(Dead) Dell 1800FP 18.1" only $384 Free Ship + Tax w/ NEW 5% Coupon & 10% Auto Discount

Page 11 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

EvanGeliSt

Golden Member
Jun 24, 2002
Originally posted by: ianbergman
I have no problem with the fast shipping :) -- except that I don't have any ship information yet! Mine has said "in transit to local carrier" since about 2:00pm on Thursday. Doh. Maybe it will just show up on Monday and I'll be happy. Yeah, that'd be nice.

Same case here. I doubt it will reach on Monday though. They probably mean sending it to UPS and starting to ship on Monday. I already signed up for the order watch and didn't get any e-mail so far...

John

Moderator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: EvanGeliSt
Ygpm resinboy... got an xtra here if anyone wants to get it. Wallet's hole is too big --> needs repair :D

Btw, does anyone know if dell requires you to pay the shipping fees for returns?

Thanks!

Within 30 days Dell will issue a (free for you) call tag. You only pay the initial non-refundable shipping charge, and in this case it was free. :)

* This 1800FP looks even more amazing on my desk, and to my eyes, than it did yesterday.

kevman

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
I notice that everytome I open up "My Computer" and go to the C: drive that every thing that says "File Folder" looks wierd the "iL" in "File" look like they too clsoe together almost red. I'm using Analog. Anyone else run into this issue? MY 21" Sun Monitor doesn't do this, maybe it's the clear type thing? I tried the cleartype tuner but nothing fixed it.

EDIT: Also I played UT II 2003, and Nascar 2003. No ghosting whatsoever!!! AWESOME!!!

RS6

Mar 2, 2003
Originally posted by: kevman
I notice that everytome I open up "My Computer" and go to the C: drive that every thing that says "File Folder" looks wierd the "iL" in "File" look like they too clsoe together almost red. I'm using Analog. Anyone else run into this issue? MY 21" Sun Monitor doesn't do this, maybe it's the clear type thing? I tried the cleartype tuner but nothing fixed it.

EDIT: Also I played UT II 2003, and Nascar 2003. No ghosting whatsoever!!! AWESOME!!!

check your resolution.. unless you're running the lcd at native resolution (1280 x 1024) text will look funny in most cases

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Well I can play any of the current games out with my Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb card, I play at
1280x1024 most of the time on my 21" Sony monitor.
I had a Radeon 8500 for well over a year before aquiring the 4200 and I cannot put my games
down, I am very reluctant to go back to ATI again.

The Ti420064MB is roughly the same speed as my 8500DV, right? So your saying my card should do fine? Can i ask why you are reluctant to go back to ATI? Not that it matters much, we are all entilitled to our own opinion, I would just like to hear yours.

The ATI 9700 PRO or non PRO won't break a sweat at that resolution neither would the new 9800 PRO..
I got an ATI AIW 9700 pro and all the games I played at the RES ran without issues (selling it, can't wait for the 9800 PRO). Q]

Well from what I've heard the moddable 9500's are hard to find now and some don't even work with the mod, so I will likely not being going that route, and i definately can't afford a 9700 AIW Pro right now, maybe after the price drop when the 9800 comes out. But hopefully my card can hold its own. I may consider trading it in still for a regular video card and a stand alone TV tuner card. That way i can take advantage of Dual monitors at some point in time.

Why doesn't dell list the response time on thier LCD's? Does anyone know what the response time is on the 15" E151FPp? My Mom has it and I was just wondering how closely it compared to the 1800FP. One thing I know I will like for sure is sharp text. I think it looks decent on her monitor running at a non native res. and this isn't an ultrasharp monitor like the 1800FP. So I am sure the text on the 1800FP will be awesome when hooke dup via DVI. But i would really like to compare the response times on these monitors.

kevman

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: RS6

check your resolution.. unless you're running the lcd at native resolution (1280 x 1024) text will look funny in most cases

I'm running on Native resolution.

Kevin

John

Oct 9, 1999

Kevin

Try new video drivers and load the 1800FP (analog) driver.

kevman

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001
Originally posted by: John

Kevin

Tried it but it was the same one that came with my CD... :(

the 3/28/2002 driver correct?

