Dave Ramsey article on Pocket

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
My local college charges rates right down to the county level.

2,661 dollars for 15 credit hours for county residents
5,127 for 15 credit hours and person is a in-state resident
7,017 for 15 credit hours and person is out-of-state resident.
Yeah, some states have that set up. I think New York allows free college if you've been a resident for so many years. It's far from universal though.

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
$6k+ a quarter tuition seems high for public. That's $18k+ a year in tuition. My daughter will start UGA in the fall and the annual tuition and fees for in state resident is around $6k a semester or $12k a year. Room and board will probably add another $12k or so, and I'm figuring about another $8k a year for other expenses and spending. So my estimate is about $34k a year for everything.

What is your son going to do with Business Administration degree?
Run a business I guess....:tongueout:

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
U of T is around 8k a year.
+ books + lab fees + fee fees +administration fees + anything else they can screw you for...it's quite a bit more than that. Especially toward the end.

Example invoice for 18 credit hours:

DescriptionDateAmount
Distance Learning Fee
1/24/2021​
$125.00
Student Green Fund
12/8/2020​
$5.00
Coll Business Uppr Div Fee
12/8/2020​
$312.00
Tuition Undergrad Cohort 2018
12/8/2020​
$4,267.80
Misc Student Service Fee 2018
12/8/2020​
$180.00
General Fee - UG Cohort 2018
12/8/2020​
$631.20
12/8/2020​
$631.20
Legal Services Fee
12/8/2020​
$20.00

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
+ books + lab fees + fee fees +administration fees + anything else they can screw you for...it's quite a bit more than that. Especially toward the end.

DescriptionDateAmount
Distance Learning Fee
1/24/2021​
$125.00
Student Green Fund
12/8/2020​
$5.00
12/8/2020​
$312.00
12/8/2020​
$4,267.80
12/8/2020​
$180.00
12/8/2020​
$631.20
12/8/2020​
$631.20
Legal Services Fee
12/8/2020​
$20.00

8k is tuition and fees.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
The "Liberal arts" thing is just a general statement to mean a useless over priced degree. So many people think they need to go to super high end prestigious universities and take some very specific specialized program that ends up costing 10's of thousands or even 100's then they wonder why they did not get a job. Those people would have been better off taking a more generalized course at a community college. It actually ends up opening more doors and you have less debt.

Of course for some trades you kind of have to go to a higher end college, like doctor, lawyer, engineer etc, but even then sometimes you can start lower, like start off as a nurse etc.

I think one big error people do is they think just because they have NN degree they can immediately find a job in that field and immediately rack in the big bucks.

Dec 10, 2005
Of course for some trades you kind of have to go to a higher end college, like doctor, lawyer, engineer etc, but even then sometimes you can start lower, like start off as a nurse etc.
Nurse != Doctor-lite. They have very distinct roles that don't necessarily overlap.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
Nurse != Doctor-lite. They have very distinct roles that don't necessarily overlap.

True but it gets your foot in the door to work at the hospital, and gain experience in the medical field. You will work with doctors and build experience. You'd still have to go back to school though to be a doctor so maybe it was not the best example. But a lot of jobs, you can get your foot at the door doing something lower and then move up. Like start at helpdesk and eventually be a server tech.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
The "Liberal arts" thing is just a general statement to mean a useless over priced degree. So many people think they need to go to super high end prestigious universities and take some very specific specialized program that ends up costing 10's of thousands or even 100's then they wonder why they did not get a job. Those people would have been better off taking a more generalized course at a community college. It actually ends up opening more doors and you have less debt.

I think one big error people do is they think just because they have NN degree they can immediately find a job in that field and immediately rack in the big bucks.
The only one of those you actually need a high end school for is lawyer, because there is too many of them. High end does very little for engineers or doctors unless you want to get into some extremely specific field or maybe company.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

DescriptionDateAmount
Distance Learning Fee
1/24/2021​
$125.00
Student Green Fund
12/8/2020​
$5.00
12/8/2020​
$312.00
12/8/2020​
$4,267.80
12/8/2020​
$180.00
12/8/2020​
$631.20
12/8/2020​
$631.20
Legal Services Fee
12/8/2020​
$20.00
So the way budgeting usually works..... They get tuition and all the university expenses get divided up....so a percentage of that money goes a million and one places.

Then you have departments that want to pad salaries or buy stuff and they can't get it from the general funds...so they apply to have fees added to courses. I know a lady that worked in a govt job that got a 50% tuition discount for her daughter at a state school. She said that the fees were basically 50% of what the tuition was...so she was basically just getting the BS fees waived.

