Dana Perino, she is a blond

PottedMeat

Lifer
Apr 17, 2002
Originally posted by: eits
wow

She really doesn't have to know anything - just how to deflect questions / look like shes answering questions / make the administration look good.

Wreckem

Diamond Member
Sep 23, 2006
Originally posted by: rpanic
Another example of the kind of people Bush surrounds himself with, press secretary Dana Perino didn?t know what the Cuban Missile crises was. How could a person in her position not know anything about that, it almost caused WW3?

http://thelede.blogs.nytimes.c...-secretary-edition/?hp

Press Secretaries are just that, people who handle the press. They arent policy experts or historians. They write press releases and answer/spin current political questions.

Shes 35. And likely isnt a poli sci or history major. Her job is to spin, not spout off historical facts.

Now if it was a Chief of Staff or Deput Chief of Staff or a Policy Advisor Id be concerned, but Im not concerned over a press secretary. Only the lefty bloggers are making a big deal about this.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004
Originally posted by: Wreckem
Another example of the kind of people Bush surrounds himself with, press secretary Dana Perino didn?t know what the Cuban Missile crises was. How could a person in her position not know anything about that, it almost caused WW3?

Press Secretaries are just that, people who handle the press. They arent policy experts or historians. They write press releases and answer/spin current political questions.

Shes 35. And likely isnt a poli sci or history major. Her job is to spin, not spout off historical facts.

Now if it was a Chief of Staff or Deput Chief of Staff or a Policy Advisor Id be concerned, but Im not concerned over a press secretary. Only the lefty bloggers are making a big deal about this.

I believe that she was a poly sci major... though I don't really see why it matters.

I couldn't tell you a think about The Great Gatsby, despite being an English major and graduating at the top of my department, but it has nothing to do with my current job.

also: repost :)

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
As a self identified leftie, I can well understand that a 35 year old who was not even born when the Cuban missile crisis happened, may be unaware of what amounts to ancient history to her.

She is in a pressure cooker job as it is, and its more than a full time job trying to figure out how to spin GWB&co into a favorable light. It leaves precious little time for acquainting oneself with many of the dilemmas faced by long dead Presidents.

So I have to agree with Wreckem, an extensive history knowledge is just not in her required
resume.

And in fact, it was refreshing to see her honestly admit to a shortcoming she may or may not have corrected since.

WHAMPOM

Diamond Member
Feb 28, 2006
Perfect! She will look like a victim if the press "gangs" up on her and asks for "hard" facts. Head line; "Dana sobs after briefing!" "They asked Questions!".

maddogchen

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2004
Originally posted by: loki8481

I believe that she was a poly sci major... though I don't really see why it matters.

I couldn't tell you a think about The Great Gatsby, despite being an English major and graduating at the top of my department, but it has nothing to do with my current job.

she minored in Poli Sci and Spanish. She was a mass communications major which makes sense for a press secretary.

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005
I like a historically ignorant Dana better, I shudder with horror to think of the nausea she could cause me if she knew something about history and could sprinkle her spin with variously huge historical stretches of the imagination comparing GWB with courageous positions of previous Presidents.

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
How many people on here can name the month and year without looking it up on google?

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: ProfJohn
How many people on here can name the month and year without looking it up on google?

How many people here have no idea what it is? Now how many people are press secretary at the White House?

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005
Originally posted by: Saint Michael

How many people here have no idea what it is? Now how many people are press secretary at the White House?

And what does being press secretary have to do with knowing about the Cuban missle crisis? What kind of foreign policy decisions does the press secretary make?

Lemon law

Lifer
Nov 6, 2005

Wrong question.

How many can remember how the crisis played out? Where the evidence was laid out first. And the Gamble and the stakes on both sides. Considering the Russian ICBM program was still in its infancy and we had a Curtis Lemay designed SAC that could rain down nukes over the Soviet Union with impunity, John Kennedy was not making that big of a gamble at a time when the Soviet economy was finally recovering from WW2.

But it still cost Khrushchev his job and was responsible for driving a good part of the later cold war as both sides spent big buck to achieve multi overkill. As each gambler at the high stakes table probably lost more than they gained. In such a game, is there really a winner?

ProfJohn

Lifer
Jul 28, 2006
You lefty fools should go read the transcript.

The show is a comedy show, that is the whole point of it.
link to transcript
MS. PERINO: I had a situation the other day when they said President
Putin thought that our missile defense program was like the Cuban
Missile Crisis, and so I got asked about the Cuban Missile Crisis, and I
was - panicked a bit because I really know about nothing - (chuckles) -
about the Cuban Missile Crisis.

MR. BLOUNT: It was just last week.

MS. PERINO: It had to do with Cuba and missile, I'm pretty sure.

MR. SAGAL: Yeah, it had to do - it did in fact have to do with Cuba and
missiles, Dana.

MS. PERINO: Yeah, so I'll have to get back to you on that.

MR. SAGAL: Really? Like, "I have to go Google this..."

