Dash cam captures Volvo truck avoiding collision with kids

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
A recently video revealed just how effective Volvo’s Automatic Emergency Braking technology is at preventing tragic motor vehicle accidents.
In the clip, several school children are recorded running out into the middle of a busy rural road after being dropped off by the bus. The kids neglect to look both ways, preventing them from seeing the fast approaching semi-trailer truck on the opposite side of the street.

Fortunately, the vehicle was a Volvo truck equipped with the manufacturer’s automatic emergency system that quickly applied the big rig’s brakes. Thanks to the company’s next-generation safety technology a life-threatening crisis is averted as the truck stops dead in its tracks before it can reach the children.

Dam That Was Close!!!!

Last edited by a moderator:

PricklyPete

Lifer
Sep 17, 2002
Yeah, pretty awesome. I wish Volvo had there drivetrain just a little more sorted out in the XC90. Love their focus on safety.

Jun 18, 2000
It was the driver that saved the kids lives, not automatic braking.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/16/volvo-semi-autonomous-driver-reaction-video/

"The investigation revealed that in this particular situation, which happened on 19 June 2017 in Herad in the south of Gol municipality in Norway, it was 100% human reaction," the company writes. "The report shows that distance between the truck and the child, who suddenly appeared on the road, was critically short. Moreover, the small-height child was running and appeared on the road unexpectedly. Thus, in that particular situation, it was impossible for the Volvo FH emergence braking system to recognize the child as an obstacle, and stop urgently. From the above stated, it could be concluded, that it was the truck driver, who managed to evaluate situation accordingly, his prompt reaction and immediate action that prevented the accident from happening."

Reactions: gorb
May 11, 2008
I know kids are kids when around each other, but the parents should really hammer it in that the policy is to first look and then crossover.
Especially on such a dangerous road.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That is some impressive brakes. And tires, for not just skidding. That's a lot of weight to stop in one go. I presume the trailer tires have brakes too so that probably helps. This would have been completely different if it was winter though. Doubt it could stop that fast. Damn kids get off my grille!

NAC4EV

Golden Member
Feb 26, 2015
Volvo's FH Automatic Braking System.
Great. Now lets add 50,000 pounds to that empty trailer.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
That is some impressive brakes. And tires, for not just skidding. That's a lot of weight to stop in one go. I presume the trailer tires have brakes too so that probably helps. This would have been completely different if it was winter though. Doubt it could stop that fast. Damn kids get off my grille!

Granted I haven't kept up with big rig braking systems but from what I do know about them I have to assume that trailer was empty or at least very nearly so. I can't imagine any sort of braking technology that would have stopped a fully loaded trailer that fast with the friction it has to work with. I could be very wrong and if so someone please tell me why, Newton's 1st law and all.

Carson Dyle

Diamond Member
Jul 2, 2012
Wow, indeed! I'm surprised a country like Sweden doesn't mandate that the opposite lane(s) stop when a school bus is offloading its students.

That was my first thought. Second one was that the truck had to be either empty or carrying a very light load.

KeithP

Diamond Member
Jun 15, 2000
Well that maybe the case, however their transports are equipped with automatic braking.

So.

After reading the article, it would appear that had the driver not been paying attention the automatic braking would not have worked and the kid(s) would have been hit.

-KeithP

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Just what kind of a country do you suppose Sweden is exactly? :)
A country that leads the world in traffic safety. That kind of country.

"Sweden’s roads have become the world’s safest, with only three of every 100,000 Swedes dying on the roads each year, compared with 5.5 per 100,000 across the European Union, 11.4 in America—and 40 in the Dominican Republic, which has the world's deadliest traffic."

Do you not even Volvo, bro? :D

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
Wow, indeed! I'm surprised a country like Sweden doesn't mandate that the opposite lane(s) stop when a school bus is offloading its students.
It happened in Norway. I grew up in Sweden, and the general respect shown pedestrians by drivers was surprisingly low. It was very common for drivers to not stop for pedestrians attempting to cross the street at crosswalks, and unheard of to stop for a bus loading/unloading passengers. However, I never saw a school bus, all the kids would use normal buses. Many of those were probably primarily used by school kids at certain times of the day, but it made no difference from what I remember. All of what I'm telling you is at least 20-25 years ago, it may very well be different today.

Oh, pretty much no one no one pulls over for emergency vehicles either, until they really have to. On the other hand, everyone passes on the left, which is great and something I wish would be enforced here. (Ethnocentric rant over.)

Alpha One Seven

Golden Member
Sep 11, 2017
A country that leads the world in traffic safety. That kind of country.

"Sweden’s roads have become the world’s safest, with only three of every 100,000 Swedes dying on the roads each year, compared with 5.5 per 100,000 across the European Union, 11.4 in America—and 40 in the Dominican Republic, which has the world's deadliest traffic."

Do you not even Volvo, bro? :D
Then it must not be necessary to stop traffic in the opposite lane to achieve a high safety record. :)

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
Then it must not be necessary to stop traffic in the opposite lane to achieve a high safety record. :)
Nope, just to help prevent a possible tragedy like the one which almost occurred, a central fact to this thread your response stupidly overlooks.

destrekor

Lifer
Nov 18, 2005
It happened in Norway. I grew up in Sweden, and the general respect shown pedestrians by drivers was surprisingly low. It was very common for drivers to not stop for pedestrians attempting to cross the street at crosswalks, and unheard of to stop for a bus loading/unloading passengers. However, I never saw a school bus, all the kids would use normal buses. Many of those were probably primarily used by school kids at certain times of the day, but it made no difference from what I remember. All of what I'm telling you is at least 20-25 years ago, it may very well be different today.

Oh, pretty much no one no one pulls over for emergency vehicles either, until they really have to. On the other hand, everyone passes on the left, which is great and something I wish would be enforced here. (Ethnocentric rant over.)

I would have never thought that we Americans, of all people, may just be more courteous on the road than Europeans. Unfortunately I have no idea myself, no personal experience in Europe. Maybe it's just beaten into us as a kid to generally do right on the road so that the cops don't come give you fines (okay some people may just naturally be saints, while some of us need a little negative stimulation as opposed to positive reward training). We pull over for emergency vehicles (when we're paying attention at least, there is that), and more often than not stop for school buses. And "think of the children" laws tend to have steep penalties.

I think here in the U.S. finding any place where a two-lane road doesn't require opposite traffic stop for a school bus may just be impossible. For regular buses there are no such rules here either, but school buses, which all have a red stop-sign that swings out on the driver side to signal traffic in both directions, have such enforced rules.

Is it not the case in Europe? Or is it more often that people just don't care but laws still exist? Basically, did the truck driver initially make an error by even blazing through like that?

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
Good brakes.

It was the driver that saved the kids lives, not automatic braking.

https://www.autoblog.com/2017/11/16/volvo-semi-autonomous-driver-reaction-video/

After seeing a bus stopped, no car should be speeding down beside it, let alone a truck with a longer braking distance. This is why it always baffles me how cars zoom by stopped right-lane traffic. You never know when someone will decide to jump out and make you have a very bad day. The only people who shouldn't be expecting anything while going gung-ho down their clear lane are inexperienced teenage drivers. There's no excuse for anyone else.