Dark Side of Toys R Us?

BeefJurky

Sep 5, 2001
i can't see anything besides an intro and a memo... all the other links just toss me to the intro :(

Codewiz

Diamond Member
Jan 23, 2002
Originally posted by: BeefJurky
i can't see anything besides an intro and a memo... all the other links just toss me to the intro :(

works for me fine with firebird.

I worked at Toys R Us for a short period. I quit because my managers won't give me more than 1 day off every 2 weeks. Yeah I never worked more than 40 hours a week but having to come in 13 out of 14 days sucked. I was told "The couldn't afford to let me have the days off because I was a hard worker". So I basically told them they lost their only "hard" worker.

None of the stuff on the page surprises me.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
First I am going to tell you about how we deceived you during Green Friday. For those who might not know it, Green Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. The busiest shopping day of the year.
Um, this person claims to have over 15 years of retail experience? Well, it's actually BLACK FRIDAY not not Green Friday ... unless, the retailers think of it as such.

Wuffsunie

Platinum Member
May 4, 2002
I came to this company with 15 years retail experience from Wal-Mart, Sam's Club, Office Max, Circuit City and Dillards. This company is without a doubt the most arrogant and deceitful place I have ever worked.
Wow. To have some place beat out Walmart for that distinction must put it like 2 steps away from being run by imported slaves.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
Another shocking fact about Toys-R-Us ads is that we actually advertised a lot of price increases in December of 2002. Trivial Pursuit went from $29.99 to $34.99, Yu-Gi-Oh cards went from $3.49 a pack to $3.99 a pack, the Yu-Gi-Oh tin went from $19.99 to $22.99, the Spiderman Web Blasters went from $13.99 to $15.99. In fact we ran one ad in December were every single price was an increase over our normal prices. Many of you saw these ads and you came into the stores in droves to pay for our super high priced advertised specials.

Its amazing how people dont know this.

waggy

No Lifer
Dec 14, 2000
I read the page.

in all honesty i didnt see anything really bad. We all knew that stores pull stuff of the shelves to not price match or for sales. The shopelifting is done out of law. if you say someone said they stole something and they didnt the store opens itself up to a lawsuit. The no toy guns is there right and there is nothing wrong with that.

If the prices is high and people dont price shop then that is there problem not the stores.

I think this is something a disgrunteled employee put up because he was fired and wanted to copy teh bestbuy sucks site.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
First I am going to tell you about how we deceived you during Green Friday. For those who might not know it, Green Friday is the day after Thanksgiving. The busiest shopping day of the year.
Um, this person claims to have over 15 years of retail experience? Well, it's actually BLACK FRIDAY not not Green Friday ... unless, the retailers think of it as such.
The name varies. "Black Friday" comes because it is assumed that on that day, the store will finally be in the black. "Green Friday" because it's such a big day for raking in the green.

Personally, I won't shop at Toys R Us because they insist on knowing your phone number, even for cash transactions. I actually got into quite the argument with the store manager at one store because they wouldn't sell me a $10 stuffed animal (that I was buying for my young niece), even though I was paying in cash, because I refused to give them my number. I literally had to walk out without buying.
The reason that Toys R Us (and many other stores, including all the grocery cards) want to know your number is because they sell it to telemarketing companies. If you are one of those people who freely give out your number and then wonder why you get some many telemarketing calls, try getting a brain.

edit: no, I haven't read that whole site yet, just throwing my $0.02 in
edit2: just read, looks like typical fscked company crap and a disgruntled employee to me -- no big deal

draggoon01

May 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Vic
Originally posted by: Tiles2Tech
The name varies. "Black Friday" comes because it is assumed that on that day, the store will finally be in the black. "Green Friday" because it's such a big day for raking in the green.

Personally, I won't shop at Toys R Us because they insist on knowing your phone number, even for cash transactions. I actually got into quite the argument with the store manager at one store because they wouldn't sell me a $10 stuffed animal (that I was buying for my young niece), even though I was paying in cash, because I refused to give them my number. I literally had to walk out without buying.
The reason that Toys R Us (and many other stores, including all the grocery cards) want to know your number is because they sell it to telemarketing companies. If you are one of those people who freely give out your number and then wonder why you get some many telemarketing calls, try getting a brain.

edit: no, I haven't read that whole site yet, just throwing my $0.02 in
edit2: just read, looks like typical fscked company crap and a disgruntled employee to me -- no big deal

why not just make up a number? i think fry's has like 10 different names/phone numbers for me...

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: draggoon01
why not just make up a number? i think fry's has like 10 different names/phone numbers for me...
1. Unless I give them 555-5555, I might be giving them someone else's number. My Safeway and Albertsons cards both use 555-5555 and John Doe as my name. In both cases, the clerk found that amusing and didn't care (which is understandable, they don't really want my name and #, they just want to track purchases using the card's unique ID # so that they can better regulate inventory, particularly perishables).
2. I shouldn't be required to provide identification of any type in order to pay cash (phone # is a verification type of ID). I never pay cash at Frys AND they never insist on knowing my #. I simply politely decline and they drop it. That is what I tried to do with Toys R Us, and they got EXTREMELY nasty about it. That I was at the cash register with cash money in hand, and they decided to block my purchase (and all my future purchases) simply over my phone # is something I can't forgive. It also tells me that 99.9% of people must just give it over, because I was definitely treated as some rare exception for refusing. All the more reason for me to outright refuse, as I find it a very objectionable practice from a brick and mortar merchant.

rh71

No Lifer
Aug 28, 2001
1. Unless I give them 555-5555, I might be giving them someone else's number. My Safeway and Albertsons cards both use 555-5555 and John Doe as my name. In both cases, the clerk found that amusing and didn't care (which is understandable, they don't really want my name and #, they just want to track purchases using the card's unique ID # so that they can better regulate inventory, particularly perishables).
2. I shouldn't be required to provide identification of any type in order to pay cash (phone # is a verification type of ID). I never pay cash at Frys AND they never insist on knowing my #. I simply politely decline and they drop it. That is what I tried to do with Toys R Us, and they got EXTREMELY nasty about it. That I was at the cash register with cash money in hand, and they decided to block my purchase (and all my future purchases) simply over my phone # is something I can't forgive. It also tells me that 99.9% of people must just give it over, because I was definitely treated as some rare exception for refusing. All the more reason for me to outright refuse, as I find it a very objectionable practice from a brick and mortar merchant.
Yeah, umm... I'd still give them something like 987-654-3210.

AvesPKS

Diamond Member
Apr 21, 2000
Originally posted by: rh71
Yeah, umm... I'd still give them something like 987-654-3210.

Whenever I go shopping here in Chicago, I still think it's funny to either give them my phone number or zip code back in Maryland...