Dean Says He's Now Considering Unsealing Vermont Files - OK, maybe not - Now he wants a judge to decide

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000
Originally posted by: CADkindaGUY
Originally posted by: SuperTool
Dean: Judge Should Decide on Vt. Records

Yep, instead of just allowing them to be opened(privacy concerns are automatically addressed) - he wants a judge to decide. Nice dodge:p

CkG

Are you saying there are absolutely no records that a governor needs to keep secret? Now assuming there are some records that should be sealed in the interest of the state or privacy of others, the best way is to let a third party judge decide which ones should be released. It would be a conflict of interest for Dean to decide himself what to release and what not to release, so it's best to let a judge do it. Of course you rightwingers will bash Dean all day long no matter what he does.

I think you missed my other post.
But yes - the man said he'd unseal his if Bush unsealed his, but now wants a court to decide IF they should and then IF - what can be released. dean is the one causing his own problems with this, as he is trying to dodge it. It's funny though that you say right-wingers will bash no matter what he does....kind of ironic coming from the likes of you:p

CkG

He is not trying to dodge anything. He is letting a judge JUDICIOUSLY relase documents that the JUDGE decides don't need to be sealed. He is taking politics out, and letting an independent third party look at the documents one by one and see if there is any reason to keep them private. Now you aren't going to be happy unless he releases all documents, whether hurtful to Vermont or not, so he is taking himself out of the decision, and letting a judge do it for him. That is the responsible thing to do to both avoid conflict of interest and at the same time protect the secrecy of state documents that might really need to be protected. But you rightwingers would never admit it. I mean we have Dubya who won't even relase briefings relevant to one of the biggest tragedies on US soil and what was known beforehand, and you are bashing Dean for letting a judge decide which records to release.

CADsortaGUY

Lifer
Oct 19, 2001
www.ShawCAD.com

Yep, instead of just allowing them to be opened(privacy concerns are automatically addressed) - he wants a judge to decide. Nice dodge:p

CkG

Are you saying there are absolutely no records that a governor needs to keep secret? Now assuming there are some records that should be sealed in the interest of the state or privacy of others, the best way is to let a third party judge decide which ones should be released. It would be a conflict of interest for Dean to decide himself what to release and what not to release, so it's best to let a judge do it. Of course you rightwingers will bash Dean all day long no matter what he does.

But yes - the man said he'd unseal his if Bush unsealed his, but now wants a court to decide IF they should and then IF - what can be released. dean is the one causing his own problems with this, as he is trying to dodge it. It's funny though that you say right-wingers will bash no matter what he does....kind of ironic coming from the likes of you:p

CkG

He is not trying to dodge anything. He is letting a judge JUDICIOUSLY relase documents that the JUDGE decides don't need to be sealed. He is taking politics out, and letting an independent third party look at the documents one by one and see if there is any reason to keep them private. Now you aren't going to be happy unless he releases all documents, whether hurtful to Vermont or not, so he is taking himself out of the decision, and letting a judge do it for him. That is the responsible thing to do to both avoid conflict of interest and at the same time protect the secrecy of state documents that might really need to be protected. But you rightwingers would never admit it. I mean we have Dubya who won't even relase briefings relevant to one of the biggest tragedies on US soil and what was known beforehand, and you are bashing Dean for letting a judge decide which records to release.

No, I'm not bashing him for letting a judge(or third party) to decide which records have privacy issues - I'm saying that Dean is trying to hide behind a court as to whether any of his records will be released. The judge would first have to decide that Dean should release his papers;) Like I said - dean is bringing this all on himself - if he wouldn't have said that he'd release them if Bush did -then he wouldn't be in this mess now would he? Ofcourse some of his current rivals(who pushed this issue) would still cry foul about his sealed records if he wouldn't have said that but I was mum on the issue and even basically said it wasn't as big of an issue as the press and others were making it(at the time) - check my OP. I thought the Union deal was a much bigger deal than his sealed records but now that he's flopped and dodged about with his answers and such - it has grown in magnitude.

CkG

SuperTool

Lifer
Jan 25, 2000

CkG

CkG

No, I'm not bashing him for letting a judge(or third party) to decide which records have privacy issues - I'm saying that Dean is trying to hide behind a court as to whether any of his records will be released. The judge would first have to decide that Dean should release his papers;) Like I said - dean is bringing this all on himself - if he wouldn't have said that he'd release them if Bush did -then he wouldn't be in this mess now would he? Ofcourse some of his current rivals(who pushed this issue) would still cry foul about his sealed records if he wouldn't have said that but I was mum on the issue and even basically said it wasn't as big of an issue as the press and others were making it(at the time) - check my OP. I thought the Union deal was a much bigger deal than his sealed records but now that he's flopped and dodged about with his answers and such - it has grown in magnitude.

CkG

I think it's good that he is recusing himself from deciding this and letting the judge do it to avoid conflict of interest. At least he knows what that means, unlike the current occupant of the whitehouse.