MR. ROCCA : It's a tropical drink. You should try it on spring break.

MS. PERINO: Well, I came home and I asked my husband -

MR. SAGAL: Yeah?

MS. PERINO: I said, wasn't that like the Bay of Pigs thing?

MR. SAGAL: (Gasps.)

MS. PERINO: And he said, "Oh, Dana."
BTW Hillary Clinton once said that Gandhi ran a gas station in St Louis, obviously this is proof that she is a clueless idiot and shouldn't be elected, right?

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
Originally posted by: JD50

And what does being press secretary have to do with knowing about the Cuban missle crisis? What kind of foreign policy decisions does the press secretary make?

She's the mouth of the White House, unless she has an ear-piece with a direct link from President Bush giving her every word she needs to say I would expect her to be a well-educated, well-spoken, well-informed member of our federal government.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

She's the mouth of the White House, unless she has an ear-piece with a direct link from President Bush giving her every word she needs to say I would expect her to be a well-educated, well-spoken, well-informed member of our federal government.

So what is your definition of "well informed"? Where do you draw the line, being "well informed" of the past 50 years, 100 years, 200 years? This is one of the dumbest criticisms of the Bush administration that I have seen, even Lemon Law realizes this is stupid. Grow up.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007
So what is your definition of "well informed"? Where do you draw the line, being "well informed" of the past 50 years, 100 years, 200 years? This is one of the dumbest criticisms of the Bush administration that I have seen, even Lemon Law realizes this is stupid. Grow up.

I'm quite secure in my maturity, thanks. I expect her to have a firm grasp of the history of our country, which is quite a young one. I have not criticized the administration in the least, with the exception of her. However, in accusing me of doing so you have definitely shown your stripes.

spittledip

Diamond Member
Apr 23, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481

Be content with the knowledge that Gatsby was a mediocre book from a mediocre writer.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

I'm quite secure in my maturity, thanks. I expect her to have a firm grasp of the history of our country, which is quite a young one. I have not criticized the administration in the least, with the exception of her. However, in accusing me of doing so you have definitely shown your stripes.

I was talking about this thread, read the OP......:roll:

Again, what does being a press secretary have to do with being an expert on history? What foreign policy decisions does she make? I'd really like to hear a good example of why the White House press secretary should be extensivley schooled in history. Her job has absolutely nothing to do with that, its a silly criticism.

Saint Michael

Golden Member
Aug 4, 2007

Again, what does being a press secretary have to do with being an expert on history? What foreign policy decisions does she make? I'd really like to hear a good example of why the White House press secretary should be extensivley schooled in history. Her job has absolutely nothing to do with that, its a silly criticism.

One would learn of the Cuban Missile Crisis in even the broadest survey course in American history, knowledge of it does not require her to be an "expert" or to be "extensively schooled in history". Her job doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it, her position does. These aren't just your everyday cubicle workers or AT forum-goers, these are the people charged with running our government. The utmost excellence is to be expected and demanded from them, including from a woman who is charged with acting as the administration's voice.

Edit: By the way, you do nothing to distinguish me from the OP in your response, which was directed to me. Your rolling-eyes emoticon just further illustrates your lack of respect, respect which I definitely feel I've given you. I don't think discussing this further is worth my time.

JD50

Lifer
Sep 4, 2005

One would learn of the Cuban Missile Crisis in even the broadest survey course in American history, knowledge of it does not require her to be an "expert" or to be "extensively schooled in history". Her job doesn't necessarily have anything to do with it, her position does. These aren't just your everyday cubicle workers or AT forum-goers, these are the people charged with running our government. The utmost excellence is to be expected and demanded from them, including from a woman who is charged with acting as the administration's voice.

Edit: By the way, you do nothing to distinguish me from the OP in your response, which was directed to me. Your rolling-eyes emoticon just further illustrates your lack of respect, respect which I definitely feel I've given you. I don't think discussing this further is worth my time.

That is my point, she is NOT charged with running our government, not even close. She is charged with acting as the administration's voice, two completely different things in my eyes. She probably took just the basic history classes in college and high school, most college graduates that I know probably don't know anything about the Cuban missle crisis. I still think that criticizing her, like you have done, or the Administration, like the OP has done, is incredibly childish.

As for your edit, if a rolling eyes emoticon insults you this much, maybe P&N isn't the place for you.

kylebisme

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2000
Knowing about the Cuban Missile Crisis hardly takes being an expert in history, it just requires paying attention to the world around you rather than living in willful ignorance of it.

On the other hand, the living in willful ignorance of the world is clearly an important prerequisite for the job of this administration's press secretary.

First

Lifer
Jun 3, 2002
She isn't supposed to know any of that as Press Secretary, though a solid understanding of U.S. history is necessary. Of course, it is pretty sad she doesn't know anything about it. What's sadder is that people here are acting surprised that officials within this administration are proving to be more uninformed all the time. It's old hat and well known at this point. We know this administration has been a disaster, nothing will change that in the next 13 months.