*DEAD* Trendnet 8-port Gigabit "Green" switch, $25 + tax Microcenter

Status
Not open for further replies.

bznotins

Oct 30, 2003
Any idea if that $15 off customer appreciation coupon would work on this?

The coupon worked for me on RAM with a MIR, so I don't see any reason why it wouldn't work on this.

Great switch, I have one in 24/7 use at the house and it's a champ.

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
I have this switch and it's one of the best I got. So far I have yet to re-set or reboot the thing since day one, and that's more than a year ago. With its "green" design it barely gets warm. Just make sure you take advantage of its giga ports by connecting a giga router upstream.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
Just make sure you take advantage of its giga ports by connecting a giga router upstream.

I have a cable modem Cisco 2100 which is 100BT, and a NetGear WRN3500 wireless Gigabit router, but isn't the point of a switch that it makes a direct connection between peers and only runs as slow as the slowest device in the specific pair that are communicating?

Jiggz

Diamond Member
Mar 10, 2001
That's is correct you can't make a 10/100 NIC run on giga speed obviously. But most mobo built in NICs are gigabits rated unless you are using an older mobo.

kmmatney

Diamond Member
Jun 19, 2000
"Just make sure you take advantage of its giga ports by connecting a giga router upstream."

You have to be careful making a comment like this, as it's not correct. The switch will automatically route the connections directly, so even if you have a 100MB router, you will still see Gigabyte speeds between computers, as long as they both have Gigabit LAN. There is no need at all to get a Gigabit router, unless that is also your only hub/switch. Otherwise, you just plug your old router into one of these ports, and all Gigabit capable hardware will run at full speed. Your connection to the internet won't be Gigabit, but that's not a factor.

Spikesoldier

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2001
"Just make sure you take advantage of its giga ports by connecting a giga router upstream."

You have to be careful making a comment like this, as it's not correct. The switch will automatically route the connections directly, so even if you have a 100MB router, you will still see Gigabyte speeds between computers, as long as they both have Gigabit LAN. There is no need at all to get a Gigabit router, unless that is also your only hub/switch. Otherwise, you just plug your old router into one of these ports, and all Gigabit capable hardware will run at full speed. Your connection to the internet won't be Gigabit, but that's not a factor.

this. my router is 100mbps and is connected to my gigabit switch. but that doesnt mean i dont get a 1gbps link between my computer and my fileserver which are both on the same switch.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Anyways, it seems that this deal is now DEAD, price is showing as $39.99 when clicking on the original link.

mikeford

Diamond Member
Jan 27, 2001
So ends the deal with the March of time.

As was said above, with a Gigabit switch any two ports will run at best speed they can, limited by the slower device in throughput, but unaffected by devices on other ports.

Status
Not open for further replies.