Solved! Dark Rock Pro 4 with Ryzen 9 3900X.

Terabyte 11

Oct 26, 2019
I'm working on selecting parts for my Ryzen 9 3900X build. I'm thinking of using the be quiet Dark Rock Pro 4 as my cooler and I just want to make sure it's good for this build.

I'm not overclocking anything so I'm guessing air cooling is fine. I was wondering if anybody has used this cooler on other builds to tell me their thoughts on it's quality and any other info they might have. I'm somewhat concerned about it's sheer size interfering with my RAM, so if anyone knows what kind of clearance it has for the RAM that would be great to know. I'm probably going to be using the Gigabyte Aorus Elite as my motherboard and Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM. Also is it actually as quiet as it's name implies or is that just marketing?

Thanks everybody for the help.

Solution
The DRP4 has ample clearance (40mm) for normal ram like the LPX. I know... 32mm is the new low profile. I remember when 18mm was low profile... but inflationary times.

It performs as well as most any 240mm AIO while being much quieter. Here's the only DRP4 on 3900X review I've found: https://www.windowscentral.com/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-review

The Noctua D15 (now available in all black) has an easier to install mounting system and a 6 year warranty vs 3 years from Be!Q. Both are great coolers.

I've used both the D15 and DRP4, but not on a 3900x builds. That will change soon tho...

ClockHound

Golden Member
Nov 27, 2007
The DRP4 has ample clearance (40mm) for normal ram like the LPX. I know... 32mm is the new low profile. I remember when 18mm was low profile... but inflationary times.

It performs as well as most any 240mm AIO while being much quieter. Here's the only DRP4 on 3900X review I've found: https://www.windowscentral.com/be-quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-review

The Noctua D15 (now available in all black) has an easier to install mounting system and a 6 year warranty vs 3 years from Be!Q. Both are great coolers.

I've used both the D15 and DRP4, but not on a 3900x builds. That will change soon tho...

Reactions: Terabyte 11
Solution

UsandThem

Elite Member
May 4, 2000
I'm not overclocking anything so I'm guessing air cooling is fine. I was wondering if anybody has used this cooler on other builds to tell me their thoughts on it's quality and any other info they might have. I'm somewhat concerned about it's sheer size interfering with my RAM, so if anyone knows what kind of clearance it has for the RAM that would be great to know. I'm probably going to be using the Gigabyte Aorus Elite as my motherboard and Corsair Vengeance LPX RAM. Also is it actually as quiet as it's name implies or is that just marketing?
You might want to start with a few reviews if you want to compare its noise (and fit) compared to other products.

https://www.tweaktown.com/reviews/8842/quiet-dark-rock-pro-4-cpu-cooler-review/index.html

Many sites have done a full review on it, so plenty to choose from.

Reactions: Terabyte 11

charlietee

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
I have the bequiet Dark Rock TF top down cooler. Amazing build quality. I have the fans set a 100% and it is barely audible. The Silent Wing's 135m/m fans are dead quiet. Have to stick you head right on top of the cooler to hear it. The mounting for the TF is very easy compared some others I have installed.

The Noctua's are the King Of The Hill as far as air cooling. And now that they have come out with the cromax.black series and unless you are into RGB they look absolutely killer. Best of the best for sure. Top notch build quality, arguably the best fans in the business, support and customer service that is legendary.

Last edited:

snooptrader

Aug 3, 2020
I’m running DRP4 Dark Rock Pro 4 with a Ryzen 3950X. Temperatures seem stable at 50 celcius (ambient is 28 to 30 celcius) and heavy loads 65 celcius. Caveat is I’m running 2 Noctua AF 14 fans which are much louder. I got the Bequiet accessory as I was using a Purebase 500 case and I needed to ensure a fit, both in cooler and rams. D15 is a beast but I was worried of ram clearance as well as case clearance.

PrimalNaCl

Nov 4, 2020
I’m running DRP4 Dark Rock Pro 4 with a Ryzen 3950X. Temperatures seem stable at 50 celcius (ambient is 28 to 30 celcius) and heavy loads 65 celcius. Caveat is I’m running 2 Noctua AF 14 fans which are much louder. I got the Bequiet accessory as I was using a Purebase 500 case and I needed to ensure a fit, both in cooler and rams. D15 is a beast but I was worried of ram clearance as well as case clearance.

