DBAN alternative?

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
What is a good alternative to DBAN that can (i) wipe only the free space on a partition and/or (ii) wipe only a certain partition.

I have an old lenovo laptop without recovery media. I want to wipe the HDD.
FVCKING lenovo (I FVCKING HATE THEM!) makes it impossible to burn recovery media from the recovery partition, so I need to figure out an alternative.

corkyg

Elite Member | Peripherals
Super Moderator
Mar 4, 2000
Why not get an external HDD and clone the existing drive to it? That would place your Recovery partition on the external.

coolVariable

Diamond Member
May 18, 2001
I used eraser.
Somebody should really update DBAN. It's such a great program ... but could use some additional features (e.g. wipe by partition, wipe only unused space, etc.)

Nothinman

Elite Member
Sep 14, 2001
I used eraser.
Somebody should really update DBAN. It's such a great program ... but could use some additional features (e.g. wipe by partition, wipe only unused space, etc.)

Wipe by partition should be fairly simple, you'd just need code to enumerate the partiton table and present the list. Wipe free space would be much more difficult since it would have to understand every filesystem it wanted to support.

Chiefcrowe

Diamond Member
Sep 15, 2008
I believe the newest beta version has some additional features such as being able to wipe an external drive, but i haven't tried it yet.