Dean takes heat for flag remarks -**Dean doesn't apologize**@@NOW ALMOST DOES!!!@@

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Dean is right. Rightwingers like to polarize people over these stupid emotional issues that are irrelevant to most people's lives. Dean is just saying, fine, have a confederate sticker on your car, have your guns, drive your pickups, you are still welcome in the Democratic party because there are more important issues than that.
The biggest difference between GOP and Dems is fiscal policy. The level of spending has been a wash or higher with GOP control, but one party seeks to match taxation with spending and let the economy take care of itself, and another seeks to run huge deficits to stimulate the economy.

Do you really believe what you just typed?:p The Democrats have used these "stupid emotional issues" to polarize people - not the "right wingers":p Who is making a big deal of this flag flap? could it be the other Democrats? Dean is trying to steal the "big tent" tactic that Bush used but he's not even close to moderate enough for it to work. It's unfortunate to see that the other Democrats don't see it that way and they still want to not include certain types;) Oh, and before you think that is a defense of Dean - it is not. Dean is just trying to pander to the south even though he still stereotypes them - hell of a great way to win influence, no?

CkG

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001
Originally posted by: shinerburke
Originally posted by: Nitemare
Originally posted by: Pers
<--- Runs Pers off with a broom

more like...

runs me off wearing a white sheet with a burning crucifix in hand.

Ever watched the old SNL w/ Chris Rock playing the part of Nat X?

I was raised in the South and attended schools & worked at jobs where white people were a minority. I, essentially was born whitish and raised in an environment where I identified with minorities. Most of my best friends were black. I would have no problem at all with flying a confederate flag and them knowing about it nor would I have a problem with joining up with them and taking down a Klan rally with baseball bats. The only thing wrong with the confederate flag is people constantly associate with racism because of some rednecked inbred militia groups who have for the most part have been forcibly relocated out of the South and into Idaho and Montana. The only people that are allowed to play the race cards are those that were directly affected ie...lived in the South during the Jim Crow days, if you didn't please STFU as you are talking out of your @ss and don't know what you are saying.

WTF are you at and what right have you got to assume the rights of defending the Black man through use of nazi references?

FYI. It's a burning cross not a crucifix..you would know that if you knew anything at all what you were talking about.
Bingo

so the next time you're ready to type up a post in favor of the war in iraq or whatnot...please shut the fvck up as well.

because i suspect you haven't spent a day under the rule of saddam.

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000

more like...

I was raised in the South and attended schools & worked at jobs where white people were a minority. I, essentially was born whitish and raised in an environment where I identified with minorities. Most of my best friends were black. I would have no problem at all with flying a confederate flag and them knowing about it nor would I have a problem with joining up with them and taking down a Klan rally with baseball bats. The only thing wrong with the confederate flag is people constantly associate with racism because of some rednecked inbred militia groups who have for the most part have been forcibly relocated out of the South and into Idaho and Montana. The only people that are allowed to play the race cards are those that were directly affected ie...lived in the South during the Jim Crow days, if you didn't please STFU as you are talking out of your @ss and don't know what you are saying.

WTF are you at and what right have you got to assume the rights of defending the Black man through use of nazi references?

FYI. It's a burning cross not a crucifix..you would know that if you knew anything at all what you were talking about.
Bingo

so the next time you're ready to type up a post in favor of the war in iraq or whatnot...please shut the fvck up as well.

So....let me ask you a question in all seriousness. When you argue with the 3rd grader next door, does he always win or is it more 95% in his favor to 5% in yours? I mean even a blind dog can find a bone once in a while, right?

shiner

Lifer
Jul 18, 2000
Originally posted by: Phokus
Country Music Sux
I think we can all agree to that. Except for Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams Sr, Bob Wills, and maybe a couple of others.

charrison

Lifer
Oct 13, 1999
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Dean is right. Rightwingers like to polarize people over these stupid emotional issues that are irrelevant to most people's lives. Dean is just saying, fine, have a confederate sticker on your car, have your guns, drive your pickups, you are still welcome in the Democratic party because there are more important issues than that.
The biggest difference between GOP and Dems is fiscal policy. The level of spending has been a wash or higher with GOP control, but one party seeks to match taxation with spending and let the economy take care of itself, and another seeks to run huge deficits to stimulate the economy.

Until you consider that democrats have complained at every step that the administration is not spending enough.

Pers

Golden Member
Jan 12, 2001

more like...

Bingo

So....let me ask you a question in all seriousness. When you argue with the 3rd grader next door, does he always win or is it more 95% in his favor to 5% in yours? I mean even a blind dog can find a bone once in a while, right?

you didn't make much of an argument yourself. so um...go bone a blind dog or something.

burnedout

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Originally posted by: Phokus
Country Music Sux
I think we can all agree to that. Except for Johnny Cash, Marty Robbins, Hank Williams Sr, Bob Wills, and maybe a couple of others.
Please add Waylon, Willie, Hank Jr., Charlie Pride, Patsy Cline, Dwight Yoakam (early material), Earl Scruggs & Lester Flatt, Charley Pride, Jim Reeves, George Jones, Chet Atkins and many others to the list of outstanding musicians.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001

more like...

Bingo

And you have?

Why don't you tell us what it is like having first hand experience living under Saddam's rule?

DaiShan

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
Originally posted by: gistech1978
i would tend to agree with you tnitsuj
what gets me are some idiots in this state (OK) that have these on their trucks...
oklahoma wasnt a freakin' state until 1907. there were some minor battles fought here but unless you are choctaw, chickasaw, seminole, creek or cherokee you or your ancestors didnt have anything to do with that war in this state. period.
its veiled racism in the name of "heritage". no two ways about it.

EDIT: and i do find it unfortunate that Dean made these comments.

Meh, the flag doesn't represent racism. It represents a time when part of America seceeded from the union, it is for that reason that I cannot agree with the symbol. You can NOT be both confederate AND American.

Nitemare

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: DaiShan
Originally posted by: gistech1978
i would tend to agree with you tnitsuj
what gets me are some idiots in this state (OK) that have these on their trucks...
oklahoma wasnt a freakin' state until 1907. there were some minor battles fought here but unless you are choctaw, chickasaw, seminole, creek or cherokee you or your ancestors didnt have anything to do with that war in this state. period.
its veiled racism in the name of "heritage". no two ways about it.

EDIT: and i do find it unfortunate that Dean made these comments.

Meh, the flag doesn't represent racism. It represents a time when part of America seceeded from the union, it is for that reason that I cannot agree with the symbol. You can NOT be both confederate AND American.

Other than the racism/slavery aspect, call me a confederate. To me confederate means anti-big federal government, less taxation without representation, and more states rights and less intrusion in ones daily lives.

I'm embarassed by certain things that America is or has become, most notably the perfectly accepted welfare abuse, the undieing support of Israel, sueing for millions of dollars and winning over spilt coffee, inmates sueing because they have to or can't wear pink underwear, soaring healthcare prices because of insane malpractice insurance due to outrageous awards and settlements, filibustering senate confirmed judicial nominees, the patriot act, the tiered system of income taxes, and all the partisanship that comes in a two party political system.