Darwin nominee lives.

techs

Lifer
Sep 26, 2000
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/power_thief_dc

Police in central England are hunting for a badly scorched would-be copper power cable thief after finding a hacksaw embedded in an 11,000 volt power cable Saturday night.

The thief, who also left a lit blow torch at the scene, is expected to be badly charred, spiky haired and not exactly the brightest bulb in the socket.

"The sheer stupidity of cutting through power cables should be glaringly obvious to everyone," said Phil Wilson, customer operations manager with local power company Central Networks.

"At the very least putting the hacksaw through the cable would have created an almighty bang and the line would have burned for quite a few seconds, showering them with molten copper... We can only assume they left in a great hurry or they were injured and were dragged away by an accomplice." But searches of local hospitals have so far not found the culprit, a spokeswoman for Derbyshire Police said Tuesday.

"Maybe they had a lucky escape," she said. "We don't have any leads yet."

No leads?
Pun intended?

FallenHero

Diamond Member
Jan 2, 2006
Nice. Very nice. Copper thieves, at least the ones I deal with, are usually heroin addicts. This guy was probably doped up out of his mind or so desperate he didn't care.

Jeff7

Lifer
Jan 4, 2001
Isn't there something more valuable than copper that these people could steal? Or is it just because they're morons who read "Copper prices spike!" and immediately think it's suddenly super-valuable? These are probably the kind of people who would see a headline, "Toilet paper prices spike!" and immediately start stealing toilet paper from public restrooms and private residences, despite the fact that it's still dirt-cheap.

Gibsons

Lifer
Aug 14, 2001
If it sterilized him or scarred him sufficiently such that he can't reproduce, then yes, he'd be a Darwin award candidate.

I suspect he's stupid enough to take himself out of the gene pool in some other fashion though, so there's hope.

hanoverphist

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2006
Originally posted by: homercles337
No leads. No suspects. Maybe he was just vaporized. :Q

there would be residue i bet. im thinking his buddies dragged him off, since they rarely work alone. im ok with this happening tho, my company has been hit more than once by the copper thieves. let em all burn.