Damnit. I am a moron... Not teh h4x0r3d...

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
So I try to log in to my home machine with Remote Desktop Client as is part of my daily routine and lo and behold, my username and password no longer work. My administrator username and password don't work either (though that might be disabled for TS by default, I don't recall). Woohoo! Was time for a complete re-install anyway. As long as they don't format my drive I should be fine, there isn't really much else of any consequence on my system that I'm worried about being found.

I only hope I find some clue as to what the hell happened. I've never been hacked before, I don't open attachments and I keep my system up to date security patch-wise. Most likely was something much more simple like the fact that I used to log in to my linux system remotely with plain text using the same password. :) Lesson learned.

Now I have to fight temptation to leave early to get home and fix it before any more damage is done. I was gonna do some programming on my home system as well today. Argh.

Ok, ATOTs turn to pwn me now.

Descartes

Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
Seems unlikely that the only thing done was changing your password. You sure you didn't just forget it?

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: dabuddha
That's why you disable that crap.
Yes and no.

Disable it when you are home, but enable it if you are going to need to access it from work.

EyeMWing

Banned
Jun 13, 2003
You can force your way back into the administrator account. Let me know if you're up for it and have access to a CDRW drive.

JoLLyRoGer

Diamond Member
Aug 24, 2000
Or, go Here, download the files, create the disk, pop it in, reboot and follow the instructions, and take back your administrator account.

Soybomb

Diamond Member
Jun 30, 2000
he's right, if the box has been owned it may be trojaned and can't be trusted, a format is in order. So is a firewall blocking connections to TS except from your work ip addy.

ZaneNBK

Golden Member
Sep 14, 2000
Thanks guys but I know how to fix it once I get home, that's not a problem.

I just figured out that I wasn't hacked at all. I had forgotten that a friend of mine had changed our DNS settings and one of the CNAMEs I was using to reference my system had been re-pointed to his sytem. Changed to the proper host name and I'm back in. Woohoo! Much relief! :p I'm still changing my password though. :)

The only other time I ever thought I'd been hacked was after a night of playing drunken counter-strike and spilling some vodka tonic on my keyboard causing some keys to become non-functional and making it so that I couldn't log in in the morning. :) That was an easy one to figure out though.

Problem solved, but now I feel like a moron. :eek:

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Originally posted by: JoLLyRoGer
Or, go Here, download the files, create the disk, pop it in, reboot and follow the instructions, and take back your administrator account.

is the disk self-running? all i need to do is boot with the floppy? i have a few NT boxes that someone changed the passwords to,and then forgot :|, that i'd rather not wipe out, and if this works, all the better.

loup garou

Lifer
Feb 17, 2000
Originally posted by: ZaneNBK

I just figured out that I wasn't hacked at all. I had forgotten that a friend of mine had changed our DNS settings and one of the CNAMEs I was using to reference my system had been re-pointed to his sytem. Changed to the proper host name and I'm back in. Woohoo! Much relief! :p I'm still changing my password though. :)

The only other time I ever thought I'd been hacked was after a night of playing drunken counter-strike and spilling some vodka tonic on my keyboard causing some keys to become non-functional and making it so that I couldn't log in in the morning. :) That was an easy one to figure out though.

hahaha...:p

DurocShark

Lifer
Apr 18, 2001
Originally posted by: werk
Originally posted by: ZaneNBK

hahaha...:p

pwn3d by yourself!!! :p