Dateline computer repair scam on NOW

drboogie

Banned
Jun 9, 2000
I already read the article in PC World this month. They did the research along with Dateline for the story. Pretty much what I expected. So many shops do rip off the 'technically lacking.' Thing is - if the technically lacking really knew how easy it is to build, repair, set up, and maintain computers, they would never pay us techs the labor prices that they do. :D

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Thanks for the reminder -- I just caught the end of it.

CompUSA and Circuit City appear to be doing a good job of analyzing and troubleshooting problems -- Not!

This whole segment is no different than replacing a good spark plug wire with one that is bad and driving to several auto repair shops. Several shops ripped off the person during the repair, while a few were honest.

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000
Yes, but who the heck would even notice a little slit in an IDE cable?

Although the crap that they say is wrong like bad motherboard AND hard drive is stupid. I wouldn't expect them to see something little like a cut (well... acctually I would :p ), but to then charge for $500 worth of stuff it outrageous.

kamiam

Banned
Dec 12, 1999
Braaaawwwwahahaha Crcuit schity sucks big time!!!! I KNOW I USED to work there for a very short time(3months) as a technician:Q
not only that but they treat thier employees like SH!T no wonder they suck

Stark

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2000
A cut ide cable is not a fair test... it only serves to make the techs look stupid. Give the techs 5 different problems with 3 or four different makes of computers and see how they do. The repairs were so expensive because they were proprietary compaq motherboards.

Not checking the ide cable is stupid, but judging repair service on that alone is slanted journalism.