[DEAD]Here's something you don't see every day; Kodak 480GB SSD $39.99 at Woot (fulfilled by Amazon)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, which Taiwanese company bought / licensed Kodak's name for making SSDs?

Kind of like AMD's Radeon SSDs. (Not made by AMD, btw.)

13Gigatons

Diamond Member
Apr 19, 2005
Don't really think of Kodak as Computer tech....their cameras were pretty bad as well. However the $40 price is pretty hot.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah, the price is "good", sort-of. But if the quality is down there like those re-labeled "Inland Pro" drives, then I want no part of them.

Are there any reviews of these drives?

Edit: Plus, they don't take Paypal, only CC, ever since Woot! got bought out by Amazon. So, no thanks for me.

Edit: Plus... it's Woot!... their products, if new and not refurb, bascally are EOL.

Friend bought a nice GPS, it was new, but as it turned out, discontinued from mfg, no new maps available for it.

Friend and I bought some VisionTek / AMD USB NTSC tuners, Win7 had been released, but these only worked in XP, or with XP drivers in Win7 32-bit.

Like I said, Woot! sells mostly "crap". Discontinued and Refurb products.

They probably found these Kodak drives in a warehouse somewhere, and they have no warranty.

Then again, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues, they are SATA after all. Just really a question of how reliable they are and how long they will last.

Are these "vintage" (MLC), or newer TLC, or worse, DRAM-less TLC, or new enough production that they are 3D NAND (somehow)?

If they're 3D NAND, then don't let my scare-mongering scare you off, because the controller chips necessary to drive a 3D NAND-based SSD, are new enough that they should be reliable, regardless of mfg (mostly).

I mean, these probably aren't any worse than those Inland Pro drives, and some people bought those. (I wouldn't touch them, after reading customer reviews.)

NEVERMIND. The picture shows that they say right on them, "3D NAND" and "Phison Controller". I might be in for a few then.

Edit: Well, the 3D NAND support won me over, hopefully they don't suck as bad as the "Inland Pro" drives. I ordered a few of them.

http://www.kodakflash.com/kodak-ssd.html

Seems these are a current product?

Power up your computer in seconds and discover a new era of computing!

• Up to 500MB/s write speed
  • Up to 520MB/s read speed
  • Capacities: 120, 240, 480, 960GB
  • 3 years warranty

Seems reasonable specs and warranty? Guess I was wrong.

Edit: HERE is the original SSD. These Kodak X150 SSDs, are re-labeled EMTEC X150 SSDs.

http://www.emtec-international.com/en/drives/hdd-ssd/x150-ssd-power-plus

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review...r-plus-x150-240gb-solid-state-drive-review-2/

Seems like these SSDs are re-labeled 2015-era drives. Hmpf. Guess I was right, Woot! does only sell obsolete and refurb stuffs.

http://www.kodakflash.com/download/product-sheet/ssd/kodak-internal-ssd-x150.pdf

Last edited:
Reactions: Jeomite

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I should of checked here first but my research lead to the same thing. Looking on Amazon for one of their drives there are 4 reviews. 3 of which say their drive died quickly, with two saying that Emtec doesn’t honor their warranty. They will apparently not respond to warranty requests.
After reading that, I’m going to avoid these drives like the plague.

I should have checked the Woot! discussion thread for this product, before purchasing several. Apparently, it's a bit of a "dud" drive. :(

Edit: It just says "one of their drive" referring to the Amazon review. Emtec probably makes or made several different drive models, with different controllers and NAND.

The only "Pro" site review of the EMTEC SSD Power Plus 240GB, showed that they had "unknown" NAND in them.

I like how they couldn’t even get SATA III right on the label…
“SAT III” coupled with the inconsistent capitalization and bad kerning makes this thing look like a counterfeit, even if it’s not.
If they can’t even get their label right, I don’t really have high confidence in their ability to manufacture the drive properly, either.
LOL. I missed that. They spelled "SATA" wrong on the label???

Last edited:

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Yeah, the price is "good", sort-of. But if the quality is down there like those re-labeled "Inland Pro" drives, then I want no part of them.

Are there any reviews of these drives?

Edit: Plus, they don't take Paypal, only CC, ever since Woot! got bought out by Amazon. So, no thanks for me.

Edit: Plus... it's Woot!... their products, if new and not refurb, bascally are EOL.

Friend bought a nice GPS, it was new, but as it turned out, discontinued from mfg, no new maps available for it.

Friend and I bought some VisionTek / AMD USB NTSC tuners, Win7 had been released, but these only worked in XP, or with XP drivers in Win7 32-bit.

Like I said, Woot! sells mostly "crap". Discontinued and Refurb products.

They probably found these Kodak drives in a warehouse somewhere, and they have no warranty.

