Darksiders (the first one) for PC and high resolution makes aiming very difficult.

Ferzerp

Diamond Member
Oct 12, 1999
Since the second one comes out tomorrow, I loaded up darksiders again on my PC. I had played it on 360 and nearly beaten it, but picked it up for cheap on Steam ages ago and gotten stuck on Tiamat (using a 360 pad).

When I loaded it up again, it had gotten reset to the default resolution of 720p (I'd gone through a re-install). I tried the boss once, and apart from forgetting the controls to lock on to multiple targets, it seemed much easier. I raised the resolution to my normal 2560x1600 and the target reticle was suddenly tiny and targeting the correct locations became nearly impossible again. I flipped it back down to 720p, beat Tiamat, then moved on (raising the resolution back to 2560x1600 after the fight).

I'd totally shelved this game out of frustration with that fight, and it was all because the aiming difficulty went up massively with higher resolutions. The targets were scaled to the proper size and had not changed apparent size on my screen, but the box I had to put them in to highlight them was only 1/4 the area now.

Anyone else notice this? I know it was a bad port, but still....

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I actually had no idea that Darksiders was doing that, but I did notice how small the reticle was at 1080p. I thought it was normal, and it didn't really hamper me much. However, I guess it's a lot worse for you given it's probably even smaller. I assume the issue is that they're using an image that's sized for a console, which would explain why it's fine at 720p (the console probably renders at or below that). In other words, they need to use multiple images or use a larger image and scale it down.

I've got Darksiders II on pre-order, and I have two problems with the original and playing on a PC:

1. Mouse isn't disabled while using a controller. I found that this can introduce some really weird problems with aiming the reticle... especially if you accidentally knock your desk, which moves your mouse slightly. It also appears that the mouse does "go away", but it will come back if you pause the game.
  2. Right thumbstick click enables aiming. This usually ends up being a problem for me, because so few games (that I play) even use thumbstick click (L3, R3) that I tend to do it at times accidentally. I find myself regularly activating aiming while fighting enemies in Darksiders because of it. I remember going back to the game and having a hard to remembering how to aim. I kept going for "standard" buttons like right trigger.
The sequel still looks fun, and I pre-ordered from THQ, which means I get all three DLCs for free! I also got some free weapon from Vigil off Facebook last night, but I have to wait for the game to come in to add it.

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
I never knew it did that, I just finished last night replaying the game again for the sequel (played at 1080) and didn't have any issues other then a few crashes and for some reason a handful of achievements didn't register (thankfully I do not care about achievements).

I'm really looking forward to the second one, seems that they added a lot more RPG elements to the game while keeping all the stuff the first had still. Though I am looking forward to the story the most as I really liked the first one story.

Oct 16, 1999
Straga made me very, very angry because of the necessity for quick aiming. I also noticed I didn't have many of the achievements that should have unlocked from merely progressing through the story.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I've always found my interactions with Darksiders to be kind of odd. It's the type of game that I like to play, but I have a hell (heh) of a time getting into it. I wonder if it's because they gave you all the goodies at the beginning to then take them away, which tends to make gameplay awkward. It could also be that the beginning of the game has always felt rather weak to me, and just doesn't really have a lot of pull.

Unsurprisingly, none of that stopped me from pre-ordering the second one... collector's edition to boot! That Death mask looks pretty awesome, and it's funny to see people complain about it lacking nose holes. :p

EDUSAN

Golden Member
Apr 4, 2012
darksiders 2 is under a heavy HEAVY marketing push

darksiders 1 was great, but i dont feel it was such a success to have all this hype about the 2nd one... and the price DS2 has at release is a bit too much for what the game is... i think

i cant wait though, i for one, looooooveeeeeeeeeeed darksiders 1 when i played it

KaOTiK

Lifer
Feb 5, 2001
Too much for what the game is? The game is looking to be much more then what the first one was. Also $50 for the PC or if you preordered it from some sites they have/are doing promos to get it for $38 (getgamesgo has it for $38 right now with the preorder dungeon and 2 pc exclusive weapons).

Lets say you get the same amount of time out of the second as you did the first (though I believe they said the second is longer and has much more to do), the first one took most people between 15-20 hours to beat. That is pretty good length for a game nowadays if you aren't a pure RPG.

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
I don't know as much as I'd like about the Darksiders story (I still haven't beaten the game :p), but from what I've read, the story for Darksiders II takes place during Darksiders.

Darksiders II starts at nearly the same time as the start of the first Darksiders. After War is convicted and sent back to Earth by the Charred Council, they inform the other three Horseman of his fate. The Horseman Death, knowing that his brother War is the most honorable and incorruptible of the four, and would never have started the Apocalypse early, flies into a rage. Believing his brother is victim of a conspiracy, Death defies the Council's orders and sets out on a personal mission to find proof of his brother's innocence. Death travels to the Nether Realms, a place between Heaven and Hell, to call in favors from powerful beings that rule the realm.
So, essentially... like some parallel stories, you lose out on a bit of the intrigue. I guess it will depend a lot on how well written the story is!

EDIT:

Although, every time I think about Death, it reminds me of Zero Punctuation's review of Darksiders. In the beginning, he joked about why they had to use War instead of Pestilence, Famine or Death. If I remember right, he joked about how the latter would just be a bit too unfair. ;)

Bryf50

Golden Member
Nov 11, 2006
darksiders 2 is under a heavy HEAVY marketing push

darksiders 1 was great, but i dont feel it was such a success to have all this hype about the 2nd one... and the price DS2 has at release is a bit too much for what the game is... i think

i cant wait though, i for one, looooooveeeeeeeeeeed darksiders 1 when i played it
It pretty much has to be a hit for THQs sake. If it flops hard I don't think THQ will be around much longer. Which is sad because Relic is still awesome and needs to make homeworld 3 some day.

Last edited:

Aikouka

Lifer
Nov 27, 2001
It pretty much has to be a hit for THQs sake. If it flops hard I don't think THQ will be around much longer which is sad because Relic is still awesome.

Didn't they recently save themselves from being delisted on the NASDAQ?

EDIT:

Although, that only means that they got above $1 per share. :p I wonder how much they need to sell for Darksiders II to be considered a success? Wikipedia says the original only sold one million worldwide.

Last edited: