Dead Space remake

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
Anyone pick this up? Never played the first but this looks pretty atmospheric

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
I was so excited for this game, I preordered it on steam. So far it is almost a 1:1 remake of the old game, I can play the new game from remembering the parts in the old game! Apart from that, I'm absolutely enjoying it. This is just my amateur opinion of it.

• Wow
Reactions: igor_kavinski

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Actually beat DS1 fairly recently (within the last year) so I'll definitely sit the remake out indefinitely.

I can say that so long as they really only updated the graphics and left the rest of the game alone it should translate just fine to 2023. One of the rare "horror" games that I really enjoyed because it took care of some of the stupidest horror game tropes entrenched by stuff like Resident Evil like fighting the camera and being miserly about saves so you lose a half hour of progress because you have to run all the way across the level to save your game and get killed in the process.

If you focus your leveling on Health/Armor/Plasma Cutter (or really any one weapon) and essentially ignore everything else then even dying isn't really an issue in the game, which I find helps me actually enjoy the game more.

Sulaco

Diamond Member
Mar 28, 2003
I loved the first game. Second was also superb, far more action oriented, but still a great addition with great scares and oppressive atmosphere. I feel like in some ways the first game never really got its due. It was sometimes demeaned as "just another third person shooter" or "Resident Evil 4 IN SPACE!", but that doesn't begin to describe the great atmosphere and truly disgusting/unsettling enemies and monsters. I'm a huge fan of John Carpenter's The Thing, as well as Alien, and it's hard to find many games that blend the aesthetic and feel of both those franchises quite as well as DS did. It's easily one of the best action survival horror games of the last 15 years.

Braznor

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2005
Quite the memory you got! I forget and replay old games and experience them like I was playing them for the first time.

I wish I could regain the delight and the sense of wonder of playing a game for the first time everytime I replay it. So I guess you are a fortunate one who will never run out of entertainment.

Igo69

Apr 26, 2015
I am confused as to why it is $60 and there is a Deluxe version that is $70 for a 15 year old game? Shouldn't it be like $20 or $25?

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I am confused as to why it is $60 and there is a Deluxe version that is $70 for a 15 year old game? Shouldn't it be like $20 or $25?

Its going to be the same for the last of us. A 10 year old game that is being sold for $60. People are willing to pay $60 and so that is the going price.

Jul 27, 2020
The $60 price is for new gamers who have never played the old game. If the old gamers still wanna pay that much instead of waiting for a sale, well, the game is worth it for them then.

There are plenty of old games I love that I would pay $60 for if they would only modernize them with a complete remake.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
I have it on PC and all I can say is it's great..how a remake should be made. I have not played the last of us remake on PS5 because I've played that game too many times but dead space I played it years and years ago so it feels very fresh to me.

You can also navigate the ship now with your jetpack and there's certain side quests and paths that opened up.

I still think it's one of the best survival horror games I've played. If you never played it, I would get the remake and experience it fresh as opposed to playing the original.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
I have it on PC and all I can say is it's great..how a remake should be made. I have not played the last of us remake on PS5 because I've played that game too many times but dead space I played it years and years ago so it feels very fresh to me.

You can also navigate the ship now with your jetpack and there's certain side quests and paths that opened up.

I still think it's one of the best survival horror games I've played. If you never played it, I would get the remake and experience it fresh as opposed to playing the original.

I think I'm going to have to get it. It looks really atmospheric, I'd get pretty jittery playing that with a great pair of cans on totally immersed while playing in total darkness.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013

What are some other really atmospheric, immersive and kind of scary first person shooters with great graphics? DeadSpace is 3rd person and while it still looks great, I'd prefer a 1st person shooter if that is an option. I saw Metro Exodus but it almost looks like way more role playing than shooting.

Artorias

Platinum Member
Feb 8, 2014
What are some other really atmospheric, immersive and kind of scary first person shooters with great graphics? DeadSpace is 3rd person and while it still looks great, I'd prefer a 1st person shooter if that is an option. I saw Metro Exodus but it almost looks like way more role playing than shooting.

The first two metro games are very atmospheric.

Another is STALKER Shadow of Chernobyl and Call of Pripyat.

