DARPA sponsored race a miserable failiure

ArmenK

Golden Member
Oct 16, 2000
pretty sad

The farthest any of the contestants got was about 7 miles of the 150 mile course.

Edit: also check out this story (was under related links on the page linekd above)

Evadman

Administrator Emeritus<br>Elite Member
Feb 18, 2001
Go get the million, a driverless vehicle would have had to average 15 mph for 10 hours straight. Ya right, no way in hell. I could see that car that was converted to remote control do it (awesome video) but not an autonomous vehicle.

jjones

Lifer
Oct 9, 2001
My guess is that since the prize is only a million, the result is not too surprising. It would take several million, perhaps tens of millions to develop a robot vehicle that could traverse 150 miles of Mojave desert. Remember, this is completely robotic and without remote control; pure programmimg, sensors, GPS, etc. to go the distance.

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: Evadman
Go get the million, a driverless vehicle would have had to average 15 mph for 10 hours straight. Ya right, no way in hell. I could see that car that was converted to remote control do it (awesome video) but not an autonomous vehicle.

i think the course was supposed to be 250 miles, but was shortened because of the poor showing at the qualifying race (I believe only 2 or 5 teams "qualified").

Hector13

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2000
Originally posted by: jjones
My guess is that since the prize is only a million, the result is not too surprising. It would take several million, perhaps tens of millions to develop a robot vehicle that could traverse 150 miles of Mojave desert. Remember, this is completely robotic and without remote control; pure programmimg, sensors, GPS, etc. to go the distance.

The teams had a lot of corporate backing. I think the "red team" (from CMU, I think) spent several million on their humvee.

br0wn

Jun 22, 2000

Actually the CMU team covers 7 mile in 15 minutes (so thats about 28 mph).

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
This was to be expected. Wired's rundown of the contestants showed only perhaps one frontrunner with the software backing, and the hardware seemed pretty flakey to me. This is the one built on the old Humvee chassis painted red. The main problems are:

1) Current sensor technology SUCKS - very low refreshes
2) Pathing. Current pathing routines are acceptable, but no hi-res maps suitable for such a thing exist.

CanOWorms

Lifer
Jul 3, 2001
There are already vehicles that have traveled all the way across the country on interstates by themselves. So I'd think that eventually they'd get this done, too.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

That's the challenge. If it was easy there would have been no contest. The brightest minds at MIT among other places competed in this.

beer

Lifer
Jun 27, 2000
Originally posted by: CanOWorms
There are already vehicles that have traveled all the way across the country on interstates by themselves. So I'd think that eventually they'd get this done, too.

Link?? I call shens.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: RagingBITCH
Originally posted by: Dissipate
Wow, another great use of U.S. tax dollars.

These are all privately funded teams competing in the race, genius.

The $1 million prize is provied by DARPA a government agency, genius.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: tenchim
Isn't it? Putting money up to promote enterprise and ingenuity IS a great use!

;)

How about we let individuals decide what is a good use for their money? OMG, such a horrible, backwards idea!

Adul

Elite Member
Oct 9, 1999
danny.tangtam.com
Originally posted by: jjones

its called innovation. Someone will figure out a way to do it better. :)

SSP

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999

If the government tried to develop the vehicle them selves, it would cost them more then a million, genius.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999

That's the challenge. If it was easy there would have been no contest. The brightest minds at MIT among other places competed in this.
Exactly. 7 miles with this kind of technology on DARPA's obsticle course is doing great. This isn't flat land, this is terrain designed to screw you up.

RagingBITCH

Lifer
Sep 27, 2003

The $1 million prize is provided by DARPA a government agency, genius.

You should learn to spell before you call someone a genius. And they still have the $1 million dollars don't they? The future benefits of such a race and program are obviously worth much more than $1 million, but I guess you're too much of an idiot to see that.

Dissipate

Diamond Member
Jan 17, 2004
Originally posted by: SSP

If the government tried to develop the vehicle them selves, it would cost them more then a million, genius.

What makes you think the government needs to develop this, genius? All of this money is better off in private hands, the market can decide the optimum amount to put towards R&D projects.

crypticlogin

Diamond Member
Feb 6, 2001

How about we let individuals decide what is a good use for their money? OMG, such a horrible, backwards idea!
Do you have a non-tax funded way of polling on that decision?

br0wn

Jun 22, 2000

What makes you think the government needs to develop this, genius? All of this money is better off in private hands, the market can decide the optimum amount to put towards R&D projects.

I fully support this kind of project as it accelerates the development in the field. It has applications way beyond military use.
Internet was spun-off as a DARPA supported project, is that a waste of the tax dollars also?