Dealing with pompous ass doctors

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
I work at a hospital as a computer systems analyst. Unfortunately one of my little side jobs that I've been given responsibility is setting up a projector for the various presentations these doctors are having.

Now just to give you an idea of the technical incompetence. A group of people signing up for a basic "How to use a computer course" have better knowledge then these doctors.

Doctor communicates to his/her secretary that I will need a laptop and projector at 8:00 in the morning. I bring it up to the room and set it up and leave. She comes in evidently and now is bitching it needs internet access and some special software which she never specified in the first place. I explain to her it was supposed to be specified earlier. She says all the computers on her units have this why doesn?t this laptop have this????? I explain it's a loaner laptop and it only has very limited usage and if that was necessary you needed to make prior arrangements. She cops and attitude and leaves taking her residents with her.

Please keep in mind this is a doctor who still is using a floppy disk to save all her files LOLOLOLOL.... She also doesn?t have enough technical vocabulary to explain to me what she needs. God I can't wait till I quit.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
well, if it makes you feel any better just think she probably deals with so much stress that her heart will explode at a relatively young age. in the meantime try not to let her overflowing stresses affect you too

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: lozina
well, if it makes you feel any better just think she probably deals with so much stress that her heart will explode at a relatively young age. in the meantime try not to let her overflowing stresses affect you too

I think by 2008 people should have a very basic technical understanding. It's like me getting angry at the mail man because I keep getting bills.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: steppinthrax
Originally posted by: FoBoT
is she a brain surgeon?

Some sort of psycholgist. In my personal opinion they are the lowest form of MD. I've dealt with better doctors.

Get her something older then... like a vintage "laptop" from the 80's and see what she says then.

potato28

Diamond Member
Jun 27, 2005

I think by 2008 people should have a very basic technical understanding. It's like me getting angry at the mail man because I keep getting bills.

This is true.

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Try working with a cardiologist that brings in a stopwatch and measures the time it takes to electronically sign and confirm an EKG and compares it to how quick he can do it on paper.

It takes him 6 seconds on paper, but 24 seconds on the computer. That's costing him $68 a day in EKG reading fees.

*uhg*

Jeeebus

Diamond Member
Aug 29, 2006
#1 cure for pompous doctors: refer to them as Mr. or Ms. as opposed to Dr.

It's actually kinda funny to watch their facial expressions:

Me: Hello Mr. Smith.

Ass: Dr. Smith.

Me: Ok Mr. Smith

Ass: ...

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: potato28
is she a brain surgeon?

Some sort of psycholgist. In my personal opinion they are the lowest form of MD. I've dealt with better doctors.

Get her something older then... like a vintage "laptop" from the 80's and see what she says then.

She saves all her files on floppy disk. All of the new computers we have don't have floppy drives. They take the extra mile of getting her an external USB floppy drive. Which is another pain because as we all know how unreliabilie a floppy disk usually is she bitches when her 200 page word document becomes corrupted.

lozina

Lifer
Sep 10, 2001
Originally posted by: Jeeebus

Then you wake up one day with your royal jewels surgically removed...

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006

I believe there is a wrong way and a right way when dealing with people. I've dealt with all different types of people. I treat a cleaning person with the same respect as anybody else.

TecHNooB

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2005
Originally posted by: Jeeebus

:)

Special K

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2000
This is why I would never, ever work in a medical facility unless I was a doctor. Heck, maybe they even have their own pecking order within the hospital/clinic and are rude to the other doctors who rank below them.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Special K
This is why I would never, ever work in a medical facility unless I was a doctor. Heck, maybe they even have their own pecking order within the hospital/clinic and are rude to the other doctors who rank below them.

My boss is cool. I talked to my boss directly after this problem (CYA). I explained to him what happened. He said that is the way they are and unfortunatley since they are the one's making the money for the hospital we have to accomodate them. He also said they are paid for their medical expertise not their technical experties. Another reason why I want to leave.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
is she a brain surgeon?

no no, those would be the pathologists ;)

Pliablemoose

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
Give her a USB flash drive & show her how to use it.

Hell, give her 2 on a keychain & make a friend for life. :D

Cuular

Aug 2, 2001
This sounds like a pompous ass admin, that doesn't understand what their job is.

It's your job to provide the Dcotors with what they need to do their job.

And in case you haven't noticed, medical school teaches them to be a doctor not a technically inclined computer user. It's your job to help them become better computer users, and hopefully in a professional, understanding way.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, IT and it's related support fields are a service industry.

What you should have said is "Next time please let me know in advance the name of any software that you might use, and I'll make sure it's installed. If you'd like, and you have the installation media, I'll install what you need right now, for today."

Then you go back to your office/cube compose a neutral email detailing what happened, and what you did to fix the situation, send it to her, your boss, and her boss if she has one.

That way you let the bosses know what happened, and that you responded in a profesisonal mannner to the situation. Then offered to make sure in the future she has what she needs when she needs it.

Jhill

Diamond Member
Oct 28, 2001
I used to work in a convention center. Trust me poeple are idiots in general when it comes to that stuff. It's not limited to doctors.

"why doesn't my laptop have the internet on it, I get it at my office"

because you're not at your office dumbfuck.

Swear to god I had a lady come in and ask to borrow a microphone once. She thought she could take it next door to her office and just turn it on and sounds would fill the room. I tried to explain she would need speakers of some kind, but I don't think she could comprehend it.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Pliablemoose
Give her a USB flash drive & show her how to use it.

Hell, give her 2 on a keychain & make a friend for life. :D

I've told her once they are dirt cheap. Hell I told her you can get them for like $14.00 at walmart. That was around a yr ago when you could get 1 gig for like 14 bucks. Now it's like 4 gigs for 27 bucks

paulxcook

Diamond Member
May 1, 2005
Originally posted by: Cuular
This sounds like a pompous ass admin, that doesn't understand what their job is.

And in case you haven't noticed, medical school teaches them to be a doctor not a technically inclined computer user. It's your job to help them become better computer users, and hopefully in a professional, understanding way.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, IT and it's related support fields are a service industry.

What you should have said is "Next time please let me know in advance the name of any software that you might use, and I'll make sure it's installed. If you'd like, and you have the installation media, I'll install what you need right now, for today."

Then you go back to your office/cube compose a neutral email detailing what happened, and what you did to fix the situation, send it to her, your boss, and her boss if she has one.

That way you let the bosses know what happened, and that you responded in a profesisonal mannner to the situation. Then offered to make sure in the future she has what she needs when she needs it.

Oh bullshit. It's 2008. If my 79 year old grandmother can figure this stuff out a doctor can. It's not a matter of not having time or being unable to comprehend it. It's about thinking you're above everyone else. It's just how many of them are.

steppinthrax

Diamond Member
Jul 17, 2006
Originally posted by: Cuular

Within reason. I provide whatever tools the doctors need. However, they need to project to me what they need. I'm not a mind reader nor David Copperfield. If I wasen't told before and it needs to be done that instant I can only say it was never specified beforhand. But this doctor didn't even understand that language.

I'm working on my Master's in Computer Science. Part of my major is taking business management courses as well as speech classes. I am currently taking a project management course along with my other Computer Science courses.

That is what I said. But it didn't sink in. It's really boils down to "I'm a doctor and you can't argue with me" type of attitude.

I did this to only CYA. Because I don't want this doctor to come to her boss and his boss and so on talking all kinds of BS.