Dealing with pompous ass doctors

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
Originally posted by: Cuular
This sounds like a pompous ass admin, that doesn't understand what their job is.

It's your job to provide the Dcotors with what they need to do their job.

And in case you haven't noticed, medical school teaches them to be a doctor not a technically inclined computer user. It's your job to help them become better computer users, and hopefully in a professional, understanding way.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, IT and it's related support fields are a service industry.

What you should have said is "Next time please let me know in advance the name of any software that you might use, and I'll make sure it's installed. If you'd like, and you have the installation media, I'll install what you need right now, for today."

Then you go back to your office/cube compose a neutral email detailing what happened, and what you did to fix the situation, send it to her, your boss, and her boss if she has one.

That way you let the bosses know what happened, and that you responded in a profesisonal mannner to the situation. Then offered to make sure in the future she has what she needs when she needs it.

Exactly right...

MD's are the stars of the hosputal show,they bring in the money that pays everybody,including IT.

Most of the doc's at my place rock,they're frighteningly bright,most of them are quite proficent at the computer and most of them are quite nice to me.

Ok so your talking about a situation where the doctor's are smart and pretty proficient on the computer. Well there you go. If that was the case I wouldn't be posting in the forum. And of course I've heard this "Doctors generate the income" type of speech. Lets take that type of philosphy and apply it to everthing else.

Ex:

My wife is currently staying at home. I make the income. Technically I'm bringing in the money and I don't need her. Therefore if I have some problem about the job she is doing at home and I don't understand I can bitch her out. No there is mutual respect and understaning that exist.

Ex 2:

I'm a student working on my Master's. At my university I was also working on my Undergrade. Students are not generally treated very well by university support staff. However, the students are paying the salaries of all those staff. Hmmmmmm....

Your role,you know,those duties you get paid for? is to provide customer SERVICE and SUPPORT and to do so in a manner that doesn't leave your manager and the rest of your dept looking like pompous asses.

The situation you just described looked to me like a perfect opportunity to score some bonus points...you could have tried to get the software she needed installed and you could have dialogued a bit with the doctor's admin person about how to better ensure that next time they had the things they needed.

You lost an oppportuinity to shine within your organization..a shame really.

Again, I'm not David Copperfield. She needed this software within that second. Because she failed to PROPERLY notify us of this. Due to her lack of basic IT knowledge she couldn't project this. When I was called back down there was no way in hell I could of installed whatever software she needed (because she didn't even know what she needed) within that short amount of time. As far as me scoring bonus points. I'm well known for being very knowledgeable in my field and am spoken about highly for my abilities. Not only with medical staff but executives within the health system that have dealt with me in the past.

Thank god that I'm young and have plenty of opportunities awaiting me.......

Do you know how many young,eager and equally knowledgible IT experts are collecting unemployment?

Your knowledge gets you in the door,your people skills keep you there afterwards..did you try to pleasantly solve today's problem with the doctor's admin person? Did you pleasantly clarify with her the process by which she should make these requests in future..even maybe letting her know that she could email or voicemail you personally to help when needed?

Did this customer come away from you not only not getting what she needed today but also having been made to feel ignorant and spoken down to or did she come away feeling that today was unfortunate but that you'd done everything possible to help her do her job and given her a postive connection for future use within your dept?

Yes, yes and yes. However, it won't make much of any difference. This is that type of person and it won't sink in her thick skull. Just like it won't sink into yours. As far as her experience. I don't realy care. Because she is one person out of the hundrends who've had good experiences with me. My manager knows she has a problem with explaining her needs and I CYA to make sure it dosen't exlode further. I'm sure she has problems with everybody in IT and it will get to a point where a recomendation will be made for her to attend special courses.....

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

Yes, yes and yes. However, it won't make much of any difference. This is that type of person and it won't sink in her thick skull. Just like it won't sink into yours. As far as her experience. I don't realy care. Because she is one person out of the hundrends who've had good experiences with me. My manager knows she has a problem with explaining her needs and I CYA to make sure it dosen't exlode further. I'm sure she has problems with everybody in IT and it will get to a point where a recomendation will be made for her to attend special courses.....

The utter disdain you hold for this person is quite clear here and I have no doubt that was imparted all too clearly to her during your interaction with her. If I have repeated problems conveying information to a person(s) I generally start by looking at the process by which that happens,rather than heaping blame on an end user.

When I go to work I understand I'm getting paid to make other people's days easier,freeing them up to do what it is that they're good at,it's all about them,not about me.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006

The utter disdain you hold for this person is quite clear here and I have no doubt that was imparted all too clearly to her during your interaction with her. If I have repeated problems conveying information to a person(s) I generally start by looking at the process by which that happens,rather than heaping blame on an end user.

When I go to work I understand I'm getting paid to make other people's days easier,freeing them up to do what it is that they're good at,it's all about them,not about me.

