Damon Wayans Drops N-Bomb @ The Laugh Factory, Faces $320 fine

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
http://www.tmz.com/2006/12/06/wayans-drops-n-bomb-faces-fallout/
Damon Wayans became the first famous offender of the Laugh Factory's ban on the use of the n-word, and was fined and banned from the club for three months as a result, Wayans' publicist tells TMZ.

After the Michael Richards incident on November 17, the club decided to ban use of the word and fine comedians $20 for every offense. Wayans took the stage Sunday during a showcase of African-American comedians called "Chocolate Sundaes." Wayans opened his routine with the line, "Give yourselves a big round of applause for coming down and supporting 'N***** Night.'" According to the L.A. Times, Wayans used the word 15 more times during his 20-minute appearance.

That's a $320 contribution to the Laugh Factory's swear jar. Wayans' rep had no further comment other than to confirm the fine and the temporary ban.

Andy Dick drew fire earlier this week for using the n-word during an appearance at the Improv.
He owes me an apology! :D

EvilYoda

Lifer
Apr 1, 2001
LOL, $20 a word...nice. I guess that's proportional to a professional athlete's $10,000 fine.

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: BooGiMaN
ooh wow 320 bucks.....honestly whats 320 bucks to him

I don't think that the actual monetary value of the fine is important, but the fact that they actually FINE comics for saying the word makes me :roll:

What next, banning "p*$$y" and "cvnt" or "jap"?

Literati

Golden Member
Jan 13, 2005
Exactly, if there's one place where a no holds bared attitude should be sacred, it's in a comedy club.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Originally posted by: NFS4

I don't think that the actual monetary value of the fine is important, but the fact that they actually FINE comics for saying the word makes me :roll:

Are you serious?

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001

knowing how stupid people are im sure this will not stop at comedy clubs...it will be funny to see rap lyrics scrubbed and sanitized of the n-word

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: sygyzy

Are you serious?

All are equally offensive to a broad range of people. The N-word, saying "jap" or calling someone a "cvnt"

If you are going to ban one, why not ban all offensive words...PERIOD!

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

knowing how stupid people are im sure this will not stop at comedy clubs...it will be funny to see rap lyrics scrubbed and sanitized of the n-word

Now I ain't say she's a gold digga, but she ain't messin' wit no broke broke

Yzzim

Lifer
Feb 13, 2000
Originally posted by: mercanucaribe
This is equivalent to banning the word "redneck" and fining Jeff Foxworthy.

I'm going on a hunger strike until he apologizes to me :|

:roll:

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
"Carlos Mencia found dead today, at his home, preliminary reports from the morgue say he was pwnt so hard his head exploded."

iamaelephant

Diamond Member
Jul 25, 2004
Most black comedians are nothing without the N word :p (I'm kidding of course, but they tend to use it a lot and it does make their act funnier, in my opinion).

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Damon Wayans became the first famous offender of the Laugh Factory's ban on the use of the n-word, and was fined and banned from the club for three months as a result, Wayans' publicist tells TMZ.

After the Michael Richards incident on November 17, the club decided to ban use of the word and fine comedians $20 for every offense. Wayans took the stage Sunday during a showcase of African-American comedians called "Chocolate Sundaes." Wayans opened his routine with the line, "Give yourselves a big round of applause for coming down and supporting 'N***** Night.'" According to the L.A. Times, Wayans used the word 15 more times during his 20-minute appearance.

That's a $320 contribution to the Laugh Factory's swear jar. Wayans' rep had no further comment other than to confirm the fine and the temporary ban.

Andy Dick drew fire earlier this week for using the n-word during an appearance at the Improv.
i think i asked this before... aren't you Indian?

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: moshquerade

Why do you keep asking if I'm indian? I'm black. My mom is black. My dad is black. Both grandparents were black.

AFAIK, I have no indian in me.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001

Why do you keep asking if I'm indian? I'm black. My mom is black. My dad is black. Both grandparents were black.

would you like some? :laugh:

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999

Well, if it's that Indian chick from E.R., sure :D

tfcmasta97

Platinum Member
Feb 7, 2004

Well, if it's that Indian chick from E.R., sure :D

soooooo wait wait how would SHE get in YOU.

or maybe we dont want to know

NFS4

No Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: tfcmasta97

Rereads quotes...yeah, that didn't sound right.

**Slowly backs away**

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Originally posted by: tfcmasta97

Rereads quotes...yeah, that didn't sound right.

**Slowly backs away**
that's the position. :laugh:

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
N-word?
You mean ******?
EDIT:
Ah, yes. I forgot about Anandtech's recent changes to forum rules.

boredhokie

May 7, 2005
I think when it comes to race related stuff, white people are forced to be on the moral high ground, which is understandable after the tumultuous last hundred years or so. MLK, Rosa Parks, etc were also in this moral high ground, so it isn't race-exclusive.

halik

Lifer
Oct 10, 2000
Eh,
words are words. Call me beloved patriot and I'll laugh (the word is funny to me). Wayans made a joke that was funny, where as kkkramer just went off searching for something really offensive.

mercanucaribe

Banned
Oct 20, 2004
Originally posted by: halik
Eh,
words are words. Call me beloved patriot and I'll laugh (the word is funny to me). Wayans made a joke that was funny, where as kkkramer just went off searching for something really offensive.

beloved patriot is not the same the N word at all. A better comparison would be "white trash" or to a lesser extend "redneck". And of course rednecks like Larry the Cable Guy CAN use those words in jokes.