Dawn of war II article

AMDZen

Lifer
Apr 15, 2004
From a franchise that milked the shit out of WarHammer 40,000 - I doubt it will be anymore of a real sequal then the rest of the trash thats been coming out. I think they released like 4 so called "sequals" in less then 2 years and none of them did anything but add a race or a few levels.

Elcs

Diamond Member
Apr 27, 2002
Originally posted by: AMDZen
From a franchise that milked the shit out of WarHammer 40,000 - I doubt it will be anymore of a real sequal then the rest of the trash thats been coming out. I think they released like 4 so called "sequals" in less then 2 years and none of them did anything but add a race or a few levels.

From a franchise that has produced undoubtedly the best RTS in the past few years, I am extremely looking forward to this game.

Having just watched the little snippet of action, I am a little disappointed to see that so far it looks extremely simlar to DoW but with a touch of polish on the tarnished power armour. However, the IGN article provides me with much delight, introducing loot drops and what sounds like a real campaign a la DoW and WA.

This is quickly turning into my dream RTS game.

xSkyDrAx

Diamond Member
Sep 14, 2003
Adding a few races and some levels is actually a lot for an expansion especially if the new races play completely different from previous ones. The amount of balance this game has considering it has 9 different races, is nothing short of amazing. How many RTS's can you count that has even half the number of races that the DOW series has? Not to mention the amazing depth of backstory the game universe has, WH40k is probably my favorite RTS of all time. The article shows a very interesting change in the style of the campaign and I'm getting excited about it.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
Originally posted by: AMDZen

Or you could have just said that you dislike the franchise and be done with it. Name me another RTS franchise where in the end you get nine races to play with and which many of its game-play elements found their way on another great franchise from the same developers? I'm always happy to get more content in my expansion packs especially when there's no "EA" stamped anywhere, for a change.

Also define me a "real sequel". And by the way Winter Assault, Dark Crusade and Soulstorm were never labeled as sequels, they never tried to be that and they were never developed with being a sequel to the original DoW in mind. They are extra episodes set in the same universe that don't have to follow nor precede each others, think of Half-Life and Blue Shift and you'll understand it better. And because all those three expansions were just that, expansions, Relic and Iron Lore (for Soulstorm) were never obliged to add more races nor levels or any of the "trash" you're referring to. But then if they didn't add anything people would have still complained for not getting at least one extra race and one extra level.