Resident Evil 2 remake is also fantastic.

Now if you want to really shit your pants, play Alien Isolation in VR.

sze5003

Lifer
Aug 18, 2012
That's a tough one if it has to be fps and scary/horror.

Some that come to mind but may be older:

Alien isolation but it's not a shooter, absolutely crazy atmosphere and very intense to play.

Soma - first person but not a shooter, also crazy atmosphere

Prey - really good fps with a creepy and pretty intense story.

There's also fear which is an fps but also older too.

MrSquished

Lifer
Jan 14, 2013
That's a tough one if it has to be fps and scary/horror.

Some that come to mind but may be older:

Alien isolation but it's not a shooter, absolutely crazy atmosphere and very intense to play.

Soma - first person but not a shooter, also crazy atmosphere

Prey - really good fps with a creepy and pretty intense story.

There's also fear which is an fps but also older too.

I remember when F.E.A.R. came out. Fuck it, I just bought Dead Space, it does look good and the 3rd person view looks better than others I've played. Also I love sci-fi space stuff, so it's gonna be good.

Gonna play this with my Beyer T-90 or Audeze LCD-X headphones, on the PC, all lights off, just sinking into the game.

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
i have it on EA play pro, and have been playing it.

Feels like a really good remake with lots of improved graphics.
Physics in the game still does funny things tho, like massive over done pinball effect on things, or objects spazing out when near doors and they close on it.

Haven't finished the game yet... haven't had the time, but if you honestly ask me, unless you absolutely loved the series, and you really want to play the first one all over again, id wait for it to go on sale.

Reactions: GodisanAtheist
Jul 27, 2020
What are some other really atmospheric, immersive and kind of scary first person shooters with great graphics?
Check out the System Shock remake demo on gog.com

Doesn't meet the great graphics criteria but man, that game's creepy AND hard!

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Check out the System Shock remake demo on gog.com

Doesn't meet the great graphics criteria but man, that game's creepy AND hard!

-Wish they'd done a less... literal transition to 3d cause gawd damn those environments are migraine inducing.

Would have been nice to have gotten something more akin to the sleeker environments of SS2.

Jul 27, 2020
gawd damn those environments are migraine inducing.
I survived the system shock demo but trying out some Unity engine free games, my head's badly broken now. Really bad nausea. The sort one would get from being on a bumpy ride. And one of the games was pushing the GPU to 100% with crappy cartoon graphics. RX 6800 fans went full throttle.

AdamK47

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
EA knows how to make a quick buck. Throw a popular game of years past over the fence to a cheap developer that can "HD-ize, remaster, remake, or whatever" the game. They get to charge another $60 per copy.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
It's not a 1:1 remake but I'm still waiting for a sale. I do plan on playing it at some point, especially after Callisto Protocol basically just made me want to play Dead Space again.

I actually fired up the original on my main computer and man, what a mess. Not only does it look pretty bad running at today's resolutions but I couldn't figure out how to get my display to not flicker like crazy. Read a few articles quick on how to possibly remedy the weird v-sync and mouse input problems. There are fixes I guess but I ultimately kind of gave up. Felt like my monitor was going to crap out.

Nevertheless, Dead Space is one of my all-time favorites and a franchise that deserved better. You're a smelly poo DS3...

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Callisto has a better battle mechanic, its way more fluid then dead space which is just point shoot dismember, and then stomp. But you have to give dead space the credit, the action mechanic was designed 2008, so fluid combat was beyond what programmers had access to.

Story of Calisto has a better story, i really enjoyed story behind it. You realize the story as it morphs right up to almost the last arc.
Dead Space the story is very linear... you find out about 80-90% of the what the whole thing is going on, after you reach chapter 7, which is half way.

Dead Space is a cult, people will say its better, and it probably is. Overall the story from all 3 makes the whole monolith explode.
But again, combat is very old and out fashioned like Gears of War. The game feels really side railed, and your left with very little to do except follow the shiny line when you hit "X".

Crysis has a full on remake of 1-2-3 in one package, i found that 1000x more enjoyable then playing dead space. Especially since Crysis 1 offered a level of freedom not found again until we got Skyrim.