Question Dead Motherboard?

Zdos123

Jan 4, 2019
I recently changed out my AM4 motherboard for a b350 board (Asrock B350 pro 4) as my old one (MSI AB350m gaming pro) doaed, i then put my cpu (R5 1500x) into it, didn't work, so i RMAed it and it was found to be faulty, i bought a new CPU (R5 1600x) and the fans spun up bread boarded, i turned it off at the back of the power supply and i tried shorting it out (the front panel connectors) and it didn't succeed at doing anything, so i got more than the dead CPU, but then i got nothing, it was working fine when i turned it on the first time, it was stable i got into the bios, and now nothing. The PSU (Corsair TX-650m) is good as i have tested it in another computer, And the symptoms are no responses whatsoever, short power switch nothing, these where the same symptons as the first doa motherboard, except it did manage to at least spin up the cpu fan, unlike now and before, Does anyone have any ideas on fixes, or which parts i should RMA, I suspect the Motherboard, but i'm just curious as to why the fans spun up this time but not on the old motherboard which had the exact same symptoms except it never showed any sighs of life.

p.s. The old CPU and motherboard both where later discovered as being doa

Thank,

Zdos123

fastamdman

Golden Member
Nov 18, 2011
I have a feeling you are doing something wrong here mate. I would check the case wiring, or skip the case wiring and use a screw driver. Pop out the battery on the motherboard / clear cmos, this should help. Gut feeling tells me it's not dead, but that something is being done wrong.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Just checking, it is probably irrelevant, but what video card are you using? Also what RAM?

colonel

Golden Member
Apr 22, 2001
make sure the motherboard is no "grounding" with the case. It happen to me with Abit motherboard did not want to boot because a wire was ground to case.

Skyzoomer

Sep 27, 2007
I recently changed out my AM4 motherboard for a b350 board (Asrock B350 pro 4) as my old one (MSI AB350m gaming pro) doaed, i then put my cpu (R5 1500x) into it, didn't work, so i RMAed it and it was found to be faulty, i bought a new CPU (R5 1600x) and the fans spun up bread boarded, i turned it off at the back of the power supply and i tried shorting it out (the front panel connectors) and it didn't succeed at doing anything, so i got more than the dead CPU, but then i got nothing, it was working fine when i turned it on the first time, it was stable i got into the bios, and now nothing. The PSU (Corsair TX-650m) is good as i have tested it in another computer, And the symptoms are no responses whatsoever, short power switch nothing, these where the same symptons as the first doa motherboard, except it did manage to at least spin up the cpu fan, unlike now and before, Does anyone have any ideas on fixes, or which parts i should RMA, I suspect the Motherboard, but i'm just curious as to why the fans spun up this time but not on the old motherboard which had the exact same symptoms except it never showed any sighs of life.

p.s. The old CPU and motherboard both where later discovered as being doa

Second new motherboard, new CPU, power supply tested good. Able to get into BIOS the first time but now nothing. Just to cover the basics:

1. Heat sink installed on new CPU?

2. Thermal paste applied when heat sink installed?

3. Assume that the first test when able to get BIOS display was with motherboard bread boarded, but after mobo installed in case:
.... a. Did you remember to install the secondary CPU power connector?
.... b. Could be a standoff for the mobo is shorting. Have you tried removing the mobo from the case and test bread boarded again?

4. After disconnecting the power cord, do you press the power on button on the case to discharge the power supply capacitors? Or if bread boarding, do you unplug the power cord and short the power on pins on the mobo to discharge the power supply capacitors before working on the mobo like changing the cmos battery? If the removed battery falls and touches the mobo accidentally it could short the mobo if the power supply capacitors have not been discharged.

5. Do you discharge any static electricity on your body before touching anything?

6. Do you have two sticks of ram and tested using only one stick at a time in the "PRIMARY" ram slot (usually the 2nd slot from the CPU but check your mobo manual).

7. Did you test using the DVI or VGA ports on the mobo with your graphics card removed?

I'm wondering if static on your body is damaging the mobos and CPU. Too many things failing successively.

What I can think of at the moment,
Skyzoomer

Last edited: