Dawn of War Gold wont launch

Aug 11, 2008
I recently purchased DoW gold on the Steam sale. The game wont launch. I either get an error message saying it cant find the path for the graphics utility or it just goes back to desktop. My machine is low end but should run the game easily. I have an E4500, 9800GT,
Vista, and 3gb of ram. It is a desktop.

I tried verifying the local game files and it said it found one error and was downloading a replacement. However, after that was done, I still had the same problem. So I deleted the entire local game content and redownloaded the game. Same problem. So I reverified the files, it said it found an error and redownloaded the file. Now it says no error when I verify the files, but the game still wont launch.

Can anybody help with this problem? Doesnt seem like it should be a problem to launch such an old game. I guess I can contact Steam support, but I am hoping someone on these forums may have had a similar problem and knows how to fix it. My previous experiences with Steam support also have not be very helpful, but I wont get started on that.

I also bought DOW II and it runs fine.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
Go to the folder, find the utility GraphicsConfig.exe and run it. You MUST run this utility before the game runs for the first time.
After that you can change settings in game any time you like.

Aug 11, 2008
Go to the folder, find the utility GraphicsConfig.exe and run it. You MUST run this utility before the game runs for the first time.
After that you can change settings in game any time you like.

Thanks for the advice, but I already tried that. It gives the same error message as when I launch the game from Steam. Something about the path does not exist, even though the icon for the utility is there. I think it is not finding the path the data is supposed to go to.

I deleted local content again and am redownloading one more time, but I am expecting the same problem, since redownloading did not fix it before.

Aug 11, 2008
well, I redownloaded the game and it will run the graphics config utility. The game still wont launch however. it just goes back to desktop and nothing happens.

Aug 11, 2008
Hooray, I found the answer. Guess I should have tried this before, but I went to the Relic Forums.

You have to go into the DOW files in steamapps and create an empty folder named Data in both the GraphicsOptions and Engine folders. Dont know why this is necessary, but it appears to be somehow related to the version you download from Steam. Some people seen to have run the game successfully from disk, but had problems with the version from Steam. Anyway I made the folders like I said above and the game now works fine.
Hope this also helps any others who might be using the Steam version.

Just a thought: I would not expect them to bug test the entire game, but doesnt Steam at least make sure the games they are selling will at least launch?

maniacalpha1-1

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2010
Hooray, I found the answer. Guess I should have tried this before, but I went to the Relic Forums.

You have to go into the DOW files in steamapps and create an empty folder named Data in both the GraphicsOptions and Engine folders. Dont know why this is necessary, but it appears to be somehow related to the version you download from Steam. Some people seen to have run the game successfully from disk, but had problems with the version from Steam. Anyway I made the folders like I said above and the game now works fine.
Hope this also helps any others who might be using the Steam version.

Just a thought: I would not expect them to bug test the entire game, but doesnt Steam at least make sure the games they are selling will at least launch?

I got DoW Gold in the sale, guess I better bookmark this for 5 years from now when I play it!