(Dead) At OfficeMax, Cendyne "40x12x48" (LiteOns upgrade to 48x) for "$5.00" AR & AC (limited areas or Phone order)

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

ididit

Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: LongCoolMother
i guess im just an unlucky person. i called AGAIN this morning, when the sale started. the first thing i asked/said was if i could order from an ad out of state. the CSR checked with the supervisor and said no, it is an area only offer. so, i gave in and didnt argue. i just asked to order from a deal (48x burner) from my own area. CSR told me i could do this, first bad thing that happen was she said the burner was out of stock in my area. so theyd have to backorder it for me and i might not get it in time for the rebate. well, i said okay, since i can always call and check up on it and cancel if necessary. i ordered cdrs also, which they had in stock. then, when i tried using my 25 off 100 coupon over the phone, she said it was not in the database. well, she checked with the supervisor and he told her i should have a postcard with that code i got in the mail and i could use it if i fax the postcard in. once again...i found the code at big wallet, and didnt have a postcard. i asked her if i could use an online code, and she said "maybe" as long as it is from a legit coupon site. she told me to email it to her email (the links). and she will call me back after she recieves my email. well, i found a couple on google.com and emailed her with the links...and since then, ive been waiting all day with no phone call. -_-

im glad you guys got the deal off, i guess im just unlucky. maybe ill try next week. im sure i can count on you mysticman for finding new deals every week so i dont have to worry :). heh...

i got mine in the midnight, after 12am on Aug. 25. Just told them what I wanna order, the item #s and the coupon code, then it's done. I guess midnight will be a good time since not so many people order it at that time. :):)

phiz9

Aug 31, 2001
I got the deal with the cendyne and valuediscs. The total somehow came out to 91.57 before the MIR's. The only snag I had was getting the 25 off 100 coupon, I had to haggle with the guy for quite a bit about how it was an online coupon or whatever. I don't know if I have to give it to the driver or not, hopefully not. Thanks for the deal.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Looks like my order has been shipped....though it may come in different packages.

Originally my CDRW and CDRs weren't suppose to be delievered until 9/3, but the CSR wrote a note saying I needed them by 8/27 (this Tuesday) and now they've shipped :)

Wouldn't hurt to call up OM and see when your order is going to arrive. Might be able to talk the CSR into putting a rush on them.

TheGorgeouz

Aug 24, 2002
I guess it really depends on which CSR you are dealing with.
I called the first time at midnight 08-23, went through all those account setup process and then was told that promotion price can only be applied within that state where the ad runs. talked to that CSR for 10+ minutes and he "assured" me that's how it works.
called again after 30 minutes, talked to another CSR, first she told me the CDRW was $129.99, and I told her I was looking at an ad with the price $99.99, she asked me where I got that ad and I just said "eh.. I don't know..... somewhere.." and she fixed the price to $99.99 then took $30 IR off the price (=$69.99)
I ordered $69.99 CDRW/ $30 Hi-VAL CDR/ $9 CyberAcoustic Speaker($9 MIR) -$25 coupon = $88.19

just called 10 minutes ago and made sure that they shipped everything on my order yesterday. should be getting them tomorrow (8/27).

but I do have one simple question, all the rebates for those 3 items require "original" receipt.. how do I do? just send them copy anyway?
:confused:

MysticMan1

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2000
TheGorgeouz....
but I do have one simple question, all the rebates for those 3 items require "original" receipt.. how do I do? just send them copy anyway?

I always use copies of the packing slip and have never had a problem getting the rebate.