Then again, there shouldn't be any compatibility issues, they are SATA after all. Just really a question of how reliable they are and how long they will last.

Are these "vintage" (MLC), or newer TLC, or worse, DRAM-less TLC, or new enough production that they are 3D NAND (somehow)?

If they're 3D NAND, then don't let my scare-mongering scare you off, because the controller chips necessary to drive a 3D NAND-based SSD, are new enough that they should be reliable, regardless of mfg (mostly).

I mean, these probably aren't any worse than those Inland Pro drives, and some people bought those. (I wouldn't touch them, after reading customer reviews.)

NEVERMIND. The picture shows that they say right on them, "3D NAND" and "Phison Controller". I might be in for a few then.

Edit: Well, the 3D NAND support won me over, hopefully they don't suck as bad as the "Inland Pro" drives. I ordered a few of them.

http://www.kodakflash.com/kodak-ssd.html

Seems these are a current product?

Power up your computer in seconds and discover a new era of computing!

• Up to 500MB/s write speed
  • Up to 520MB/s read speed
  • Capacities: 120, 240, 480, 960GB
  • 3 years warranty

Seems reasonable specs and warranty? Guess I was wrong.

Edit: HERE is the original SSD. These Kodak X150 SSDs, are re-labeled EMTEC X150 SSDs.

http://www.emtec-international.com/en/drives/hdd-ssd/x150-ssd-power-plus

http://www.pureoverclock.com/Review...r-plus-x150-240gb-solid-state-drive-review-2/

Seems like these SSDs are re-labeled 2015-era drives. Hmpf. Guess I was right, Woot! does only sell obsolete and refurb stuffs.

http://www.kodakflash.com/download/product-sheet/ssd/kodak-internal-ssd-x150.pdf
Thanks for the giggles, u say stay away then say ur in for a few !! ^_^ hehehehhe
Wish I could convince you that better parts are just a diet coke away in price. I dont think there is anything wrong wth the drives just trying to clear old stuff off the shelf. Kodak brand sounds fine to me verbatim is the same type brand they produce dvdr cdr digital media so why not branch out. I have some kodek cdr I think from 20 years ago works fine, they developed hybrid dye for the discs.. they are not just a Polaroid company..

As far as my choices I buy intel and samsung for ssd. I went out and got the first non intep/samsung hp ex920 impulse buy should have got another 970 pro but hopefully it lasts all the same.. (never had a ssd die so far and have at least 30 in action across my devices.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Of course, now that I've purchased "a few" of these "ultra-budget" 480GB SATA SSDs, expect the price on the 1st-tier (Intel/Samsung) to drop to match these in a few months, and then I'll be kicking myself because they will be virtually unsalable.

But maybe the older folks here in this complex will "remember Kodak" (hopefully fondly), and be happy / proud to own a shiny new "Kodak" SSD for their older laptops. (I do that occasionally, an SSD / OS upgrade for older laptops and PCs.)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I just got mine today, a few days ahead of their estimated delivery date, in an Amazon box (well, the deal did say "Fulfilled by Amazon).

A little disappointed, sort of. There's no mention of "3D NAND", anywhere on the drive, back of box, front of box, anywhere. These could well be crap TLC 2D drives. No mention of Phison, either.

The packaging is different from what Woot! showed entirely. They showed a drive in a retail bubble-pack, mine came in boxes. Their pictures showed the drive itself, printed with "Phison" and "3D NAND", no-where on the drive or packaging on the drives I received are those marks.

Mine says "POWER MEMORY X150 SERIES", "Upgrade your HDD to SSD", "2.5" SSD / SATA III 6Gb/sec", "UP TO 500MB/S", "3 YEARS WARRANTY".

Note the spec disparity, this one only says "up to 500MB/sec", I believe the Woot! listing, listed 520MB/sec for one of the specs.

Basically, Woot! was advertising one drive, and you'll get what appears to be another. Another great Woot! (specification) bait-and-switch! Thanks, Woot!

Edit: See benchmark pics in next post. These drives apparently aren't so bad, performance-wise.

Attachments

• woot 480GB SSD ad.png
    woot 480GB SSD ad.png
    565 KB · Views: 11
Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
https://ssd.userbenchmark.com/SpeedTest/547719/GIGABYTE-GP-GSTFS31120GNTD

CrystalDiskInfo reports the IDENTICAL firmware string as the drive in that UserBenchmark (A Gigabyte drive).

(
Firmware: SBFM61.3

Gigabyte GP-GSTFS31120GNTD SSD 120GB
)

Drive itself identifies as "SATA SSD 480.1 GB"

Attached is a benchmark graph, on a Ryzen B450 rig.

