Data Recovery

Prime2515103

Oct 28, 2010
Hi,

So, I accidentally deleted some files and they are no longer recoverable from the NTFS drive installed in my desktop.

The files were copied to my Synology NAS, but they have since been deleted.

I would like to scan one of the drives from the NAS (it is set to RAID1) to see if I can undelete the files.

Do both drives need to be installed in the desktop to do the scan even though it is RAID1?

I downloaded a program that is supposed to support exFAT but it doesn't see drives that don't have a drive letter assigned, and Disk Management won't let me assign a letter.

Where do I start?

Thanks

P.S. Encryption isn't enabled on the NAS so that should be a good thing.

Last edited:

Elixer

Lifer
May 7, 2002
It would be easier to clone your desktop HD, and THEN perform recovery on that unit.
Trying to do it with RAID arrays isn't exactly a walk in the park.

Depending on when they were deleted, and how many writes you did to the drive since, that data might be long gone.

RecoveryForce

Feb 12, 2015
www.recoveryforce.com
If either the RAID unit or the desktop drive had much use following the deletions, the odds of recovery get lower with the amount of usage.

As already advised, get a clone, scan with a program like R-Studio and copy recovered files to a drive other than the source.

Prime2515103

Oct 28, 2010
So I ran R-Studio (thanks for the tip on that!). It recovered files I didn't even know were ever on there, and a lot of what I lost was recovered in triplicate! lol

I was afraid it was all going to be lost because a complete system backup (4 hard drives worth of crap) was done since the other files were deleted, but all is well. :)