Dangers of using Kaspersky 2010 today?

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
I found an old Kaspersky Internet Security 2010 disc and key code in my desk drawer. I installed it on a little used HTPC in the house. Kaspersky says it's no longer supported, but it does update virus definitions.

What's the "dangers" of using this older version?

Mushkins

Golden Member
Feb 11, 2013
Definitions are only one piece of the puzzle. The software itself is what handles the heuristics engine, arguably one of the most important parts of antivirus software with active protection. That's what determines if something it scans or a behavior it sees is "off" and blocks it to protect you. Definitions are only good for a 1 to 1 match of known viruses or malware.

I would imagine what Kaspersky means by out of support is that they've long since stopped updating the heuristics part of the program as well as insuring software compatibility.

TBH, there's no harm in using it, but the free version of any modern AV is more than likely going to give you stronger protection than an old copy of Kaspersky.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
yes, you hit upon what I was wondering about. I don't know how much of the yearly changes is hype to get you to buy the newer version, and how much is real changes to the engine. I probably have 7 or 8 new Internet Security software of various recent years and various brands that I got free after rebate. Sometimes it's OK, since some of them allow the upgrade to the newest version. Kaspersky 2010 does not allow the upgrade to 2014

BonzaiDuck

Lifer
Jun 30, 2004
yes, you hit upon what I was wondering about. I don't know how much of the yearly changes is hype to get you to buy the newer version, and how much is real changes to the engine. I probably have 7 or 8 new Internet Security software of various recent years and various brands that I got free after rebate. Sometimes it's OK, since some of them allow the upgrade to the newest version. Kaspersky 2010 does not allow the upgrade to 2014

This all makes sense. That's why Kaspersky offers free upgrade to a new version during a purchased license period. If the license had expired on the old version, you would certainly be "SOL." If not, you should be able to download the latest KIS version, apply that license code to it, and be happy for a year. I cannot confirm this latter observation, except to say that I'd always been able to upgrade to a newer version for free to run out the remainder of an active license period on an older version.

I must've said it elsewhere, but KIS costs a bit more than some other AV/IS programs. So we constantly keep abreast of new OEM "envelope" licensed versions and KIS download offers from reputable resellers, rather than pay the full price through Kaspersky-USA for license renewal. They apparently know and accept such practices, because you can install a new license code on a soon-expiring license, and the new license period of the new license code picks up only after the old one has run out.

I don't want to be an uncritical proponent of Kaspersky, but it has served us well for the good part of a decade. I started another thread on peculiar behaviors noted mid-license-period for a software upgrade released a month ago. You might want to read my discoveries about that, and the post I'm going to make on that thread in a minute.

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
This all makes sense. That's why Kaspersky offers free upgrade to a new version during a purchased license period. If the license had expired on the old version, you would certainly be "SOL." If not, you should be able to download the latest KIS version, apply that license code to it, and be happy for a year. I cannot confirm this latter observation, except to say that I'd always been able to upgrade to a newer version for free to run out the remainder of an active license period on an older version.

I must've said it elsewhere, but KIS costs a bit more than some other AV/IS programs. So we constantly keep abreast of new OEM "envelope" licensed versions and KIS download offers from reputable resellers, rather than pay the full price through Kaspersky-USA for license renewal. They apparently know and accept such practices, because you can install a new license code on a soon-expiring license, and the new license period of the new license code picks up only after the old one has run out.

I don't want to be an uncritical proponent of Kaspersky, but it has served us well for the good part of a decade. I started another thread on peculiar behaviors noted mid-license-period for a software upgrade released a month ago. You might want to read my discoveries about that, and the post I'm going to make on that thread in a minute.

there are limitations on upgrading to a newer version. I know I tried. You can't upgrade a valid license key for 2010 ,or older , to 2014 . They speak some about that on the Kaspersky forum.

norseamd

Lifer
Dec 13, 2013

GeezerMan

Platinum Member
Jan 28, 2005
remember that the russians also have a lot of organized crime

putin and the fsb have many links to organized crime

remember the target hack

yes, pretty soon they will catch up with the U.S. in corruption...

SlickR12345

Jan 9, 2010
www.clubvalenciacf.com
Newer products will protect you better and are just generally better. One or sometimes even two years there is very few advancements in the engine, so you could be okay with running a 2 years old security suite as opposed to a new one, but on the other hand anything more than that is a bad idea.

Engines do get significantly upgraded every year or two, as to be faster, to scan and repair viruses better, to have better heuristic detection and other various stuff.

So I think getting Comodo Internet Security(free) or Avast 2014 Free is way better than running a 4 years old version of Kaspersky.

Personally I run Zonealarm Free Firewall and AdAware 11(using bitdefender 2013 engine) and its a great combination. Best anti-virus for 2013 and simple but solid firewall.

Alternatively you can use Comodo Firewall as it has HIPS and cloud scanner build in and offers more configuration and stuff.