K

Politik

Feb 23, 2003

Kevin

K

Many people have had problems with ClearType on this LCD. I don't think it can be remedied. I'd be interested to know what the problem is :confused:

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001

The Ti420064MB is roughly the same speed as my 8500DV, right? So your saying my card should do fine? Can i ask why you are reluctant to go back to ATI? Not that it matters much, we are all entilitled to our own opinion, I would just like to hear yours.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Nope, the Ti4200 kills the 8500 , its night and day. In fact if you have a decent Ti4200 it will easily OC to beyond Ti4600
speeds and then it will take out a 9500 Pro as well.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001
Not that it matters much, we are all entilitled to our own opinion, I would just like to hear yours.

This part of your response sounds sort of defensive or something to that effect. I only responded because I had
an 8500 for over a year and I was astonished at the performance increase, especially in real world use --(actual games
vs 3d mark and other benches)
Buy what you want I am not here to defend anybody, I am here to enjoy myself. Besides its clear that you are a poser
because you had to ask if your 8500 could play at 1280x1024 ...ha ha ha , any normal person would have just ran the
card and found out for themselves.

KrayzyAzn

Apr 10, 2002
Originally posted by: Politik

Kevin

K

Many people have had problems with ClearType on this LCD. I don't think it can be remedied. I'd be interested to know what the problem is :confused:

cleartype can only be used on this monitor if you have SP-1 installed, because this is a BGR monitor

LukFilm

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
Originally posted by: KrayzyAzn

Kevin

K

cleartype can only be used on this monitor if you have SP-1 installed, because this is a BGR monitor

Not true, I don't have SP1 and am running ClearType just fine.

mchammer187

Diamond Member
Nov 26, 2000
Originally posted by: LukFilm
Originally posted by: KrayzyAzn

Kevin

K

Not true, I don't have SP1 and am running ClearType just fine.

are you using analog though?
this problem does not apply to DVI

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: coolred
Well I can play any of the current games out with my Geforce 4 Ti4200 64mb card, I play at
1280x1024 most of the time on my 21" Sony monitor.
I had a Radeon 8500 for well over a year before aquiring the 4200 and I cannot put my games
down, I am very reluctant to go back to ATI again.

The ATI 9700 PRO or non PRO won't break a sweat at that resolution neither would the new 9800 PRO..
I got an ATI AIW 9700 pro and all the games I played at the RES ran without issues (selling it, can't wait for the 9800 PRO). Q]

Well from what I've heard the moddable 9500's are hard to find now and some don't even work with the mod, so I will likely not being going that route, and i definately can't afford a 9700 AIW Pro right now, maybe after the price drop when the 9800 comes out. But hopefully my card can hold its own. I may consider trading it in still for a regular video card and a stand alone TV tuner card. That way i can take advantage of Dual monitors at some point in time.

Why doesn't dell list the response time on thier LCD's? Does anyone know what the response time is on the 15" E151FPp? My Mom has it and I was just wondering how closely it compared to the 1800FP. One thing I know I will like for sure is sharp text. I think it looks decent on her monitor running at a non native res. and this isn't an ultrasharp monitor like the 1800FP. So I am sure the text on the 1800FP will be awesome when hooke dup via DVI. But i would really like to compare the response times on these monitors.

Not sure who said what here, so I'll just offer my personal experience. The Ti4200 is considerably faster than any 8500, so I'm thinking 1280 might be stressing an 8500 at 1280. I had a Ti4200 Turbo at 310/650 and it wasn't enough to run 1280x1024x32 w/out lowering details in newer games. Even then there were considerable slowdowns, and forced me to go out and get a 9700pro. I can run 1280x1024x32 w/ max details and high frames all the time now, but I still have to use discretion when deciding whether or not to use any AA or AF. At 1280x1024, max details will be much more important to you than AA and AF though, as you won't notice jaggies and less-sharp textures as much as you'll notice ugly textures.

