*DEAD* Intel NAS Server w/ Intel Celeron 420 1.6GHz, DDR2 & eSATA - $135

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ogiewon

Jul 23, 2003
The simplest way to install Windows Home Server (WHS) on the INtel SS4200 is to follow the guide posted at

http://www.wegotserved.com/2008/07/...ttended-windows-home-server-installation-dvd/

Using this guide, all you need to do is
-create a bootable slipstreamed WHS install kit using a 2 GB (or larger) usb flash drive
-add a qs.ini file to the root of the usb flash drive (Google "qs.ini" for the 3 lines of text)
-remove the DOM from the IDE port
-install a SATA drive in the server
-plug in the USB flash drive
-power on the server with the reset button pressed
-wait about an hour for the unattended install to complete

My new SS4200 is up and running with no issues. I also added a RS232 port to the back of it using the pre-cut punch out and the existing serial port header on the MB. Be sure to use the correct pinout (see http://www.pccables.com/07121.htm for the correct wiring.) I am using the serial port for X10 home automation. You can also access the BIOS functionality via a serial terminal (although I haven't tried it yet.)

Doomer

Diamond Member
Dec 5, 1999
What the hell are "DOS Drivers"? Are they the SATA Drivers you normally load by pressing F6?

ogiewon

Jul 23, 2003
What the hell are "DOS Drivers"? Are they the SATA Drivers you normally load by pressing F6?

The "DOS" drivers are simply the F6 Intel Sata Drivers. The Silicon Image Sata drivers can be loaded after the OS is up and running. Intel E1000 network drivers are also needed.

During the step where you are updating the boot.wim file, you only need the Intel SATA F6 files (download from Intel for the SS4200.)

During the nLite step where you are updating the WHS OS files, you need both the F6 Intel Sata drivers as well as the Intel E1000 Ethernet drivers.

After the OS is up and running, you can update Chipset drivers, Silicon Image SATA drivers, plus the Intel drivers for monitoring the health of the hardware (two separate downloads from Intel, 1st is the drivers, second is the WHS Add-In.) You can also update the VGA drivers with Intel's 945G drivers for XP (you have to run the installer in XP compatibility mode.) This allows the system to utilize S3 sleep mode even though there is no VGA connector on the MB (the graphics controller is part of the chipset still.)

Good Luck!

Vikroda

Apr 9, 2003
Thanks, ogiewon for the tips.

I had WHS installed on an old Dell whose m/b died so I want to move my data disks to the Intel NAS box. During the reinstall of WHS you can select "server reinstall" so that you keep all your data; however, how do you implement this if you're slipstreaming and don't have a monitor connected? Maybe I'll have to go the 1x pci-e converter route as suggested by ahodge. Apparently if you have a qs.ini file on you usb drive it will wipe all the data drives.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whssoftware/thread/f88ed608-4ecc-4b64-b0a2-005655805502/

Also, for those trying to get the 120-day trial license, apparently there is a glitch where you can't get the key from Connect. Also, if you do install the trial version, you'll need to do a reinstall to convert to the full version.
http://social.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/whsfaq/thread/7a323a25-01d6-4f89-91d7-01474f0a19b5

And if you do a reinstall without a monitor you'll wipe out all your data drives…

I think the way I'll do it is to add my flexraid parity drive and add that to the WHS pool. Afterwards I'll move all the files from my other 2 drives. I was hoping to avoid that.

Btw, this will be back to $150 after 12pm PST and the HP MediaSmart Server LX195 will be $200 (edit, I got all excited for nothing as this is not the EX model which can support 4 drives) (credit SD)

Last edited:

bmwme

May 10, 2001
Since my Lacie NAS just died (hopefully a new PSU shipped from Lacie will fix it) I was interested in checking out this Intel NAS. The raid function is what really draws me in, but even at $150 you'll still need to spend at least $250 to get a running Raid 1 setup and that's with tiny SATA HDD drives. Anyone have a match pair of drives they would recommend? I need a minimum of 300gb.

If you don't need NAS this seems like a pretty hot deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16859105503

Oh and BTW, are there any decent and affordable SSD NAS's out there? Having a one drive NAS sucks when it crashes! I just get my wife to use it and it dies. Now she wants something more reliable.

Last edited:

bmwme

May 10, 2001
Not bad, I was looking at those green drives. They sound perfect for the Intel NAS. So it this still a hot deal at $250 with two 500 gb drives?

Engineer

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Since my Lacie NAS just died (hopefully a new PSU shipped from Lacie will fix it) I was interested in checking out this Intel NAS. The raid function is what really draws me in, but even at $150 you'll still need to spend at least $250 to get a running Raid 1 setup and that's with tiny SATA HDD drives. Anyone have a match pair of drives they would recommend? I need a minimum of 300gb.

If you don't need NAS this seems like a pretty hot deal: http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16859105503

Oh and BTW, are there any decent and affordable SSD NAS's out there? Having a one drive NAS sucks when it crashes! I just get my wife to use it and it dies. Now she wants something more reliable.

If you need a little more space, the Samsung F2 Eco 1.5TB drives are $89.xx with FREE shipping today from Newegg.

Click me...

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
I have 4 750gb drives in mine, and it has been building the array for more than 30 hours now. slower than hell, I really hope the throughput is not this horrible.

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
I have 4 750gb drives in mine, and it has been building the array for more than 30 hours now. slower than hell, I really hope the throughput is not this horrible.

Still building. It is getting to the point where I could have written the ones and zeros out on paper faster. I am not impressed so far.

ahodge

Nov 8, 2004
Still building. It is getting to the point where I could have written the ones and zeros out on paper faster. I am not impressed so far.

Sounds to me like you have a problem. Are you just building a software raid array or what? I was up and running with Windows Home Server from brand new fresh 4x1TB drives in less than 2 hrs including tear down and rebuild. But, if you're building an array, it sounds like you're not using WHS. What's your OS? FreeNAS?
-Alex

Evadman

Feb 18, 2001
What's your OS? FreeNAS?
-Alex

The built in OS. I just followed the instructions and tossed in 4 750gb drives expecting the server to build a RAID5 array as the instructions state.

ahodge

Nov 8, 2004
The built in OS. I just followed the instructions and tossed in 4 750gb drives expecting the server to build a RAID5 array as the instructions state.

Oh...Wow. Well, I've never heard of this problem before. Is it making progress or what? I'm sure that 30+hrs=broken.
-Alex

Status
Not open for further replies.