DDR2 memory - does it have to be installed in pairs?

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Almost 3 years ago I bought a Dell Dimension PC with 3.2 Ghz Pentium 4. It came with 1 Gb of DDR2 533mhz memory. I believe there are two half gig sticks in the computer but I purchased a single 1 Gb stick yesterday. Will that work or do I need two. Do they have to be installed in matching pairs like days of yore on older types of memory? I don't necessarily need it to be running in a duel channel mode.

Thanks

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
It will work, but you will lose the Dual Channel bandwidth advantage (~50%).

Yes, you still do need matching pairs for the Dual Channel operation.

pallejr

Apr 8, 2007
according to the chipset specs, if you pouplate each channel with equal amount, you'll get dual channel. So 1GB + 2x512MB should work

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Originally posted by: pallejr
according to the chipset specs, if you pouplate each channel with equal amount, you'll get dual channel. So 1GB + 2x512MB should work

Cool! So I can have 2 512's a 1G and it will dual channel?

I put in a 1 G and a 512 in my Norce 2 mother board and it is reporting dual channel enabled. Is that because 1 gig of it is operating in dual channel mode and the last 512 isn't?

When I was reading up on dual channel advantages several years ago, it seemed o only really make a difference if you had onboard video and then 3-5% increase in spead. Not huge.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007

Incorrect.

You need PAIRS of sticks, meaning the multiples of 2

ONE single stick wil NOT work in DUAL channel.

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
So whats the deal? Will it work at all? Or do I just lose the extra boost of dual channel mode.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: techwanabe
So whats the deal? Will it work at all? Or do I just lose the extra boost of dual channel mode.

It will work - you will just loose the extra boost of Dual Channel.

pallejr

Apr 8, 2007
check the specs, his board comes with the 925X chipset

I didn't say a single stick, but three sticks that gives 1 GB in each channel

pallejr

Apr 8, 2007
The newest chipset from intel is even more flexible. If the amount is not equal, they can run dual over some of the ram, and single over the rest.

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
The newest chipset from intel is even more flexible. If the amount is not equal, they can run dual over some of the ram, and single over the rest.

Sorry, but that's the weirdest thing I've heard.

Can you provide some links to the articles on the issue, please...?

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Interesting! Thanks, pallejr.

In this case, he can just move the 512MB module to sit close to another 512MB stick, and then put the 1GB module in the 3rd slot - without losing the Dual Channel!

I believe that it is available since 915 chipset, so the OP might be lucky!

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Well then, thats what I'll do. Re-arrange the memory so it gives me the advantage!

One more question: I know Dell makes a big deal out of buying Dell compliant memory but is that all hype? The stick I bought was same basic spec (DDR2 533mhz PC4200) memory as that which came with my Dell Dimension 8400 when it was shipped to me. However it may not be the same brand.

Original supplied Dell memory (brand unknown) 2x512mb DDR2 533mhz PC4200)

add on: Kingston 1x1gb DDR2 533mhz PC4200.

Any reason this might not work and I have to go find "Dell approved or Dell compliant?" Or is that all a bunch of hoo ha!????

JustaGeek

Platinum Member
Jan 27, 2007
Originally posted by: techwanabe
Well then, thats what I'll do. Re-arrange the memory so it gives me the advantage!

One more question: I know Dell makes a big deal out of buying Dell compliant memory but is that all hype? The stick I bought was same basic spec (DDR2 533mhz PC4200) memory as that which came with my Dell Dimension 8400 when it was shipped to me. However it may not be the same brand.

Original supplied Dell memory (brand unknown) 2x512mb DDR2 533mhz PC4200)

add on: Kingston 1x1gb DDR2 533mhz PC4200.

Any reason this might not work and I have to go find "Dell approved or Dell compliant?" Or is that all a bunch of hoo ha!????

Generally speaking, especially at these speeds...

You should be fine if the voltage, timings and frequency are the same.

techwanabe

Diamond Member
May 24, 2000
Memory is 1.8 volts.

Cool thing I guess is that if I want to jump to 3 gigs, no need at present, I could get another 1 gig same stick and rearrange.