MysticMan1

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2000
My Cendyne 40x12x48 drive (LTR-40125S) just arrived, the 200 Value Disc are still on backorder. Interestingly they give me a discounted of $16.02 off my order, which is part of the $25 off $100 coupon I used. If I don't get the200 Value Disc, which I don't need, I will be happy with just the $16.02 discounted and one less rebate to deal with.

gujraja

Aug 3, 2001
Order just came in today, it turned out to be the liteon version (LTR-40125S) which can be updated to (LTR-48125W) at this link :

ftp://62.67.47.73/Any ZSxx to VS02.rar
unrar with winrar 3.0 and run it to flash.. you should see the new version in my computer or even at bootup.

what a smoking deal..
All thanks to MysticMan1, i don't have to spend burning almost 20 mins per cd at 8x, now the only 8x i'm worried about is upgrading the burning from 40x to 48x...

Quick question, how were you able to find out the new zipcode ?
Incidentally, that's the same zipcode where the Value Disc Rebate goes to 78502 (coppell texas) while the cendyne original rebate zipcode is 78048 and that goes to McAllen Texas. So we can't just change the zipcode, we'd have to change the city too no?

Hmm, i await your response,
Gujraja

Abaddon66

Mar 13, 2001
Mine a verbatim as well, I did the two phone thing and both phones requre the origional receipt, at least I got two a yellow and pink copy, hehe sweet.

I checked with my local office max and they have the lite-ons there will try for an exchange.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Mine is version LTR-40125S as well.

Anyone know how to apply the firmware update? Do I just run the .exe program?

I'm going to read original post now.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: gujraja
Order just came in today, it turned out to be the liteon version (LTR-40125S) which can be updated to (LTR-48125W) at this link :

ftp://62.67.47.73/Any ZSxx to VS02.rar
unrar with winrar 3.0 and run it to flash.. you should see the new version in my computer or even at bootup.

what a smoking deal..
All thanks to MysticMan1, i don't have to spend burning almost 20 mins per cd at 8x, now the only 8x i'm worried about is upgrading the burning from 40x to 48x...

Ahhhh FS#(CK!!!!!!!!!

I just used this program to flash the CDRW from 40x to 48x. I just ran the .exe like normal and followed the instructions. The program looked like it acted like normal and I waited for maybe a minute when it said "CDRW is now being flashed" The program finished so I closed it.

I ran Nero and it couldn't find the CDRW. I uinstalled Nero and then reinstalled it and it still can't find the burner. When I open the Device Manager the burner is there and shows LTR-48125W, but Nero cannot see the burner.

Is my burner now toast? :(

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
Yzzim:
Check this site out. CDFreaks According to them you back up the files before flashing in case something goes wrong. I think that program is called MTKFlash, for backing up your binary files. I have the 40X Memorex but I haven't built up the nerve to try the flashing.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: esquared
Yzzim:
Check this site out. CDFreaks According to them you back up the files before flashing in case something goes wrong. I think that program is called MTKFlash, for backing up your binary files. I have the 40X Memorex but I haven't built up the nerve to try the flashing.

Thanks for the link, but that really wouldn't help out my situation if I screwed up the flash.

Anyway, I just downloaded the newest Nero (5.5.9.0) and it now recognizes my burner and everything works great :D I burned a 707MB cd in 2 min 56 secs.

Thanks for the great post MysticMan1!

Now I just have to get those rebates off tomorrow :Q!

Henny

Nov 22, 2001
I rec'd my burner and CD-R's yesterday.

OM lied to me. They claimed they have their own trucks and drivers but it was delivered by UPS. No need to show UPS the $25 coupon!!!

Watch out when you send in the Hi Val rebate. They want the original receipt and you better comply. These b*stards will do anything to avoid paying rebates. (It'll be obvious if send a xerox copy of the pink OM receipt).

SeiyaMan

Oct 6, 2001
sweet, just got my package: CenDyne and Hi-Val CDRs. No paper clips:Q, but who cares... Just looking at the back cover of CenDyne, it says model LTR40xxx, 48X here I come:D Finally upgrading from my Philips 8x from last year. Mad props to Mystic:)

MysticMan1

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2000
gujraja.....
Incidentally, that's the same zipcode where the Value Disc Rebate goes to 78502 (coppell texas) while the cendyne original rebate zipcode is 78048 and that goes to McAllen Texas. So we can't just change the zipcode, we'd have to change the city too no?
The zipcode for McAllen Texas and Coppell Texas are the same (78502), the Value Disc rebate and the CenDyne rebate are both handled by the same company (Parago/RebateHQ.com), the same company that handles most of rebates for Staples.

