[DEAD] HOT: PartsExpress 6' Optical Cable - $3.25 shipped! 12' Optical Cable - $4.50 shipped!

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

dpham00

Aug 9, 2001
Usually you can substitute a good quality RCA component cable for the coax. I ve been using mine that way for ages with out any problems.

as long as it's 75 ohm, i don't think it really makes a difference.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Electronics4Life
is the free shippping gone?

Looks like free shipping is still available at both buy.com and PartsExpress.

If you need the link to free shipping at PartsExpress just PM me.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Usually you can substitute a good quality RCA component cable for the coax. I ve been using mine that way for ages with out any problems.

You can, but you won't be able to have 5.1 digital surround sound, since RCA cables can't handle a digital stream.

also, does anyone know if there s-video cables for only $4 are any good? I tried my friends $40 Monster Cable hookup compared to a $10 radio shack one I had and couldn't tell a difference. How are parts express?

JahWren

Dec 31, 2000
You can, but you won't be able to have 5.1 digital surround sound, since RCA cables can't handle a digital stream.

Baloney. Digital is digital. If it will handle PCM it will handle Dolby Digital and DTS. I've even done 6.1 through my RCA cables. It isn't like these bit-rates are particularly high or anything.

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Straight from the Dolby.com

1. If you are playing DVDs through a two-channel stereo system, or an older home theater system that provides only Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoding (and not Dolby Digital), you should connect the player?s analog stereo output to a spare stereo input on the playback system. The two-channel Dolby Digital decoder built into the player will ?downmix? 5.1-channel Dolby Digital programming, such as movie soundtracks, to Dolby Surround-encoded analog stereo.

2. If you have a home theater system with a 5.1-channel Dolby Digital decoder, as provided by most A/V receivers today, connect the player?s digital audio output to an appropriate digital input on the receiver. Some players provide both optical and coax digital outputs; both work equally well, so use whichever connector corresponds to the digital input on the playback system. If the player has only one kind of connector, and the playback system has only the other kind, you will need a special adapter cable. Check with your retailer or an electronics accessories store.

So basically, if you are using RCA cables, you are downmixing the signal and not getting true 5.1 sound. Sorta like saying Dolby Pro-Logic II is 5.1.

myn

Aug 4, 2001
Originally posted by: austin316
Straight from the Dolby.com

1. If you are playing DVDs through a two-channel stereo system, or an older home theater system that provides only Dolby Surround Pro Logic decoding (and not Dolby Digital), you should connect the player?s analog stereo output to a spare stereo input on the playback system. The two-channel Dolby Digital decoder built into the player will ?downmix? 5.1-channel Dolby Digital programming, such as movie soundtracks, to Dolby Surround-encoded analog stereo.

2. If you have a home theater system with a 5.1-channel Dolby Digital decoder, as provided by most A/V receivers today, connect the player?s digital audio output to an appropriate digital input on the receiver. Some players provide both optical and coax digital outputs; both work equally well, so use whichever connector corresponds to the digital input on the playback system. If the player has only one kind of connector, and the playback system has only the other kind, you will need a special adapter cable. Check with your retailer or an electronics accessories store.

So basically, if you are using RCA cables, you are downmixing the signal and not getting true 5.1 sound. Sorta like saying Dolby Pro-Logic II is 5.1.

JahWren and dpham00 both are saying use an RCA cable and connect it to the digital coaxial output of your DVD player and connect it to the digital coaxial input of your receiver. They do not mean connect it to the analog source of each.

And they are both correct, the digital signal will be able to pass through standard RCA cable connecting from digital coaxial out to digital coaxial in.

MiniThug

Golden Member
Sep 10, 2000
Is the free shipping no longer working? When I enter the link it says product not found. Can someone PM and help out? Thanks!

kbear

Aug 26, 2002
Originally posted by: MiniThug
Is the free shipping no longer working? When I enter the link it says product not found. Can someone PM and help out? Thanks!

yeah, I can't get the link to work either. sorry for asking...but what do ya mean by 'PM'? :eek:

austin316

Diamond Member
Dec 1, 2001
Bump for a scorching deal. Two 6 foot s-video cables, one 25 foot s-video cable, and one coax digital cable and one optical digital cable, shipped to my door for $22. Thanks for the heads up.

<---- Proud of his budget busting ht setup that includes the panasonic SA-HE100K 6 Channel Receiver.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
It appears the buy.com price for the cable has been bumped up to $7.99 but it does still qualify for free shipping.

To all of you who are PMing me saying that Peetah's site isn't working, well, I don't know what the heck you're talking about cause it works just fine for me. I'm hesitant to link directly to the free shipping page, but Peetah's page does still work.

Here it is

dpham00

Aug 9, 2001
JahWren and dpham00 both are saying use an RCA cable and connect it to the digital coaxial output of your DVD player and connect it to the digital coaxial input of your receiver. They do not mean connect it to the analog source of each.

And they are both correct, the digital signal will be able to pass through standard RCA cable connecting from digital coaxial out to digital coaxial in.

there is virtually no difference between the sound quality using coax or optical cables. the only way you might be able to tell is if you have $10k worth of audio equipment, and even then you'd have to listen very closely. of course, coax does degrade faster than optical, so if you're running the cable for 50m, then the optical would be better.

JahWren

Dec 31, 2000
If the intermediary site isn't working for you, just search for SKU# LNP08 and add it to your cart, worked fine for me this morning and I just searched for it about 30 minutes ago and it came up again.

flight23

Aug 5, 2000
by the way all of the links on peterpx's page are referral links so he's making money off this

flight23

Aug 5, 2000
by the way all of the links on peterpx's page are referral links so he's making money off this

ChrisOjeda

May 3, 2002
If this is true....then that is wrong that we were not at least informed....but if it is not true then flight23 owes him a big "sorry"....

vladgur

Golden Member
Jul 31, 2000
It definitely looks like a referall pass-through link.
THe question is why would a Diamond Member like Yzzim not only post a link to a page with refferals, but also post a couple of referral links in his/her message?

xolus

Dec 16, 2001
Excellent!!!

I got myself 4 of these. Who know why if I only have 2 things that connect through optical, but I'm sure I'll find use for the other two. hehe. :D