Edit: Added firmware string and Gigabyte SSD drive model that shares it. Could that be the same controller as these Kodak drives? Seems likely. Anyone know which controller mfgs uses version strings like that?

Attachments

• CDM Kodak Power Memory X150 480GB SATA6G 2019-04-10.png
    CDM Kodak Power Memory X150 480GB SATA6G 2019-04-10.png
    38.3 KB · Views: 10
Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Not bad looking numbers for such a cheap drive. It could have been much worse (like a cheap Kingston or Sandisk Plus).

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Yeah. Now all we need is a fire-sale on the Team Group RGB (white and black casing) 500GB SATA SSDs. That would be fun, to string up a bunch of those in an array, in cases with a window (tempered glass FTW), with SSDs that show off label-side-out against the window. Or above the PSU shroud, if applicable.

Edit: Who wants to invent an "RGB mod" for SATA 2.5" SSDs, that sticky-pads to the top label side, and plugs into an RGB controller? Could be a seller. Then Team would no longer have a monopoly on RGB SATA SSDs.

coxmaster

Diamond Member
Dec 14, 2007
Edit: Who wants to invent an "RGB mod" for SATA 2.5" SSDs, that sticky-pads to the top label side, and plugs into an RGB controller? Could be a seller. Then Team would no longer have a monopoly on RGB SATA SSDs.

You wouldn't be the first.. There's at least a couple out there already.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Now I wish that I had bought the limit of 10 of these. Prices actually seem to be slightly increasing on name-brand 480GB/500GB SATA SSDs. Crucial MX500 is going up to $69.99, Samsung $77.99. Even Silicon Power A55 "Ace" SATA 512GB SSD is hitting $59.99 or higher. What gives? Thought SSD prices were getting lower?

Edit: 2019-04-15: Silicon Power A55 "Ace" SATA 2.5" SSD is $49.99 FS for the 512GB capacity, and $29.99 for the 256GB capacity, right now. Says "Sales ends in 2 days". Pretty decent deal.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820301381&ignorebbr=1

Calling @BUTCH1 .

Last edited:

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
Now I wish that I had bought the limit of 10 of these. Prices actually seem to be slightly increasing on name-brand 480GB/500GB SATA SSDs. Crucial MX500 is going up to $69.99, Samsung $77.99. Even Silicon Power A55 "Ace" SATA 512GB SSD is hitting $59.99 or higher. What gives? Thought SSD prices were getting lower?

I heard Samsung was going to slow NAND production at some point because of falling prices (I'd have to look for the article), so maybe the others are just following their lead?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I heard Samsung was going to slow NAND production at some point because of falling prices (I'd have to look for the article), so maybe the others are just following their lead?
That's a real way to impede technological progress. I don't think that we would have had cell phones if we were still using big-iron RISC CPUs. Likewise, cheap NAND can improve technology and push it forward significantly. There's always demand for more data.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007

Edit: 2019-04-15: Silicon Power A55 "Ace" SATA 2.5" SSD is $49.99 FS for the 512GB capacity, and $29.99 for the 256GB capacity, right now. Says "Sales ends in 2 days". Pretty decent deal.

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820301381&ignorebbr=1

Calling @BUTCH1 .

Umm why would you get the limit you guys really think nvme drives are at their peak? All the phision e12 drives are so cheap and so much faster they keep dropping price raising speed and size. So what's the point in getting slow drives? Save 3$? Just work 1 hour overtime and buy a 1tb e12 drive ;P ( prices will fall forever!!!) We are never going to worry about buying the limit cuz newer greater things are around the corner. Just like everything else (cars better gas mileage faster safer etc etc for less and less each year)

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Umm why would you get the limit you guys really think nvme drives are at their peak? All the phision e12 drives are so cheap and so much faster they keep dropping price raising speed and size.
First of all, these were SATA6G 2.5" SSDs, not NVMe drives. Second, aren't the E12 NVMe HBM-based drives? Why would you conflate the two? I can upgrade older laptops with these SATA 480GB 2.5" SSDs, I cannot with an NVMe drive. That's all I'm saying, these were an (apparent, hopefully they last) bargain.
B

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Oh
First of all, these were SATA6G 2.5" SSDs, not NVMe drives. Second, aren't the E12 NVMe HBM-based drives? Why would you conflate the two? I can upgrade older laptops with these SATA 480GB 2.5" SSDs, I cannot with an NVMe drive. That's all I'm saying, these were an (apparent, hopefully they last) bargain.
B
https://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2-5-...+sata+to+sata&qid=1555388499&s=gateway&sr=8-3

So this wouldn't solve your problem? And as I stated in my opinion we will see a higher capacity for same or less $$.. u think 2tb is going to be the max for long? I bet there are 100tb sata in the near future