Question DDR4 help for i5-12600k + z690 build

pvrbulls

Apr 28, 2005
Trying to figure a build with i5-12600 on an Asus Tuf Gaming Z690-plus Wifi D4. Problem is that I want a non-RGB 2x16 kit @ around 3600MHz and can't find many name brands listed on the Asus site to pick from. The one that I am looking at is a Kingston Fury Renegade (KF436C16RB1K2/32). But most of the reviews are from Spain and I was really wanting Crucial or G.Skill or.... Crucial shows one(BL2K16G36C16U4W) on their site for that motherboard, but it is not listed by Asus!

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
You will have a lot more options if you use the RAM manufacturer's "find my RAM" tool for your motherboard. Most RAM companies offer this feature. Crucial is getting out of selling performance memory, and most of the Ballistix modules are all sold out everywhere (they are only going to sell high CAS budget models with no heatsinks).

https://www.gskill.com/configurator

https://www.corsair.com/us/en/Categories/Products/Memory/c/Cor_Products_Memory?type=motherboard

https://www.kingston.com/unitedstates/us/memory

pvrbulls

Apr 28, 2005
Thanks for the links. I hadn't been to the Kingston site.
First, is there a way to turn off the led's on the RGB modules? That might expand my options.
Second, will the option(s) offered by the RAM manufacturers for a given motherboard work... even though the motherboard manufacturer does not include it(them) in their list of approved memory?

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
First, is there a way to turn off the led's on the RGB modules? That might expand my options.

No idea as I have never owned any RGB RAM modules. I'm not a RGB fan, so paying extra for that feature isn't something I personally do.

Second, will the option(s) offered by the RAM manufacturers for a given motherboard work... even though the motherboard manufacturer does not include it(them) in their list of approved memory?

Motherboard manufacturers usually only test a fraction of the available modules (usually from their internal testing before the motherboard launches to ensure users can find a stable kit).

However, RAM manufacturers are always adding, removing, or changing the modules they sell. If the memory manufacturers' website says their particular modules will work with specific motherboards, then I would trust that. I've always used their "RAM finder" utility when I bought RAM for my builds, and they have always worked perfectly.

If you really want to be super cautious, you can always Google the RAM module number and motherboard model you have, and odds are you will get plenty of hits on hardware tech forums or Reddit where users would discuss any issues when pairing those particular units together. However, this is largely unnecessary since the memory manufacturer (who knows all there is concerning particular modules) state that it will be compatible.

Reactions: Shmee

pvrbulls

Apr 28, 2005
I really appreciate your detailed reply. It has been over 6 years since I did my last build and I seem to have forgotten what little I knew back then!
Here's what I have found so far:
1. Crucial Ballistix (2x16) 3600 CL16, not listed by Asus, BL2K16G36C16U4W
2. Kingston Fury Renegade (2x16) 3600 CL16, listed by Asus, KF436C16RB1K2/32
Both are about $170 and apparently available to ship now. Any thoughts, positive or negative, on these two?
I couldn't find any listings at G.Skill or Corsair that we available right now and met my criteria.

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
I wouldn't worry about it too much, and UsandThem offers good information. I would suspect most 2x16GB 3600MHz kits would have no trouble running on ADL.