Death by OC, share your experiences

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

hoorah

Dec 8, 2005
. I still own the Q6600 (over 7 years old now) and it can still put 3.6ghz overclocks on a P35-DQ6 board.

did you ever passmark test that chip overclocked? I never did the Q6600 (I was on AMD platforms at the time) but now I've ended up with a few recycled core2 systems, all OEM (so no overclocking). I have a Q6600 on my desk and I'm wondering if I should hang onto it in case I ever come across a 775 board I can overclock or if I should just dump it on ebay.

It would be a system for a family member so I usually hesitate from overclocking those but I hear such good things about the core2quads.

Ho72

Mar 25, 2014
www.howardowen.net
UPDATE: Here it is, 2020, and my 3770K is still a daily driver and still sporting its overclock (or most of it). At 4.4GHz I saw very infrequent WHEA errors that, as time wore on, began happening with increasing regularity. Early this year, when those errors ultimately began happening multiple times per day, I dropped the OC back to 4.3 and I haven't seen a WHEA since.

I am starting to think about a replacement for my 8 year old beast, but why rush things? Maybe next year... :)

Edited to change WEHA to WHEA. I always called it Wee-ha and so wrote it that way. :rolleyes:

Last edited:
Reactions: Hans Gruber

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
UPDATE: Here it is, 2020, and my 3770K is still a daily driver and still sporting its overclock (or most of it). At 4.4GHz I saw very infrequent WEHA errors that, as time wore on, began happening with increasing regularity. Early this year, when those errors ultimately began happening multiple times per day, I dropped the OC back to 4.3 and I haven't seen a WEHA since.

I am starting to think about a replacement for my 8 year old beast, but why rush things? Maybe next year... :)
I switched my 3570K 3 years ago. It's semi retired, gave it to my brother. It used to run 4.5ghz 24x7. It's now either 4.3 or 4.4ghz. Over time processors lose their mojo. Silicon degradation. It's still a great processor for web browsing.

Avalon

Diamond Member
Jul 16, 2001
Never outright killed any CPU, but I did have an Intel Core 2 E8400 OC'd to 4Ghz that after a few years I had to set back to 3.8 due to degradation. Unrelated, but I did melt a motherboard once due to a poorly installed metal standoff in my case. A chip on the board literally liquified almost instantly upon power on and started spewing nasty thick black smoke. Thankfully it didn't take anything else out with it. Took me a hot minute to figure out what happened, and then I had to buy another board. I think this was in the Athlon XP-M days, where I probably had some sort of Nforce2 chipped Epox board. Good times.

Reactions: blckgrffn

blckgrffn

Diamond Member
May 1, 2003
www.teamjuchems.com
Never outright killed any CPU, but I did have an Intel Core 2 E8400 OC'd to 4Ghz that after a few years I had to set back to 3.8 due to degradation. Unrelated, but I did melt a motherboard once due to a poorly installed metal standoff in my case. A chip on the board literally liquified almost instantly upon power on and started spewing nasty thick black smoke. Thankfully it didn't take anything else out with it. Took me a hot minute to figure out what happened, and then I had to buy another board. I think this was in the Athlon XP-M days, where I probably had some sort of Nforce2 chipped Epox board. Good times.

That board was going to blow a cap in a year or two anyway :D

(Used lots of Epox boards myself.)

A///

Diamond Member
Feb 24, 2017
Sometimes I'll buy old mobos and use my rework station to remove everything off the boards that'll come off because I'm weird and I find it cathartic to do that.

Last edited:
Reactions: blckgrffn