that this election has nothing to do with the issues, but everything to do with Kerry's swiftboat service and the fact that his face has turned orange. Other than that, there is not much else talk in this election.

Train

Lifer
Jun 22, 2000
www.bing.com
Debates are very important, once every 4 years Saturday Night Live is worth watching.

Though I doubt they can even touch the Bush Sr/Clinton/Perrot skits, those were the best.

imported_Condor

Diamond Member
Sep 22, 2004
I knew Bush wouldn't do that well. I was just hoping Kerry would piss his pants or something. Well, maybe next time.

OneOfTheseDays

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2000
If Kerry can successfully debate Bush in the next two debates, he may be the one delivering the knockout punch. America wants a change in the direction this country is headed, and he showed tonight that he is a viable alternative to Bush.

CycloWizard

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Sudheer Anne
If Kerry can successfully debate Bush in the next two debates, he may be the one delivering the knockout punch. America wants a change in the direction this country is headed, and he showed tonight that he is a viable alternative to Bush.
If you say it enough, maybe it will come true! :roll: Put your crystal ball away and snap back to reality.

gutharius

Golden Member
May 26, 2004
I think they do. They help voters see the candidates in a personal light as well as their character and personalities.

element

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: arsbanned
It's show business. And we all know the U.S. is all about show business. 2 Presidential debates which had huge impact were the Kennedy/Nixon debate and the Reagan/Carter debate. They were defining moments and snared the elections for the winners.

there you go again...