Dear Florida Stoners

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

smackababy

Lifer
Oct 30, 2008
Dear Florida stoners, if you want marijuana to be legal, one must refrain from toking up and watching cartoons for hours on election day.

FJRisco

Nov 4, 2014
www.facebook.com
It's a shame it didn't pass. There is medicine based on mj without the side effects that helps people with epilepsy or other illness/conditions. Too bad it won't be available to those who truly need it.

Last edited:

TechBoyJK

Lifer
Oct 17, 2002
I've advocated legalization of marijuana for decades...and I don't smoke the stuff. HOWEVER, now that I live in Washington, a state that legalized pot 2 years ago...IMO, it's not working here. The supply of "approved marijuana" is so low and the taxes on it so high, that the prices are ridiculous...and it's much cheaper to buy from the guy on the street corner. Yes, you will PROBABLY get a more consistently better grade of pot at a pot shop...but you'll pay 25-50% more for your dope than you will from a black market seller.

The Washington Liquor Control Board (in charge of pot sales) has too many restrictions on who can have licenses, too few licenses available, too many restrictions on where shops that sell marijuana can be located, PLUS, the law allows cities/counties to ban sales in their jurisdictions. (and it's currently illegal to grow your own)

Legalization just happened. You really shouldn't even look at how effective it is until 10 years have passed. It will take time for the system to get going. Same thing happened when alcohol prohibition ended. It takes time for the system get back into full swing.

rudder

Lifer
Nov 9, 2000
I've advocated legalization of marijuana for decades...and I don't smoke the stuff. HOWEVER, now that I live in Washington, a state that legalized pot 2 years ago...IMO, it's not working here. The supply of "approved marijuana" is so low and the taxes on it so high, that the prices are ridiculous...and it's much cheaper to buy from the guy on the street corner. Yes, you will PROBABLY get a more consistently better grade of pot at a pot shop...but you'll pay 25-50% more for your dope than you will from a black market seller.

The Washington Liquor Control Board (in charge of pot sales) has too many restrictions on who can have licenses, too few licenses available, too many restrictions on where shops that sell marijuana can be located, PLUS, the law allows cities/counties to ban sales in their jurisdictions. (and it's currently illegal to grow your own)

Yes, but at least law enforcement resources and courts will not be as clogged with people who get busted for having a joint in their pocket. Sure authorities could still go after the black market... just seems like it would make less sense to do so now.

I am anti-drug.... but personally there needs to be more available jail space for violent offenders and such rather than someone who got stoned and chilled with some taco bell.

ahenkel

Diamond Member
Jan 11, 2009
What's the law on growing your own for personal consumption in States that permit the sale of MM?

I'm not entirely sure about the laws everywhere, but in Oregon once the new law goes into effect you can personally grow up to 4 plants per person, and you can give it away all day tax free.

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
What's the law on growing your own for personal consumption in States that permit the sale of MM?

Washington state does not allow personal grows. You would not believe the draconian rules to be certified for commercial grows. So much so that when the stores opened there was virtually no product to put on the shelves. I think this will last a couple years unless several rules are revisited.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
I actually voted against it, and it looks it will pass, and probably more skeletor, too.

Wow you are the full stoner that hates stoners!

You obviously love telling your cronies "fuck yeah, let's smoke this up! I so fucked those medical types from stealing my weed!"

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Nice stereotyping.

If you only knew.

He can't even do the best day of his life unless his SO approves.

He is angry and bitter and allows his life to be controlled.

Irrelevant Alky blog stuff removed.
admin allisolm

Last edited by a moderator:
Feb 6, 2007

In Oregon, prior to the passage of this new bill, anyone could apply for a medical marijuana growers card (which were almost always granted) and grow up to 6 plants in a specific location. Growers were legally allowed to carry a fair amount of pot as well (over a pound). And, let's face it, the majority of those growers are using it as well; no one gets into the business of growing pot if they don't also partake. I had a couple friends who had fairly lucrative side careers growing medical marijuana and selling to dispensaries, and they would indulge in their own supplies pretty frequently.

The new law allows anyone to grow 4 plants for personal use and possess up to 8 ounces for personal consumption, although it's not legal to use it anywhere in public. As far as legally buying/selling it, well, that hasn't actually been determined yet, and won't be for at least a year. But seeing as how Oregon's had decriminalized marijuana in some form for 40+ years now, it's not like it's going to be some sweeping change as far as enforcement goes. It'll just be of the "oh, going to the liquor store for some whiskey and an ounce of weed," variety.

The best part is that even if marijuana is legal in adjoining states, it's illegal to transport it across state lines. But that's another one of those laws that is very selectively enforced (and by "selective" I mean "not").

