Dasm... The death of the nef thread.

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Now Gentlemen... bear in mind that this is not, was not - and will not be intended to replace that gem of a thread, nor do I wish to be the author of a thread of such profundity.

I merely protest, that we have very little "fun" over here... we're not heavily monitored by the thread police, and we should be allowed to have ONE BLOODY nef thread, without being trounced by the Orwellian thought police.

It could be a heckuva lot worse, with multiple crapola meaningless drivel like lives every day in OT. It was one dasm thread, that we could have some fun with.

Sheesh.

Mods... how about chilling out a bit? The bandwidth of one nef thread in DC hardly compares to the crap in OT. I for one, think it should be unlocked.

edited some "speeling"

MDE

Lifer
Jul 17, 2003
Ok, now who wants to point a Mod in the direction of THIS thread to see Dan's request?

I'M NOT IT!

JC

Diamond Member
Feb 1, 2000
Originally posted by: DanC
Mods... how about chilling out a bit? The bandwidth of one nef thread in DC hardly compares to the crap in OT. I for one, think it should be unlocked.

Why not just start another one? Oh, wait...........

OhioDude

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2001
724 posts in three months hardly warrants classification as a runaway nef fest. I'll bet there have been nef parties in OT that have reached nearly that many posts in three hours. :roll: OK. Maybe three days...

There was a post yesterday morning asking that the thread be locked. Usually, if someone asks that a nef thread be closed, the mods will do so.

:(

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
Originally posted by: Pokey
Man o' man..............OD.......you know you are waving the red flag.......................;) or would that be a checkered flag.................:p

I only had four. I really was trying to ignore that thread...................honest.

I was the same way. I tried to ignore it, but had a lapse of judgement 5 times.

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Well, The thread was not a nef-fest, it did not take a lot of bandwidth, it did not - AFAICS - offend anybody, it was often about DC, it was fun, it was very social (which is BTW one of the main reasons having a forum), it was like "home" for many, and it was a thread where 94 members - quite a few lifers, platinum, gold, diamond, elite and so on posted. I think this is a record for a DC-thread. I agree that the thread should be opened.

I wonder however, if this discussion is OT for DC, if this thread should be in the "Forum Issues" - section...

Is anybody willing to PM to the mods and ask them to reopen that thread?
Is that a wise think to do?

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
Is anybody willing to PM to the mods and ask them to reopen that thread?

I'm plenty willing, but I suspect it will be a futile effort.

Whether it's "wise" to do, is open to interpretation. Much as many like to howl about "free speech" and all... the bottom line is that it's Anand's forums, and he (or his representatives) can do as they please.

So, while in my opinion - it was unnecessary and heavy-handed... it remains only my opinion. Engaging the mods in any sort of policy discussion is typically fruitless. Maybe somebody had a bad day or something. They're human - and are forum members just like we are, albeit "uber" forum members.

Insidious

Diamond Member
Oct 25, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Thanks for the stats OhioDude :beer::D

:beer: :thumbsup: :beer:

and congratulations to the MMs!

OOPS.............. wrong thread.... OMG I hope they don't close every one that has this in it :shocked:

-Sid

Shame on the line of thinking that could believe that thread was anything but a positive input to these forums............

Well anyway............ GOOD AFTERNOON TEAM MATES :D

DanC

Diamond Member
Jun 2, 2000
I must admit after having ventured over to (gag, choke, retch) OT - I was quite surprised to find This nef thread with nearly 6000 posts.

What's with that crap? Our little tiny 700 post thread gets nuked, while this grotesque waste of bandwidth lives?

I actually think that pretty-much bites.

Edit:

Let's let this one die, and approach the REAL issue, which is the need for a "slightly ot" general discussion thread.

Uppsala9496

Diamond Member
Nov 2, 2001
I must admit after having ventured over to (gag, choke, retch) OT - I was quite surprised to find This nef thread with nearly 6000 posts.

What's with that crap? Our little tiny 700 post thread gets nuked, while this grotesque waste of bandwidth lives?

Edit:

Let's let this one die, and approach the REAL issue, which is the need for a "slightly ot" general discussion thread.
I am guilty of posting once in that nef thread. Once again, I tried to ignore it, but gave in to temptation.

GeoffS

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Well... I for one didn't post in the OT thread and will resist posting in this one! :p

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Uppsala9496

Edit:

I am guilty of posting once in that nef thread. Once again, I tried to ignore it, but gave in to temptation.

I'm guilty myself of posting once or twice in the OT tread! ;)

petrusbroder

Elite Member
Nov 28, 2004
Noo, nobody does post everywhere ... - wrong forum - I'm going to the water cooler... ;)

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
We should just go post in that thread, especially since there are possible prises to be won!:evil:

Zim Hosein

Super Moderator | Elite Member
Super Moderator
Nov 27, 1999
Originally posted by: Ronin
With almost 40k posts... :eek:

Shame on you. :p I think you'd post anywhere. ;)

I do have some standards Ronin, but not much! :p

ICXRa

Diamond Member
Jan 8, 2001
Originally posted by: Zim Hosein
Originally posted by: Ronin
With almost 40k posts... :eek:

Shame on you. :p I think you'd post anywhere. ;)

I do have some standards Ronin, but not much! :p

hahah

Zim is a legend here at AT!