How did you get 2 140mm fans onto a device that only supports 120mm fans? Especially that center fan?

EDIT:
For clarity, I didn't mean that w/any malice. I legit tried to stuff the center fan (which is 135mm x 22mm) w/an AF14 which is 140mm x 25mm. There might be 5mm of forgiveness on the height/width axis but I can't see 3mm in the z happening. I bent some pins before backing off my attempt to 'persuade' it. The outer fan is a 120mm x 25mm, I don't believe there's enough forgiveness in finding that above the RAM. On the very edge w/case height as-is.

Last edited:

snooptrader

Aug 3, 2020
How did you get 2 140mm fans onto a device that only supports 120mm fans? Especially that center fan? EDIT: For clarity, I didn't mean that w/any malice. I legit tried to stuff the center fan (which is 135mm x 22mm) w/an AF14 which is 140mm x 25mm. There might be 5mm of forgiveness on the height/width axis but I can't see 3mm in the z happening. I bent some pins before backing off my attempt to 'persuade' it. The outer fan is a 120mm x 25mm, I don't believe there's enough forgiveness in finding that above the RAM. On the very edge w/case height as-is.

Hi, this wasn't taken negatively. I'm sorry I was not clear about my setup. The DRP4 is as it-is. The case fans are the AF14s which are blowing hard into the case and it does help bring in more air (at least in my meandering/speculative guess-timates) which did bring down temps. There is no way to mount an AF-14 on the DRP4 unless you put it on the outer fans with some Frankenstein method. :)

PrimalNaCl

Nov 4, 2020
Hi, this wasn't taken negatively. I'm sorry I was not clear about my setup. The DRP4 is as it-is. The case fans are the AF14s which are blowing hard into the case and it does help bring in more air (at least in my meandering/speculative guess-timates) which did bring down temps. There is no way to mount an AF-14 on the DRP4 unless you put it on the outer fans with some Frankenstein method. :)
AH! That makes much more sense. Thank you for the clarity!

I have a 3900x w/the wraith prism. The prism's fan is pretty much toast. It barely made it a year. The 'bearings' are shot to the extent that if I power the system off/on, the fan will not spin w/out help. Once going, it seems to be able to remain. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the temps are such that it never spins down due to being too cool. I figured I'd replace the prism w/a better cooler.

Have you had any issues w/the silent wings fans that come w/the DRP4? That middle fan seems like a right unicorn wrt replacement availability. I can't find a replacement anywhere. Hopefully be quiet! have obtainable replacement parts.

snooptrader

Aug 3, 2020
AH! That makes much more sense. Thank you for the clarity!

I have a 3900x w/the wraith prism. The prism's fan is pretty much toast. It barely made it a year. The 'bearings' are shot to the extent that if I power the system off/on, the fan will not spin w/out help. Once going, it seems to be able to remain. Fortunately, or unfortunately, the temps are such that it never spins down due to being too cool. I figured I'd replace the prism w/a better cooler.

Have you had any issues w/the silent wings fans that come w/the DRP4? That middle fan seems like a right unicorn wrt replacement availability. I can't find a replacement anywhere. Hopefully be quiet! have obtainable replacement parts.

Sorry for the late reply, had a big C scare recently and had a negative result thankfully. The DRP4 fans are running at 100% (both) and do not seem to be generating noise. The fans seem to be working fine.
I can understand your concern about the middle fan, but if it really does bust out. Remember that the single facing fan would be able to cool the tower sufficiently until you get a new cooler.

One more thing.. you are running a 3900X and it truly deserves a better cooler than stock as the 3900X is no pushover chip!

Overall, am happy with the DRP4's performance. The computer is on most of the time in "higher than most" ambient temperature as I'm around the equatorial line, so it seems to be working. :)

charlietee

Golden Member
Jul 27, 2001
Yeah I have been very busy also. One of the people who I do work for has the Houston Health Department all over her. Long list of repairs to her establishment has had me working 7 days a week for a month now with light just appearing at the end of the tunnel.

Hope you had a nice Thanksgiving.

Laters...Charlie