DDR v/s SDRAM v/s RDRAM

snakeyeis

Aug 18, 2001
Hi,
I'm a bit confused about which RAM is the fastest out there. I have searched this site with no success for a head to head benchmark on the various types of memory. any one of u got links to a comparison between RDRAM, DDRAM and SDRAM ? More importantly DDRAM vs RDRAM?

Duvie

Elite Member
Feb 5, 2001
First thing is Rdram is only for intel cpus...

Secondly rdram has the higher bandwidth (which is ideally suited for the p4) and scores impressively on synthetic benchmark testing, but has so far IMO seemed to fall short of real world performance. There are some technical reasons why the ram which is running at higher mhz and has more bandwidth seems to not live up to the hype.

thirdly, if you are lookin at ram to be coupled with intel p4 the rdram and i850 platform is the best. You can get a sdram version mobo with p4, but many believe it severely hampers the p4 performance. You can also get a ddr ram mobo but I believe only from third party via manufacturing. I think it compares well, and maybe better if looking for bang for the buck. If you are looking at athlon xp system only look at ddr-ram.

snakeyeis

Aug 18, 2001
Well, it would be better if I could get a benchmark of P4 + RDRAM vs P4 + DDRAM. I live in India, and AMD's service sucks here!

sean2002

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001

<< Secondly rdram has the higher bandwidth >>

Actually, PC-2100 DDR SDRAM has higher bandwith than the fastest RDRAM. 2.1gb/sec for the DDR v.s 1.6GB/sec for the PC800 RDRAM. Now that said the Intel 840 & 850 chipset use a dual channel RDRAM setup giving it 3.2GB/sec bandwith, like the n-force with it's dual channel DDR SDRAM giving it 4.2GB/sec of bandwith. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

hans007

Lifer
Feb 1, 2000
the nforce does have a 128bit ram channel, but since the cpu has only a 64bit bus, most of it is wasted, so its really just for the built in gf2mx.

supposedly rdram being a serial architecture, will eventually be the type of memory that will win over, just not now, its too hard to make a parallel architecture like sdram with buses running at such high speeds now.