Dead Mobo?

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
While doing some OC testing, I think I fried my mobo. I'm pretty confident that's what I did, but just want to confirm.

-PSU still provides power to mobo - led light on "power" button on mobo lights up.
-Mobo powers on for split second, fans too, then shuts off immediately. There are phase led's on it, and as far as I can tell only 2 of 4 northbridge led's light up before shutting off. All others light up.
-After mobo powers off, it cannot be turned back on unless the psu is unplugged from wall for 30 seconds.
-Tried combinations of RAM in/out and CPU in/out, but zero change. To me, this is pretty definitive that it was the mobo that blew, not the cpu.
-This is the weird part - for me anyway. No burn marks, singes, burst caps, damaged modules, or any other damage on the mobo. CPU looks 100% in tact as well.
-Reset CMOS, no change.
-Took out GPU, tried again, no change.

So, mobo dead?

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
If you see no POST ..... and just a black screen then yes the mobo has fried, and I aint talking jack in the box.

If you somehow do see a post, your mobo is not dead. Its something else causing this. gl

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
It could be a shady PSU ,,,,, since you have to unplug it and plug it in again.

So its PSU most probably, if you can see a post your CPU and mobo are fine. gl

BrightCandle

Diamond Member
Mar 15, 2007
Maybe, could also be a PSU issue or in theory you popped the CPU. Something is clearly wrong with it but you should minimise the kit plugged in just incase something else like a GPU or memory stick has failed, all of which can show odd symptoms of failure to post as well.

tweakboy

Diamond Member
Jan 3, 2010
www.hammiestudios.com
So whats next brightcandle, he should run memory check ,,,, One of the sticks might be failing.

If it passes memtest without error,, then we rule out RAM. Could be mobo or PSU now. gl

cbrunny

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 2007
I just attached a different PSU and received the same result. Not looking good for my wallet right now...

The mobo was an am3 socket Asus board, but I don't recall the name right now.