Not open for further replies.

Zap

Elite Member
Oct 13, 1999
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820157021

$239.99
-50 coupon code EMCYZNT44 for Newegg Newsletter subscribers
FREE shipping

I've also heard that you can get 1% Bing cashback sometimes (try searching for "motherboards" without any adblocker).

This drive is a 1.8" version of the Intel 80GB MLC SSD (gen 1). It has the full performance of the 2.5" MLC drives, but of course will never get Trim because it isn't gen 2.

It is a "kit" consisting of a 2.5" adapter to essentially make it a normal notebook drive (but I heard spacing is off by a hair so it doesn't fit right in some notebooks like some Lenovos). It also has a copy of Acronis on a 64MB USB bootable flash drive, plus a 2.5" USB enclosure. Basically it is intended as an upgrade kit for notebooks. Just use Acronis to clone the notebook drive over, and then use the old notebook drive in the USB enclosure as an external HDD.

I bet the 1.8" drive will look mighty funny dangling behind the side window of someone's system. ^_^

BenJeremy

Oct 31, 2004
Just an FYI on SSDs... TRIM doesn't work when you RAID them. OCZ recommends Diskeeper 2010 with "Hyperfast" to handle the garbage collection on SSD drives. Not sure on the intel-based drives, but my own SSDs have internal garbage collection when idling (you have to pick the firmware, TRIM or GC).

Not sure if that coupon code works with a purchase of multiple drives... also bear in mind the write speeds are on the slow side compared to some of the competitors, but doing a striped array can alleviate some of that issue.

Oh, and RAID-0 striped arrays basically multiply your speed by however many drive you have in your array. I'm getting 7.6 WEI for my Primary drive with a dual OCZ Agility setup.

DukeN

Golden Member
Dec 12, 1999

Wow that looks great - I see that its on the OCZ forum but doesn't reference a G1 but people on the net seem to say that it will do an unofficial TRIM anyways.

Thanks, wasn't aware of that!

Also, IMO a degraded G1 will probably outperform an Indilinx/other SSD in random read/write operations and still be orders of magnitude faster than a spindle drive.

I think you would need to have an i7 with lots of RAM running something pretty intensive (like VMWare) to tell the difference between an untrimmed G1 and a trimmed G2 IMO.

EarthwormJim

Diamond Member
Oct 15, 2003
Wow that looks great - I see that its on the OCZ forum but doesn't reference a G1 but people on the net seem to say that it will do an unofficial TRIM anyways.

Thanks, wasn't aware of that!

Also, IMO a degraded G1 will probably outperform an Indilinx/other SSD in random read/write operations and still be orders of magnitude faster than a spindle drive.

I think you would need to have an i7 with lots of RAM running something pretty intensive (like VMWare) to tell the difference between an untrimmed G1 and a trimmed G2 IMO.

Simply copying a large file to the drive can reveal the difference.

Status
Not open for further replies.