No, this person had an attitude with me from the start. As soon as I walked into the room. I don't kiss ass to get ahead in life. Maybe you do. Unfortunatley if the end-user is not willing to listen to the solution or act within reason. We have have a problem with the end user. It's a TWO WAY STREET. Again using your philosophy you couldn't of fixed the problem within the 2 mins she needed the fix. That was as I previouslly indicated her stubborness and inability to propertly project what she needed. I can't read minds.......

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Originally posted by: SarcasticDwarf
Originally posted by: vi_edit
Try working with a cardiologist that brings in a stopwatch and measures the time it takes to electronically sign and confirm an EKG and compares it to how quick he can do it on paper.

It takes him 6 seconds on paper, but 24 seconds on the computer. That's costing him $68 a day in EKG reading fees.

*uhg*

good for him,he values his billable hours.

I suspect that he is ignoring the other benefits that save the time of OTHER PEOPLE.

Ex: Those documents are going to have to be digitized and archived at some point. What is the time and cost of that? What about the cost of storing paper vs microfilm?

4 star cardiologist's bring in HUGE money and praise for the hospitals they have priv's at,they don't grow on trees. Moving over into a totally electronic records keeping system is not without it's flaws.It's up to IT to show that cardiologist what he/she gains as result of the new system.

In our house the good doctor would have been asked if he'd tried out the ability to read
and sign off on those EKG's from the comfort of his office at home yet:)

Completely electronic certainly has a ton of advantantages but not a lot of them get back on the confirming MD's. It is nice being able to read online via Citrix from your home, but the big advantage is a real time billing for the hospital's acquisition fee, automated previous compares back to the ED's, and results delivery to the EMR.

They don't see/care about that. They just know that they have a new login and password and the system could take longer to read on complicated interps.

Luckily I have BSA's, department directors, and PM's to run interference for me. I fix things. They deal with the BS.

:)

Geekbabe

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 16, 1999
www.theshoppinqueen.com

No, this person had an attitude with me from the start. As soon as I walked into the room. I don't kiss ass to get ahead in life. Maybe you do. Unfortunatley if the end-user is not willing to listen to the solution or act within reason. We have have a problem with the end user. It's a TWO WAY STREET. Again using your philosophy you couldn't of fixed the problem within the 2 mins she needed the fix. That was as I previouslly indicated her stubborness and inability to propertly project what she needed. I can't read minds.......

Lol,it's not about "kissing ass" it is about knowing my job role and doing my best to reflect well on my manager.

I do everything humanly possible to ensure customer satisfaction, in difficult situations I document,document.document and report that info back to my manager to act on as he see's fit but at no point do I leave a customer feeling like they've been treated anything but kindly and professionally by me.They may well be idiots but it isn't my job to inform them of this :)

Hayabusa Rider

Admin Emeritus & Elite Member
Jan 26, 2000
*flashback music plays*

I remember a bazillion years ago a hospital was trying out some very very high tech imaging techniques. The fellow in charge was an MIT PhD who developed most of the techniques and systems used. He also had some EE students in a rotation assisting him. Well the head of radiology decides to come and visit. He really had no idea what was going on, and he really didn't need to. He decided he wanted to know particulars about the equipment but he hadn't the necessary technical background to get it to his satisfaction. That of course was the fault of everyone else, because in his personal opinion of himself was more or less that he was intellectually superior to everyone else, and the "idiot" engineers didn't know shit.

I should mention that the head of this project was one of the most brilliant people I have ever met. He wasn't a plain genius, he was a savant.

At the declaration of the doc that they were all just stupid, he gave a diagram to him and walked out with everyone else.

The important thing here is that the one person in the entire country who could do what was required just got pissed off royally, and the hospital wanted very badly to have this feather in their cap.

The administrator begged to no avail for him to come back, and after about a week the administrator was given three choices.

Everyone takes their stuff and leaves.

or

they fire the radiologist

or

the radiologist makes a very public apology.

Well the first two didn't happen, but the doc was forced to eat crow. I understand it was a very rewarding moment. :p

Slew Foot

Lifer
Sep 22, 2005
1. She's the one making money for the hospital.

2. She's harder to replace than you.

You lose on both counts.

oogabooga

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2003
Originally posted by: Slew Foot
1. She's the one making money for the hospital.

2. She's harder to replace than you.

You lose on both counts.

I'm pretty sure IT is WAY more important than a doctor is to a hospital. You're crazy ;) Especially an IT pro as skilled, talented, and great as the op and his great glory!

Joemonkey

Diamond Member
Mar 3, 2001

Lol,it's not about "kissing ass" it is about knowing my job role and doing my best to reflect well on my manager.

