Dat Phan is recycling his day old jokes! Which comedian does that?

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
My goodness, this guy is on leno and saying the exact same thing he said the night before. Does he think nobody would notice? That's insane!

hawkeye81x

Golden Member
Apr 24, 2001
You don't seem to realize the concept of a bit...
or perhaps a byte, but that is another matter.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
I think it takes them a while to get some material. Doesn't he get to do his own special on Comedy Central? He's probably saving his new jokes for that gig instead of wasting them on Leno.

jagr10

Golden Member
Jan 21, 2001
Ok, he was on the final episode of last comic standing yesterday and making the vietnamese beauty spa joke. That's national tv. Then he goes on Jay Leno and says the exact same joke!

On the last comic standing show, he makes the weird asian accent and then says "sorry, i speak english". He comes on Jay Leno and does the exact same thing.

He also already did the stand up act about his mom saying "i kill you". He does it again on leno!

It's one thing to repeat a stand up act at local comedy clubs, but to repeat them on national tv is not good.

Kenny

Platinum Member
Oct 12, 2002
I hate seeing the same bit over again too.

His accent was funny the first 20 times I heard it. Now it's just lame.

Ns1

No Lifer
Jun 17, 2001
alot of comics do this

you can't possibly expect them to come up with a new act everytime; although i admit dat phan sucks the phat one (and i'm vietnamese too)

examples: carlos mencia, pablo francisco

CoBRaXT

Golden Member
Mar 11, 2002
Originally posted by: t60
I hate seeing the same bit over again too.

His accent was funny the first 20 times I heard it. Now it's just lame.

for reals man. he was just on the craig kilborn show and used the same freakin jokes.
it kinda gets boring when you hear the same sh!t every single night.

RudeBoie

Platinum Member
Feb 28, 2000
Most comedians use the same routine. They develop a routine, usually 30-45 minutes long, and use it every night. Sure, there are slight variations, but mainly the same.

In these smaller segments, a comedian has to decide what he can do in 3-5 minutes and get the best result.

Sure, I'm sure most people would love to do diff bits each time, but when you have that limited amount of time, you need to deliver the best impression possible. If you've ever noticed, stand up comedy is rarely a bunch of unrelated jokes put together.

Like here's:
Joke 1
Joke 2
Joke 3
Joke 4
Joke 5

Each joke, independant from the other.

More likely, comedy is kind of a story, where a lot of diff jokes depend on other moments to really get maximum effect.

So comedians have to be able to choose which segment can be taken out and be independant from the rest but still be pretty effective.

Well, that's just my opinion anyway. I find that I (as someone listening) have to be warmed up to the comedian and then I kind of "get" what he's about and I'm ready to laugh with him.

Oh, and day old jokes. I highly doubt, this is the first time (or second) time he's used this material. Comedians hone their material before really unveiling it for the big audiences. I think Jay Leno still goes to Vegas each Sunday to try out a ton of jokes for the next week's worth of shows.

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001
i've seen two other attempting-to-go-big-time comedians do this....on national TV......forgot their names..it's nothing new..heh