DEAD:Back Again!! New LINKSYS E3000 59.99 @ Newegg

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

kalrith

Diamond Member
Aug 22, 2005
Can the USB port on it be used as a print server when configured as a bridge (if not natively, via DD-WRT or Tomato)?

The USB port can be used as either a print server or file server with DD-WRT or Tomato, but not with the native firmware.

ttek

Mar 8, 2010
Just saw it at 59.99 again and was going to post it but I was a little slow this morning..

On a side note, following the instructions at dd-wrt for the latest build I cannot get the dd-wrt.v24-16785_NEWD-2_K2.6_big-e2k-e3k.bin to load..
It states successful but it always comes back to the usb-nas build.. Don't really need the Big build but thougt it odd that I can't get it loaded..

Darkrage

Dec 15, 2008
Yes back again! Get in on this one guys....I have it, love it using dd-wrt 14929 build and loving it.

AnMig

Golden Member
Nov 7, 2000
got one, figured it was time to update my Wrt54g running tomato.

What Firmware are you guys running?

Tomato usb or DD-WRT?

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
I just ordered one. Is everybody running at the default 14929 std build of DDWRT?

donfm

Mar 9, 2003
On Newegg 31% of the people gave it 3 eggs or less...that's like one in three people.....that's a pretty high rate of unhappy people. What do you guys think??

Lead Butthead

Oct 5, 2009
I have a refurb running DDWRT since November 2010, no problem (and it was priced higher than the new unit now.)

Ryland

Platinum Member
Aug 9, 2001
On Newegg 31% of the people gave it 3 eggs or less...that's like one in three people.....that's a pretty high rate of unhappy people. What do you guys think??

I hear that the default firmware is pretty bad and you need to goto DDWRT or Tomato to get full use of this. That could be causing that spate of bad reviews.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004

tread lightly when reading those reviews. sometimes people can't RTFM, and aren't as "savvy" as they think they are.

edit: also, what Ryland said :)

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
tread lightly when reading those reviews. sometimes people can't RTFM, and aren't as "savvy" as they think they are.

Agreed. Wireless routers with advanced features are ubiquitous these days, but the average tech level of end users is significantly lower than it should be. Most users would be better off buying something on the cheap with basic functionality, but even feature-packed routers are relatively cheap these days (see this thread, Exhibit A), and everyone likes shiny objects with blinkenlights. As a result, this router, and many other Linksys/Cisco, Netgear, etc. routers with advanced features end up with tons of crappy reviews on major online retailers (especially Newegg and Amazon) left by lazy and/or incompetent users that are annoyed that they can't figure out how to properly use their new toy. In short, PEBKAC.

/rant

LumbergTech

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2005
I find that newegg tends to have fairly accurate ratings. I tend to avoid the things that have 4 stars overall, but have > 15-20% 3 star or less reviews. I have been fairly lucky with that mentality. A lot of the time it pays to quit being a cheap piece of crap and spend the extra 10-20$ to get something that is less prone to failure.

superHARD

Diamond Member
Jul 24, 2003
So, no one has used the media server portion? And no one knows if I flash to tomato or DD-wrt will I keep the media server portion of the router?