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
Down here if they are not just buying cheap houses to turn into grow houses, they are clearing out sections of corn fields; planting their weed and harvesting prior to the farmer or anyone else knowing.

With all the automation on a farm today, no one is the wiser. Something like $100,000 in weed can be easily grown and harvested this way.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
It's a midterm election, so conservative dittoheads have more clout. They vote like punching the timeclock at work. It's the Party of No, after all.

You'd think that the Florida legislature would catch a clue from the 58/42 vote, do something themselves. Probably not- it's Florida, almost as fucked up as Texas, where politicians see themselves as shepherds rather than servants of the people.

In WA, the liquor board & the legislature harbor illusions of limiting availability & therefore consumption, which is a fool's errand. That's because personal growing is disallowed & they seem to think they can effectively enforce the law in that respect. Personal growing is what nailed the coffin shut on prohibition in CO, and what will do the same in OR, AK & DC. Legal personal growing makes the notion of control moot- providers rather need to compete with that at the level of quality, price & convenience.

Oh, and if you can't create an ample personal supply under the 6 total & 3 flowering per person plant count limits in CO, it means you're a shitty gardener. We can't really grow outdoors, either, but they'll be able to do so in OR. Outdoor pot plants can get enormous in OR, yielding several lbs apiece. These have just started to flower-

http://www.salem-news.com/articles/november042014/marijuana-passes-oregon.php

If you think Vancouver WA stoners won't drive across the bridge to legally score in Oregon at a fraction of the price, you're delusional.

Jhhnn

IN MEMORIAM
Nov 11, 1999
The best part is that even if marijuana is legal in adjoining states, it's illegal to transport it across state lines. But that's another one of those laws that is very selectively enforced (and by "selective" I mean "not").

Not quite true. There's definitely increased activity in states adjacent to CO, probably with a lot of profiling. Nah- couldn't be.

Oldgamer

Diamond Member
Jan 15, 2013
I just wonder how much of an impact the voter suppression tactics had that might have kept 100k or more folks away from the polls? I mean that would definitely have affected the ability to get something like this passed.

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
I just wonder how much of an impact the voter suppression tactics had that might have kept 100k or more folks away from the polls? I mean that would definitely have affected the ability to get something like this passed.

You have to blame it on something right. It couldn't be a real reflection of what the people want.

MongGrel

Lifer
Dec 3, 2013
Down here if they are not just buying cheap houses to turn into grow houses, they are clearing out sections of corn fields; planting their weed and harvesting prior to the farmer or anyone else knowing.

With all the automation on a farm today, no one is the wiser. Something like $100,000 in weed can be easily grown and harvested this way.

You must live in some odd section of Florida, I've never seen a corn field here myself.

And I grew up in Indiana and used to see them all the time.

schmuckley

Platinum Member
Aug 18, 2011

corn? What state do you live in?

pcgeek11

Lifer
Jun 12, 2005
Yep congrats to the old timers at Florida for failing to pass this. Meanwhile alcohol is A.O.K.!!! Idiots...

And I don't even smoke pot or live in FL.

Actually you can blame the young voters and Dems for this not passing.

Voter turnout is a constant issue in the U.S. around an election, particularly among the young. In exit polls from Tuesday's midterms, for example, only 13 percent of voters were under 30.

Nonvoters are also more racially diverse than the voting population and are less educated. More than 40 percent of likely nonvoters in the 2014 elections identified as Hispanic, black or other racial/ethnic minorities, compared with 22 percent of likely voters. While most voters (72 percent) have completed some college, nonvoters are more likely to have never attended college.

Feb 6, 2007
Not quite true. There's definitely increased activity in states adjacent to CO, probably with a lot of profiling. Nah- couldn't be.

Right, but I meant if marijuana is legal in two states that share a border, it's still illegal to transport it across state lines. I think the only two states that will apply to for the near future is Oregon/Washington, and it's not enforced in the slightest, but it is technically illegal to transport the weed you purchased legally to a place where it's legal to carry it if that transportation ends up crossing a state boundary. It's a stupid caveat. But if Florida can ban people bringing oranges across their borders, I guess anything goes.

alkemyst

No Lifer
Feb 13, 2001
You must live in some odd section of Florida, I've never seen a corn field here myself.

And I grew up in Indiana and used to see them all the time.

Actually where you live in Florida is the odd section, you realize we have a large everglades too right?

Belle Glade is 20 miles west and all that area is heavy agriculture.

But what the fuck do I know.

zanejohnson

Diamond Member
Nov 29, 2002
HAHA 100,000 dollars worth of pot grown easily in a section of a cornfield with nobody noticing!!

LOL get real!!

it's hard to grow 100k worth of pot in a dedicated fucking growhouse/lab

trust me, nobodys growing 100k worth of pot in some farmers field.

Last edited: