Dana Perino, she is a blond

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

RightIsWrong

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2005
Originally posted by: ayabe
Originally posted by: RightIsWrong
Since we are 5 pages deep into this topic I thought that it was time for me to comment on it.

Why are we 5 pages deep again?

She's a fairly young, nubile, hawt woman who is in a PR role. Who cares if she doesn't know past policy decisions of long dead presidents. Nail her on things that she doesn't know about the current policy disasters all you want....but one from almost 50 years ago.....c'mon.

So if we were talking about Scott McClellan who is none of those things we would give him less of a pass?

Talk about sexual stereotypes, girls don't need to be smart as long as they are cute?

Yes, Scotty would be getting a pass on this from me also. This has nothing to do with her sex appeal but more to do with her position which is simply that of a PR/Marketing rep.

Of all the things to complain about WRT the Bush admin....this is the absolute lowest on the totem pole. In fact, it isn't even on the above ground portion of the totem.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Since we are 5 pages deep into this topic I thought that it was time for me to comment on it.

She's a fairly young, nubile, hawt woman who is in a PR role. Who cares if she doesn't know past policy decisions of long dead presidents. Nail her on things that she doesn't know about the current policy disasters all you want....but one from almost 50 years ago.....c'mon.

So if we were talking about Scott McClellan who is none of those things we would give him less of a pass?

Talk about sexual stereotypes, girls don't need to be smart as long as they are cute?

Yes, Scotty would be getting a pass on this from me also. This has nothing to do with her sex appeal but more to do with her position which is simply that of a PR/Marketing rep.

Of all the things to complain about WRT the Bush admin....this is the absolute lowest on the totem pole. In fact, it isn't even on the above ground portion of the totem.

I disagree with you. The White House Press Secretary is not a grunt, and entry-level role; they are required to discuss the political issues of the United States. You can't have them unclear on the difference between the House and Senate, which one of those initiaties impeachment, whether Iran is in the Middle East, knowing there are 50 states in the nation and some other territories, the time frame our nation was founded, the fact that slavery was repealed soon after the civil war, and what the Cuban Missile Crisis was.

Even using your phrase, about a marketing rep, if the rep is a spokesman for Chevrolet, shouldn't they know that Corvette is a car of that brand? Yes. I'd go so far as to say that they should have some industry knowledge, and if someone alludes to the old saying about how you can have a Ford Model T in any color as long as it's black, they shouldn't be ignorant of that history, and tell the person who asks the question they're wrong to hide their ignorance and play politics.

And I also don't view raising this issue as not worth it just because the Bush administration is guilty of far worse things. There's room to discuss both.

We're not talking about nit picking, this is the most remarkable case of a White House Press Secretary lack of knowledge I can recall seeing, it's pretty shocking.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000
Originally posted by: Corn
Originally posted by: jman19
Originally posted by: brandonb
Originally posted by: sierrita
I think she has more than a high school education, sparky.

And so...? Whatever courses she has taken in college, or whatever degree she has doesn't mean they covered anything about Cuban Missile Crisis. My degree program I took had no history in it what so ever... I don't blame colleges because who knows what they teach in whatever fields. But this is history that should be taught in high school, thats why I brought it up. She should have had that knowledge from her time in high school, but she didn't receive anything, and I was explaining my experience from high school on why that may be so.

So think outside the box, sparky! ;)

She was a political science major, sparky :laugh:

You don't think the Cuban Missile Crisis was covered in her studies at all? Wow...

I see that you are functionally illiterate. She did not major in political science. :evil: Irony abounds.

Somebody above said she was a Poly Sci major, and repeated that believing it. How does that make me illiterate? Answer: it doesn't, but that didn't keep you from making a snide remark. I see now (according to another poster) that she has a minor in Poly Sci though.

I'm curious, I don't have a major or a minor in history or political science - I didn't even take any history courses in college. Somehow, I know about the Cuban Missile Crisis... shocking, I know, but it is possible to know common things about history if you spend any time reading literature, watching informative movies and TV shows, and talking with people (like her parents, maybe?) who lived through the event(s) in question. She should be on Jaywalking with those other idiots who don't know the most common things about the world we live in. Of course, she was probably just joking around...

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
This whole thing reminds of the bit Jay Leno does where he asks people in the street things that you'd think anybody/everybody would know, but they didn't.

The difference is this is not your average joe in the street, this is a prominet member of our presidential administration, one who is supposed to be relaying the "big picture" from the oval office to the people. LOL, of course they don't want us seeing the big picture, only the picture they're trying to spin so actual knowledge of historic events would probably get in the way of her doing her "real" job. :laugh:

ayabe

Diamond Member
Aug 10, 2005

No it shows that they prefer to employ people with little to no intellectual curiosity or historical context in which to frame our current problems. I guess this is how someone becomes a Bushie in the first place; it's a lot easier to get buy-ins from people who are just flat out ignorant.

I don't think we're asking her or anyone else in her position to know all the details of "long dead presidents", but she didn't know the most basic facts. This was as close as we've ever come to full out nuclear war and it wasn't all that long ago.

How far can we lower the bar? If the next press secretary had never heard of Hitler would that be acceptable since it was sooo long ago?

1EZduzit

Lifer
Feb 4, 2002
As I recall, wasn't it the Cuban missile crisis that brought about the creation of the "hotline" from DC to Moscow?

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit
As I recall, wasn't it the Cuban missile crisis that brought about the creation of the "hotline" from DC to Moscow?

Dasvedanya!

