Dearborn and Michigan Voters Set New Voter Turnout Records

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
— About 2.1 million people out of 7.4 million registered cast their votes in Michigan in the Aug. 7 primaries, with a nearly 28.6 percent voter turnout breaking records going as far back as 1978, according to state election officials.

About 53 percent of Michigan voters chose a Democratic candidate and 46.5 percent voted for Republican candidates.

In Dearborn, the total voter turnout was 34.4 percent, which was about 5 percent higher than the state’s turnout. That’s also significantly higher than turn outs in primary elections in 2012 (25.2 percent), 2014 (17.5 percent) and in the 2016 presidential primary election (24.8 percent)......

https://www.arabamericannews.com/20...ichigan-voters-set-new-voter-turnout-records/

This is good news for Michigan. With a Governor and Senate seat at stake my State of Michigan looks poised to prevent a repeat of it's mistake of sitting on its ass, staying home, and not voting ... Michigan will be pivotal in 2020....

In other news about these pesky American Muslims, other than that they seem to care more about America and getting out and voting that most non Muslim Americans...

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/08/poli...13-congressional-district-election/index.html

Michigan Democrat likely to be first Muslim woman elected to Congress

Rashida Tlaib will likely be the first Muslim woman elected to Congress after CNN has projected her to win the Democratic primary in Michigan's 13th District.

Tlaib, who beat a crowded field of Democrats to win Tuesday's primary, will not face a Republican opponent in November's general election. She can still be opposed by a write-in candidate, but would be the overwhelming favorite in the deeply Democratic district.
Tlaib, the eldest daughter of Palestinian immigrants, was one of more than 90 American Muslims running for office this year.

"It's not about just being out there and flaunting your faith," Tlaib told CNN last month. "I always tell people that I'm exposing Islam in such a pivotal way, an impactful way, through public service."
In 2008, Tlaib became the first Muslim woman ever to serve in Michigan's state legislature.

This news will surely get some of our resident Islamophobe bigots hot under the collar...

MOOSELAMBS are fine upstanding civic minded Americans who go to work and pay taxes and in some cases run for political office? And win??? Some of these are the women that some resident sock puppets only seem to care about when they are pretending to care about their headdresses and their oppressession...

You'd better watch out. Only a few more and S H A R I A ! ! !

brycejones

Lifer
Oct 18, 2005
Dude I heard here in P&N that Dearborn was under Sharia law with roaming bands of men enforcing it.....

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Was her campaign based on being a Muslim or a democrat? If it's A, that sucks, if it's B, good for her and I hope she does well.

Greenman

Lifer
Oct 15, 1999
Why would "A" suck? Or do you get equally upset every time someone runs as a Christian? That's basically a huge part of the GOP candidate play book.
I'm not a fan of anyone getting elected because because of race, religion, or sexual orientation. I suppose that when all is said and done it doesn't really matter because we always seem to end up with very poorly run government and a stratified society. I always hope for better.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I'd say being the first potential Muslim woman in Congress is a 'hook,' but ultimately Tlaib still has to stand on her policies, and she won the primary. I think she can reach Congress just so long as that high turnout translates to the actual election.

My question is how Republicans will tackle her, since their tendency toward Islamophobia and general anti-immigrant sentiment could very easily get them into hot water here (not that it shouldn't get them into hot water at all times, in all places).

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
The most interesting thing here and the most concerning for the GOP is just how many Democrats came out and vote in a primary...

With Legalizing MJ on the ballot in November this midwest State should turn back Blue...

Reactions: Aegeon

mpo

Jan 8, 2010
Was her campaign based on being a Muslim or a democrat? If it's A, that sucks, if it's B, good for her and I hope she does well.
Rashida Tlaib won the nomination for the Congressional District 13. Dearborn is gerrymandered out of the district. When she was in the state house, her district was along the Detroit River (i.e., not in Dearborn, either).

In short, the people of Dearborn didn't send her to Washington.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The most interesting thing here and the most concerning for the GOP is just how many Democrats came out and vote in a primary...

With Legalizing MJ on the ballot in November this midwest State should turn back Blue...

Fired up & ready to rumble.

tweaker2

Lifer
Aug 5, 2000
In anticipation of her likely win in the general, I'm sure the GOP is microscope inspecting her pedigree hoping to find the remotest connection with some "terroist Palestinian organization." And if they can't, I bet they're going to dream some shit up anyway.

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
GOP activists need more day-work to fill their time. It's better than a political re-education camp. But they just keep focusing human energy on retrograde, destructive obsessions.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
Why would "A" suck? Or do you get equally upset every time someone runs as a Christian? That's basically a huge part of the GOP candidate play book.

Because in Trump's America, identity politics is a dirty word unless you're a white, Christian male.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
I have to say that I am really disappointed that people like Incorruptible whose posting history would indicate he is a champion for Muslim rights across the globe yet hasn't chimed in here.

Again this concerns Muslims... In America... Exercising their right to vote... In greater numbers than "real" Americans...

This is something that should be applauded here... but this isn't about headdresses so maybe it's not a concern...