mcsman

Mar 11, 2012
I use an LG Android phone. Is there a way to control how my data is sent/received? That is, while I have never been "throttled", I would like to avoid it by sending email, pics, and such at a lower speed where speed doesn't matter as much, and reserve my high speed for streaming.

mcsman

Mar 11, 2012
Found an answer for those curious.

It was pointed out that usage caps are on total usage, not speed used, that is, not 5gb of LTE then throttle but 5gb, period, then throttle.

lxskllr

No Lifer
Nov 30, 2004
I think you were the only one who didn't already know that.
That sure would be a cool way to do it though. Have a turbo button that uses your high speed data allotment, and take it off turbo for routine activities.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
That sure would be a cool way to do it though. Have a turbo button that uses your high speed data allotment, and take it off turbo for routine activities.
I don't deny that.

I think that if someone had root, this sort of thing would be possible in Tasker. But it doesn't seem worth the time to implement by OEMs or OS providers. Because, for example, if you demanded high speed for streaming and relegated messages to 3G, you can't do both at the same time. So if you are in the middle of a binge, then none of your low priority stuff happens at all, and vice versa.

mcsman

Mar 11, 2012
Sorry I wasted your time, sweenish. I hadn't thought it through and now realize it was a poor question.

sweenish

Diamond Member
May 21, 2013
Not a waste of time.

People have to start somewhere. The difference is how much googling you do before asking. In any case, it brought up an interesting talking point.