I do everything humanly possible to ensure customer satisfaction, in difficult situations I document,document.document and report that info back to my manager to act on as he see's fit but at no point do I leave a customer feeling like they've been treated anything but kindly and professionally by me.They may well be idiots but it isn't my job to inform them of this :)

Still, just because she may make the hospital money doesn't mean she can be an ass to anyone else, or expect them to provide things they don't ask for. Perhaps she needed to be knocked down a peg or 2, and taught a lesson? I've done IT for lawyers before, and after they realized their billable hours suffered due to their lack of technical understanding or their lack of consideration for giving IT pertinent information, they asked for some training classes and started asking more questions and/or giving much more information when they would put in a request.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Joemonkey

Still, just because she may make the hospital money doesn't mean she can be an ass to anyone else, or expect them to provide things they don't ask for. Perhaps she needed to be knocked down a peg or 2, and taught a lesson? I've done IT for lawyers before, and after they realized their billable hours suffered due to their lack of technical understanding or their lack of consideration for giving IT pertinent information, they asked for some training classes and started asking more questions and/or giving much more information when they would put in a request.

But what your indicating here is the key players (in this case the lawyers) STEPPED UP TO THE PLATE and admited they needed training. Most doctors won't do this. Attorneys think in fields of logic and they set their differences and especial social status asside and understood if they don't do a certian action they will have problems....

sjwaste

Diamond Member
Aug 2, 2000
Originally posted by: Cuular
This sounds like a pompous ass admin, that doesn't understand what their job is.

It's your job to provide the Dcotors with what they need to do their job.

And in case you haven't noticed, medical school teaches them to be a doctor not a technically inclined computer user. It's your job to help them become better computer users, and hopefully in a professional, understanding way.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, IT and it's related support fields are a service industry.

What you should have said is "Next time please let me know in advance the name of any software that you might use, and I'll make sure it's installed. If you'd like, and you have the installation media, I'll install what you need right now, for today."

Then you go back to your office/cube compose a neutral email detailing what happened, and what you did to fix the situation, send it to her, your boss, and her boss if she has one.

That way you let the bosses know what happened, and that you responded in a profesisonal mannner to the situation. Then offered to make sure in the future she has what she needs when she needs it.

/thread

Pepsei

Lifer
Dec 14, 2001
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Heh, are you new to IT? This is a very common occurrance :)

yea... if she have technical knowledge, you wouldn't have a job. she's the reason you have a job, be thankful.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
The "value" that doctors add just really depends on the doctor and the specialty. Bariatric surgeons, cath labs, and a lot of the interventional practices are huge money makers for a hosptial/health care system.

Others are nothing more than service providers much like an IT department. They can save money through good service and rapid, efficient responses, or they can bleed money out of a health care system with power tripping tactics and ignoring any advice of peers or other ancillary services.

There are bad doctors that make a lot of money. Their are good doctors that make a ton of money. There are good doctors that are perenial money losers. There are bad doctors that are money losers.

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
I work with surgeons all the time. Some are way cool.....some are assholes. It is not uncommon for surgeons to have the "God Complex". Piss on everyone, they're stressed and have important jobs! /sarcasm

OP, brush it off.

People arguing with OP: You just don't get it, either that or you think being pissed on is an "opportunity".

TechAZ

Golden Member
Sep 8, 2007
Originally posted by: Joemonkey

Only thing you can do is forget about it. Many doctors do NOT want to be taught anything by anyone w/o a MD, nor do they have time for that. I have seen my fare share of surg techs running out of the OR balling their eyes out from being treated like trash, the very ones who were banging the Doc only days before while his and her spouse was gone.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Pepsei
Originally posted by: Nocturnal
Heh, are you new to IT? This is a very common occurrance :)

yea... if she have technical knowledge, you wouldn't have a job. she's the reason you have a job, be thankful.

I'm a developer. I don't expect doctors to know how to program but I expect them to have basic computer skills. If all the doctors did that it won't put me out of anyplace just make my job easier.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: TechAZ
I work with surgeons all the time. Some are way cool.....some are assholes. It is not uncommon for surgeons to have the "God Complex". Piss on everyone, they're stressed and have important jobs! /sarcasm

OP, brush it off.

People arguing with OP: You just don't get it, either that or you think being pissed on is an "opportunity".

:thumbsup:

KMFJD

Lifer
Aug 11, 2005

From what the op has stated, you would still fail badly in appeasing this Doctor at that time.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: KMFJD

From what the op has stated, you would still fail badly in appeasing this Doctor at that time.

Exactly. If she was in my same shoes she wouldn't be able to do anything to appease this doctor. As a matter of fact the more you try to do the more she will try to think you are trying to make her look ignorant. But that is the type of thing I have to deal with every once and a while.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
i don't deal with pompous ass doctors. i just give them a look that i'm not here to take their shit. i let them know i'm in the profession and they 99% of the time come around quickly.