I totally understand that universities have costs...it can't be cheap maintaining buildings and grounds and heating/cooling and paying all those professors... (they are doctors, afterall...) I mean, they went to school and paid the prices too just so they would make near or over $100k/year. I just think the whole thing is a joke. I've got 2 kids and have like 9 years to plan for them....I'm thinking I may want to bump up my savings for them. We've been saving money, but maybe we need to save more for them. I don't mind if they have to work a little to get through school. I had a full time job since I was 19 and was tuition independent from my parents by my Junior year. They actually felt guilty because they gave my sister so much money to flunk out of Georgia Tech. =P

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
So the way budgeting usually works..... They get tuition and all the university expenses get divided up....so a percentage of that money goes a million and one places.

Then you have departments that want to pad salaries or buy stuff and they can't get it from the general funds...so they apply to have fees added to courses. I know a lady that worked in a govt job that got a 50% tuition discount for her daughter at a state school. She said that the fees were basically 50% of what the tuition was...so she was basically just getting the BS fees waived.

I totally understand that universities have costs...it can't be cheap maintaining buildings and grounds and heating/cooling and paying all those professors... (they are doctors, afterall...) I mean, they went to school and paid the prices too just so they would make near or over $100k/year. I just think the whole thing is a joke. I've got 2 kids and have like 9 years to plan for them....I'm thinking I may want to bump up my savings for them. We've been saving money, but maybe we need to save more for them. I don't mind if they have to work a little to get through school. I had a full time job since I was 19 and was tuition independent from my parents by my Junior year. They actually felt guilty because they gave my sister so much money to flunk out of Georgia Tech. =P
I struggled in college- my parents said they would pay half of my tuition for the first two years, and then that dropped off, so I was working full time and trying to go to school full time.

It didn't end well.

I didn't want my kids to go through that, so I told them I'd pay for everything as long as they kept a B average or better. My daughter wasn't a good student and $8000 in she decided college wasn't for her. She ended up going to esthetician school on her own, got really good at skin and brow care, and opened her own business making bank :)

My son graduates next week, and he's maintained a 3.9 GPA for 3 years. He was able to take college courses in high school to cut a year off, so if you can do that- HIGHLY recommended. He lived at home, we didn't make him work so he could focus on school, and it seems to have paid off. We have $14K of loans left from him so we should have that taken care of in 1-2 years.

Reactions: highland145

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
I struggled in college- my parents said they would pay half of my tuition for the first two years, and then that dropped off, so I was working full time and trying to go to school full time.

It didn't end well.

I didn't want my kids to go through that, so I told them I'd pay for everything as long as they kept a B average or better. My daughter wasn't a good student and $8000 in she decided college wasn't for her. She ended up going to esthetician school on her own, got really good at skin and brow care, and opened her own business making bank :)

My son graduates next week, and he's maintained a 3.9 GPA for 3 years. He was able to take college courses in high school to cut a year off, so if you can do that- HIGHLY recommended. He lived at home, we didn't make him work so he could focus on school, and it seems to have paid off. We have $14K of loans left from him so we should have that taken care of in 1-2 years.
The kid had 7 core classes done when he graduated HS. "Lost" a year in nursing when he changed to chemistry but he's at our local uni, nationally accredited, and it's damn near free. :D

Fritzo

Lifer
Jan 3, 2001
The kid had 7 core classes done when he graduated HS. "Lost" a year in nursing when he changed to chemistry but he's at our local uni, nationally accredited, and it's damn near free. :D
Yeah, Ohio isn't that progressive :( I started out in Chemistry. Fantastic field. Chemical engineering is a booming market with the battery races going on right now.

Scarpozzi

Lifer
Jun 13, 2000

It didn't end well.

That's awesome. The good news for you is that it sounds like the kids are going to be financially independent soon. I had a coworker who's daughter got a teaching job after college and he was happy because he didn't have to worry about her anymore. It was more of, "she can make it/taking her first career steps" feeling...it wasn't about the money.

College expenses are tough for parents and students. Most people's debt expenses rise to their disposable income unless they a minimalists or make so little that they have no disposable income....it's tough to throw any surplus away for kids and far easier to max student loans.

highland145

Lifer
Oct 12, 2009
Yeah, Ohio isn't that progressive :( I started out in Chemistry. Fantastic field. Chemical engineering is a booming market with the battery races going on right now.
Private. 11th and 12th grade, lottery $ paid half and the state colleges must accept the courses. $2700 for those 7 classes. :D

The public schools only let seniors take college classes.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Chemical engineering always had the best looking girls too (within engineering at least).
I would have thought law school would have reeled in the ones with the looks....both men and women

Psychology, the humanities...etc.

STEM got many Asians(and not just the Far East)

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
And THIS...as we all know...is the proper way to pick a career major :tearsofjoy:

Chemicals make a lot too. But you can get whatever major you want, just hang near the ChemE college and get a sugar momma.

I would have thought law school would have reeled in the ones with the looks....both men and women

Psychology, the humanities...etc.

STEM got many Asians(and not just the Far East)
I did quantify my statement to be within engineers. ChemE also has the most women of all engineering majors, 25% women vs MechE/EE at 8%.