Yes, the red phone! I always smile when I see one. Very 'Austin Powers'.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

And so...? Whatever courses she has taken in college, or whatever degree she has doesn't mean they covered anything about Cuban Missile Crisis. My degree program I took had no history in it what so ever... I don't blame colleges because who knows what they teach in whatever fields. But this is history that should be taught in high school, thats why I brought it up. She should have had that knowledge from her time in high school, but she didn't receive anything, and I was explaining my experience from high school on why that may be so.

You don't think the Cuban Missile Crisis was covered in her studies at all? Wow...

I see that you are functionally illiterate. She did not major in political science. :evil: Irony abounds.

Somebody above said she was a Poly Sci major, and repeated that believing it. How does that make me illiterate? Answer: it doesn't, but that didn't keep you from making a snide remark. I see now (according to another poster) that she has a minor in Poly Sci though.

I did not say you were illiterate. I said you were functionally illiterate. There is a difference. :laugh:

Hey, normally I don't expect perfection. But in a thread mocking someone for their supposed ignorance or stupidity, I'll play grammar police with glee. You'll have to excuse me for enjoying a little irony and picking on you when there is an abundance of examples I could have chosen instead......."Sparky" just hit my radar.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005

I did not say you were illiterate. I said you were functionally illiterate. There is a difference. :laugh:

Hey, normally I don't expect perfection. But in a thread mocking someone for their supposed ignorance or stupidity, I'll play grammar police with glee. You'll have to excuse me for enjoying a little irony and picking on you when there is an abundance of examples I could have chosen instead......."Sparky" just hit my radar.

If that was your goal I figure you could have just jumped on the OP for pluralizing crisis, or just spelling it wrong.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

How did I demonstrate not being "functionally literate" when I said I didn't read the other poster who corrected the fact that she isn't a poly sci major?

I'd hardly say my minor error would be of the same degree as a member of our government knowing basic facts about American history, but I know you can't help but run to the defense of your beloved administration and its cronies :)

Run along troll.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
Originally posted by: 1EZduzit

My earlier post mentioned that it was.

Corn

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 1999

How did I demonstrate not being "functionally literate" when I said I didn't read the other poster who corrected the fact that she isn't a poly sci major?

I'd hardly say my minor error would be of the same degree as a member of our government knowing basic facts about American history, but I know you can't help but run to the defense of your beloved administration and its cronies :)

Run along troll.

Gosh, thin skin for P&N.........and just for the sake of accuracy, you missed 2 posts in this thread where that error was corrected prior. I must apologize as you are right......I doubt you are functionally illiterate, instead you merely presented the facade of being learned about a topic of which you were instead ignorant. I'd say that is pretty much exactly the same degree of the error that Craig234 accuses of Ms. Perino. Go beef with him....I'm just holdin' you up to his standard....... :D

Originally posted by: Craig234
how she bullied a reporter pretending she knew what he was talking about.

jman19

Lifer
Nov 3, 2000

Run along troll.

Gosh, thin skin for P&N.........and just for the sake of accuracy, you missed 2 posts in this thread where that error was corrected prior. I must apologize as you are right......I doubt you are functionally illiterate, instead you merely presented the facade of being learned about a topic of which you were instead ignorant. I'd say that is pretty much exactly the same degree of the error that Craig234 accuses of Ms. Perino. Go beef with him....I'm just holdin' you up to his standard....... :D

Originally posted by: Craig234
how she bullied a reporter pretending she knew what he was talking about.

Hey I admitted I made an honest mistake. Reading and posting at work means I can't read every post in the thread. I made the assumption that the poster who said she had a major in poly sci was correct and didn't really think that this might not be correct - I didn't exactly have time to ponder this. If I actually cared that much about the subject I might have looked that up, but I was too busy being appalled at the idea that an adult in our government might not know about the CMC. That you think this is the same level of error as not reading every post in a thread in Anandtech is pretty telling though :p

Feb 6, 2007
This is just nitpicking, but please don't call it "poly sci." Poly means multiple or many. She's not a "many" sciences minor. She's a political sciences minor. Poli-sci.

Back on topic, the press secretary should know some basic historical facts because they tend to come out in politics ("Ahmandinejad is the new Hitler!" "Iraq is like Vietnam!" "We're heading towards another Great Depression!"). If you don't know who Hitler was, or what the Great Depression was, or why Vietnam is historically relevant, you can't address a question comparing those events or people to modern day. Reporters will ask those questions (which is proven because a reporter asked exactly that), and you need to be able to answer. If you can't answer convincingly, you aren't doing your job well.

And hey, if she didn't know about the Cuban missile crisis, couldn't she have just said? I mean, if someone had quoted Taft to her, she could have said "I'm sorry, but I'm not up to date on my Taft," and it would have been fine. But not here. She knew that she was supposed to know about the Cuban missile crisis, she knew that it was an important event, and she tried to cover her ass by not admitting that she had no idea what she was talking about. That, in my mind, is doing a remarkably shitty job as the mouthpiece of the president to the press, and sends the message that the executive office doesn't know history. Not a good message to send.

jonks

Lifer
Feb 7, 2005
And yet here we are 6 pages later still talking about the CMC and not GWB...seems she did her misdirecting job pretty good.

Perhaps she is actually a mad genius. If you saw the Chickenlover episode of South Park, this dude goes around screwing chickens, forcing the illiterate police officer to learn to read in order to solve the case. Maybe Perrino knew US citizen's knowledge of the CMC has been waning of late so she staged this whole thing to engender debate and a renaissance of CMC knowledge. Watch, next month the History channel will have a CMC special.

Besides, anyone with the initials DP is ok in my book.

0roo0roo

No Lifer
Sep 21, 2002

she's cute.

no one listens to press secretaries

who are we kidding?