Dating When You're A Short Guy

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RaiderJ

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
I'd think it would be great to date a girl 5'8" or taller, but I'm 6'0" and my tallest g/f so far was 5'5".

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
Originally posted by: Geekbabe
Originally posted by: ActuaryTm
please, my dating history reads like the cast from a Disney film

Snow Geek and the seven dwarfs :D
And Dumbo?

My husband is a physically fit, really good looking man with nicely chisled facial features and astonishingly blue eyes.

And this brings us to the underlying theme: whether we're talking about short, bald, chisled face, or blue eyes, we're talking about physical features that are inherited and cannot be changed.

I like how people say "wow... people who won't date short guys are just shallow", yet the traits of their mate that they are most proud of are equally as shallow.

There's also the whole "it's what's inside that counts". Bullshit. What's inside is influenced by genetics just as much as what's on the outside. Intellegience, stupidity, bubbly, hostility, blah blah blah. EVERYTHING you like or dislike about others can be chalked up to DNA, or damn close to it. You're not all high and mighty just because you selected your mate due to their high IQ. That's no less superficial than choosing someone because they have a full head of blonde hair.

Now, I'm not saying I'm any different. I'm just saying that people should stop tapdancing around all this sh*t. There's a REASON you are attracted to someone who's taller, or someone who is thin, or whatever. It's nature at work, and there's little you can do about it besides just pretend it doesn't exist.

If you don't like fat chicks, then by all means, DON'T DATE FAT CHICKS. If you don't like bald guys, then DON'T DATE BALD GUYS.

BKLounger

Golden Member
Mar 29, 2006
Almost all women i have ever met were into tall guys, especially the really short ones, but for obvious reasons those relationships never work out.

P.S. I am 6"7 the shortest i ever dated was 4"10. It didn't work out because it was just to awkward. Imagine having to get on your knees just to kiss someone on the lips.

tfinch2

Lifer
Feb 3, 2004
It's not the fact that they are short, it's the other stuff that's usually included when you're short if you know what I mean.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: SlitheryDee
Originally posted by: Brutuskend
Originally posted by: dug777
Misses the farking obvious point that most women are shortarses :p

Should be relabled a guide for short guys who want to date tall chicks ;)

Even so, a LOT of short women STILL want to date TALL men.

yeah but any woman with an ounce of brains wants to date guys who are nice to her. A guy's height doesn't matter if he's an azz.

Seems like most women I've talked to agree with you in theory, but in practice it seems that they are all "taken" with the assholes. It's almost like it's beyond thier control...

I disagree, my memory is a bit rusty but I think I've probably dated more short men than tall ones.

How many were shorter than you?

bennylong

Platinum Member
Apr 20, 2006
Originally posted by: tfinch2
It's not the fact that they are short, it's the other stuff that's usually included when you're short if you know what I mean.

NO, what do you mean?

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
Originally posted by: tfinch2

But I'm actually "well equiped" despite my height.

b0mbrman

Lifer
Jun 1, 2001
Originally posted by: Koing
Originally posted by: bennylong
any tips for short unsuccessful men with a career that's going nowhere? those tips were all given by short successful men.

Your too negative and down on yourself.

Go find a hobby that you like that envolves being outside and meeting some girls.

SALSA CLASS. Go and do it. You meet girls, learn to dance and one of them may like you :thumbsup:

As for the article I'm glad I'm 5'10. Not tall but taller then the avg in the UK :p and UK girls are shorter also :p

Koing

Hmmm...that gives me an idea...

Stand by for a thread

Stuxnet

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2005
any tips for short unsuccessful men with a career that's going nowhere? those tips were all given by short successful men.

Yes: Just be confident.

When I was 18, I actually had girls tripping over each other to get to me. I admit it was rather nice, but genetics cornholed me pretty good, and by time I was 25, I had wicked thinning hair. I'm now 28 and have shaved my head. I'm married with kids and am certainly not the piece of meat I was 10 years ago, but there's one quality that still attracts women:

CONFIDENCE

I'm a naturally confident person. It really just stems from not giving a damn about what people think. My apathy actually comes off as confidence to others (albeit unintentionally), and women eat that up. I'm a bald guy with a wedding ring, and I still occassionally (and accidentally) reel one in. Your job and, for the most part, your looks, don't really mean sh*t to most women (at least not the ones you want to spend any amount of time with). If you're confident in yourself, they'll pick up on it and it will turn them on to you.

Just don't be arrogant. Confidence isn't about being a jackass wangster. Just stand up straight, hold your head up (line of vision parallel with the ground, as opposed to STARING at the ground), and look people in the eye when you talk to them. Don't be afraid to strike up a conversation with a total stranger. If they think you're weird for doing this, who gives a fsck. You're never going to see them again.

That's how I approach everyone. "This is me, this is who I am, and I could care less about what you think, because this is the first and last time we'll be seeing each other."

ActuaryTm

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2003
My husband is a physically fit, really good looking man with nicely chisled facial features and astonishingly blue eyes.
I do not believe anyone questioned his physical attractiveness (aside from his superaural prowess).

Personally, I think the ears work for his look.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BKLounger
Almost all women i have ever met were into tall guys, especially the really short ones, but for obvious reasons those relationships never work out.

P.S. I am 6"7 the shortest i ever dated was 4"10. It didn't work out because it was just to awkward. Imagine having to get on your knees just to kiss someone on the lips.

Well, thats pretty damn extreme. I'm 6"2', my girl is 5"2', works out fine.

Being tall is good, but like money, you could always use a little more. I seem to judge my own height by my eye level, so I don't feel overly tall. But maybe once or twice a year, I actually have to look up to talk to someone. Then I realize that this only happens once or twice a year...and I feel tall. :p

ActuaryTm

Diamond Member
Mar 30, 2003
Poor Red. It appears senility or dementia (or a lovely cocktail of the two) is beginning to set in, as you have me a bit confused with other members of Off Topic on two of the three adjectives above (not to mention ShortFatandStupid wasn't a Disney character).

Don't let the jovial expression there unduly influence your conclusion - I happen to be over 6'1, and have the build (and the muscular fortitude) of a lineman. I do not often remark on my physical stature as in most cases it serves no purpose; however, I am more than an able bodied physical specimen, and am often called upon (especially in an Italian family) to be "The Enforcer".

As for the last adjective, I certainly must be stupid, as I frankly expected more from you. It is disappointing, as I typical prefer verbal sparring and use of the more important and dominant "gray matter" muscle, but if (as you so eloquently state often) "the ass whipping of a lifetime" is the only verbage with which I have to construct meaningful dialogue, rest assured I am more than prepared.

GasX

Lifer
Feb 8, 2001
Originally posted by: buck
My GF said that she refused to date shorter people, said alot of her friends felt the same way. Ohh well, guess im glad im not short.

That's what I get all the time. Oh well, there will be one lucky girl in China that will get to marry me.

The only way she'll be lucky is if see is a toothless crone you are rescuing from a salt mine.