Chiz

John

Oct 9, 1999

Kevin

K

Yes that's the most current monitor driver. I did not have cleartype enabled, but I went here to enable it, and chose BGR. However I too am noticing the the"rustic" color "il" fonts on some webpages and in "my computer". It looks like the best thing to do at this time is disable clear type.

Neo35

Dec 14, 2001

kevman

Diamond Member
Apr 20, 2001

Kevin

K

Yes that's the most current monitor driver. I did not have cleartype enabled, but I went here to enable it, and chose BGR. However I too am noticing the the"rustic" color "il" fonts on some webpages and in "my computer". It looks like the best thing to do at this time is disable clear type.

I picked a large font size for Icons and that did the trick. Of course there are other font sizes that can be tweaked as well. Hope full DVI will releive some of the other fuzziness in certain fonts.

Kevin

Neo35

Dec 14, 2001

I've had the same problem with a 17" Viewsonic analogue and a 18" Compaq DVI running 1280x1024 resolution. What I did was to change the Display's DPI under Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced (under the General Tab) from it's default Normal 96 DPI to Custom 108 DPI. Works wonderfully...

John

Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: Neo35

I've had the same problem with a 17" Viewsonic analogue and a 18" Compaq DVI running 1280x1024 resolution. What I did was to change the Display's DPI under Control Panel/Display/Settings/Advanced (under the General Tab) from it's default Normal 96 DPI to Custom 108 DPI. Works wonderfully...

I am running DVI and raising the dpi made it worse.

coolred

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
This part of your response sounds sort of defensive or something to that effect. I only responded because I had
an 8500 for over a year and I was astonished at the performance increase, especially in real world use --(actual games
vs 3d mark and other benches)
Buy what you want I am not here to defend anybody, I am here to enjoy myself. Besides its clear that you are a poser
because you had to ask if your 8500 could play at 1280x1024 ...ha ha ha , any normal person would have just ran the
card and found out for themselves.

Not really defensive, but I didn't want it to sound like i was Nvidia is junk, cause I know that is not the case. I just wanted your opinion, but didn't want it to seem like i was Bias toward either side.

As for being a poser, the reason i asked rather then ran the res to find out was because i am not at home right now. If you will notice in my post I ask about the response rate of the 15" dell FP, since my Mom owns one and i wanted to see how the 1800 compared to it. I happen to be at her house right now in front of her computer, so i have no way of testing my video card. Thanks for the info though.

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001

[/quote]

Yes that's the most current monitor driver. I did not have cleartype enabled, but I went here to enable it, and chose BGR. However I too am noticing the the"rustic" color "il" fonts on some webpages and in "my computer". It looks like the best thing to do at this time is disable clear type.[/quote]

This is not good news to me.
Is there any way you can take a high res pic of this font problem you are having?
I wonder if this has anything to do with our low priced monitors?

BentValve

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 2001
[/quote]

Not sure who said what here, so I'll just offer my personal experience. The Ti4200 is considerably faster than any 8500, so I'm thinking 1280 might be stressing an 8500 at 1280. I had a Ti4200 Turbo at 310/650 and it wasn't enough to run 1280x1024x32 w/out lowering details in newer games. Even then there were considerable slowdowns, and forced me to go out and get a 9700pro. I can run 1280x1024x32 w/ max details and high frames all the time now, but I still have to use discretion when deciding whether or not to use any AA or AF. At 1280x1024, max details will be much more important to you than AA and AF though, as you won't notice jaggies and less-sharp textures as much as you'll notice ugly textures.

Chiz[/quote]

What game are you talking about that your Ti4200 struggled with at 1280x1024? What sort of 3D Marks was your system pulling
with that Ti4200 installed?

I will admit that my Ti4200 does struggle a little in UT2K3 at 1280x1024 but that is the only game is has any issues with and I
figured that was due to the fact that my card is only 64mb.

Well my Ti4200 does not have DVI anyways so I guess its time to upgrade it, the Geforce FX is out, the 9800 looks nice but its not
loads faster than the 9700 Pro however it does seem to run alot cooler and OC good as well.
I can nab a new retail 9700 Pro for $285 shipped right now so I think that is the best value at the moment.
How well does your 9700 Pro OC?