You can find zipcodes at USPS.com.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Henny

OM lied to me. They claimed they have their own trucks and drivers but it was delivered by UPS. No need to show UPS the $25 coupon!!!

OM didn't lie to you, they do in fact have their own drivers and trucks. You must have been out of their delivery range though so they just shipped it via UPS. What do you care though? You didn't have to pay for shipping and you didn't have to show the coupon.

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: MysticMan1
gujraja.....
The zipcode for McAllen Texas and Coppell Texas are the same (78502), the Value Disc rebate and the CenDyne rebate are both handled by the same company (Parago/RebateHQ.com), the same company that handles most of rebates for Staples.

You can find zipcodes at USPS.com.

Thanks for all the updates!! You've made this one of the easiest deals I've gotten!

ididit

Aug 16, 2002
Originally posted by: Henny

Watch out when you send in the Hi Val rebate. They want the original receipt and you better comply. These b*stards will do anything to avoid paying rebates. (It'll be obvious if send a xerox copy of the pink OM receipt).

really? too bad. I just sent them the copy. :( let's see what will happen......... need to be patient. ;)

Hokie

Aug 28, 2002
Yizzim,
Your problem with recognition may be because an OEM version of Nero is looking for Cendyne and can't find it. I'd try another burner program or look for an upgrade for Nero. This happened to me on a 32x Cendyne. I'd try these prior to anything that involves a flash, IMHO. Best of luck!

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: Hokie
Yizzim,
Your problem with recognition may be because an OEM version of Nero is looking for Cendyne and can't find it. I'd try another burner program or look for an upgrade for Nero. This happened to me on a 32x Cendyne. I'd try these prior to anything that involves a flash, IMHO. Best of luck!

Actually, I got it all figured out.

Guess the old version (old version = version that came with my Cendyne drive) of Nero didn't know what the heck a 48x CDRW was so it decided to not show it at all.
When I upgraded to the newer version it worked just fine.

Edit: Thanks for the help though! :)

MysticMan1

Platinum Member
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: Abaddon66
Mine a verbatim as well, I did the two phone thing and both phones requre the origional receipt, at least I got two a yellow and pink copy, hehe sweet.
I checked with my local office max and they have the lite-ons there will try for an exchange.
If you are going to flash your drive to 48x there's no need to exchange the Verbatim drive. When you flash to 48x first flash the Verbatim drive to a LiteOn then to 48x.

phiz9

Aug 31, 2001
Originally posted by: MysticMan1
Originally posted by: Abaddon66
If you are going to flash your drive to 48x there's no need to exchange the Verbatim drive. When you flash to 48x first flash the Verbatim drive to a LiteOn then to 48x.

Where can I download the verbatim to lite-on flash and lite-on flash upgrade?

clstrfbc

Aug 17, 2001
check out this place, Lite-On firmware help
a bunch of guys who are CDfreaks about changing thier hardware. :)

Stopped by my OM last night, they have the 40x for 99$ no rebate listed, which would be39$ after coupon and rebate, and the 48x for 69$ after 30$ rebate.
39 is not bad, but not super hot, I think I'll wait another week or two and cross my fingers.
I already have one Lite-on 40x, flashed to 48x. It was super easy, there is a page that was a windows flasher. No dos boot, took 2 minutes.

Good luck.

Aug 7, 2002
Whelp, I'm all alone in Kentucky :D

They took the PM, accepted the $20 off $50 coupon, and I'm sending in the $20 rebate....$21 with tax :D

Thanks guys!