DEAL DEAD: Hotter than a microwave tower: Target Microsoft wireless bundles $79.99 after M$ MIR (Retail$200+)

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Yo2

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: patrickj
Is this only configurable with a browser? I actually prefer to telnet into the device and configure it. I didn't notice if it has any ports other than an ethernet port. Can anyone that has one of these comment on the ports if any...I'm curious if it has a serial port that can be used for access if you are having problems getting in via a browser. Finally, I did notice on the MS documentation that some features/functionality are not available in Windows 2000. Can anyone comment on that? I'm planning on using this with XP Pro and Win2k laptops. Thanks...:D

No serial port, in fact most of the routers I have been using do not have a serial port anymore (I know the smc had it and some d-links feature it, but the main purpose nowerdays seems to be to allow to hook up a serial dial-up modem - telnet is an afterthought) If you have any problems with the browser interface (it never happened to me though) you can always reset the router.

Yo

thawolfman

Lifer
Dec 9, 2001
Sweet!

My target had one of each left, desktop and notebook, but the notebook package was ticketed @ 179. I took it over to the scanner and it came up as $99 :D

Setup was so simple, and the card works well pretty much throughout my house.

Where's the MIR at? Buried somewhere in the thread?

nater

Diamond Member
Jun 18, 2001
no kits in the Crawfordsville, IN Target.....although I suppose they could be hiding somewhere. I searched for a good 15 minutes, and asked a clerk, who of course had no idea what the hell I was talking about.

Jeraden

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the heads up. Got the last one at my Target (desktop). They had the $99 price right on the shelf. Says xbox compatible on the box. Thats good as I wasn't sure how I was going to be able to get xbox live up and running since the xbox is on an entirely different floor from my computers. This will help out immensely!

SixSky

Jun 2, 2002
Just tried my baby. Easy installation. just install the software and plug the router, everything's fine..............and when i used it in the school lab, just pluged it in and even didn't use the software. It's working...........................My friend's notebook found it automatically(no software, non-M$ NIC). Running about 5/6hr with no problem. The only bad thing is: the tranfer rate is only up to 300k/s.........too low...

anyway, for just 90 bucks. good deal for every one

Yo2

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2001
300kb/s - that must be either your network or possibly interference - it's a lab right ;)

patrickj

Platinum Member
Dec 7, 2000
Thanks for the info...I'm using a NetGear RT314. I can telnet into it and there is a serial port for a direct connect. I haven't looked at these routers in a while. I guess they have become much easier to use.

Originally posted by: Yo2
Originally posted by: patrickj
Is this only configurable with a browser? I actually prefer to telnet into the device and configure it. I didn't notice if it has any ports other than an ethernet port. Can anyone that has one of these comment on the ports if any...I'm curious if it has a serial port that can be used for access if you are having problems getting in via a browser. Finally, I did notice on the MS documentation that some features/functionality are not available in Windows 2000. Can anyone comment on that? I'm planning on using this with XP Pro and Win2k laptops. Thanks...:D

No serial port, in fact most of the routers I have been using do not have a serial port anymore (I know the smc had it and some d-links feature it, but the main purpose nowerdays seems to be to allow to hook up a serial dial-up modem - telnet is an afterthought) If you have any problems with the browser interface (it never happened to me though) you can always reset the router.

Yo

ricerx

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
i went to one target on my way home from work and they had it for 179.00 (hayward), then went to the foster city one and they had only the dekstop ones for 99. picked one up. checked out a third one (ssf) they didn't have any. Went to colma and they had about 6 of each for 99. picked up a notebook one for a friend

Hardballpete

Oct 5, 2000
Da-um-um-um-ummmm! I got the desktop networking kit also for $99.99 at the Super Target in Lauderhill, Florida. Shelf says $179.99, but scans at the hot delicious deal price of $99.99! One word describes my feelings... Beeeeeeuuuuuuutiful!

Anyone in South Florida looking for this, they had a few in stock at 9 am in that Lauderhill Super Target located at University Drive & Commercial Blvd.

already set it up to network 2 computers and it's running smooth as a baby's tuchose! Did the firmware upgrade already also! So far, so good my brothers!

spanky

Lifer
Jun 19, 2001
Originally posted by: Hardballpete
Da-um-um-um-ummmm! I got the desktop networking kit also for $99.99 at the Super Target in Lauderhill, Florida. Shelf says $179.99, but scans at the hot delicious deal price of $99.99! One word describes my feelings... Beeeeeeuuuuuuutiful!

Anyone in South Florida looking for this, they had a few in stock at 9 am in that Lauderhill Super Target located at University Drive & Commercial Blvd.

already set it up to network 2 computers and it's running smooth as a baby's tuchose! Did the firmware upgrade already also! So far, so good my brothers!

by any chance could u help me pick one up? :)

TallBill

Lifer
Apr 29, 2001
First store i went to didnt have it at all.. never did...

Second store had it for the 99 price :p

rcraig

Jan 3, 2001
Just got a call from a co-worker I told about this deal. He was at the Target in Macon, GA.
3 desktops and 3 Laptops were on the shelf and he wanted to know if I wanted one.
All were $99. Not sure how many he picked up because another co-worker wanted one, too.
I don't have a need for it or the money, so come on down! The price is right in Macon!

RCraig

Hook

Jul 3, 2001
I picked one up last night. Both the Ridgedale and Hwy7&101 Targets in western burbs of Minneapolis still had a bunch of them for $100.

Anyone know where to get just the driver for the PCMCIA card? I don't see it on the MS site and I didn't really want to install all the junk that the CD is going to want to put on my laptop...

Yo2

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Hook
I picked one up last night. Both the Ridgedale and Hwy7&101 Targets in western burbs of Minneapolis still had a bunch of them for $100.

Anyone know where to get just the driver for the PCMCIA card? I don't see it on the MS site and I didn't really want to install all the junk that the CD is going to want to put on my laptop...

Just let windows detect the device and then search just for the driver on the cd. It should be in a folder designated to your OS (e.g. D:\win98) or so.

Yo

bubba

Golden Member
Oct 10, 1999

I got one in MN. I set it up in seconds to replace my old D-Link wired router.

Thanks for finding the deal!

Hook

Jul 3, 2001
I see that the router has an option to run in "bridging" mode and disables the router settings and becomes pretty much just an access point.

Right now, I have mine configured manually as an access point (disabled DHCP, the firewall, etc. and gave the LAN side an IP on my network then plugged into my current router/switch with cross-over cable). It seems to be working fine.

Would there be any advantage to selecting the "bridging mode" option in the router's config rather than doing it the way I have it set up? The reason I didn't want to use the bridging mode is because the router says that once you activate bridging mode, you will no longer be able to access the router's config screens and you have to pretty much restore the device back to factory defaults to gain access again...

woog315

Nov 26, 2002
If anyone wants to pick an extra notebook kit up when they head out, I will pay cost and shipping and you may have the UPC for the rebate.

Hook

Jul 3, 2001
Just in some quick tests: this Microsoft kit seems to perform much better than the D-Link 614+ wireless router with 650 PCMCIA card that I picked up during the black friday sales. It seems to have a much better range (the D-Link had trouble getting a connection from the basement to the second floor. The MS is having no problems so far).

Plus it's cheaper (the microsoft kit is only $100 up front and $80 AR. The D-Link black friday deals are $180 up front and $100 AR). And MS rebates are usually much more reliable and faster than Best Buy ones are. I think I'll be returning the D-Link gear...

bdubya

Dec 9, 2002
Thanks Hook,

Great reply comparing the D-Link and Microsoft products. That's what makes these boards so great!