Damn you Portland!!!

Electric Amish

Elite Member
Oct 11, 1999
Just found out my dad's stuck in Portland because of the weather. 18 measley inches of snow!

They won't let any of the truckers out.

NathanBWF

Golden Member
May 29, 2003
Yeah I been waiting for parts for our laser printer for days now because of the snow...what are the odds that they had to come from Portland...:confused:

CrackRabbit

Lifer
Mar 30, 2001
You would think being that far north that they could deal with snow and ice.....
*shrugs*

GTiBri

Dec 4, 2003
I'm in Portland now. This is the first real snow/ice we've had since 96. It doesn't happen around here that much anymore. And there isn't much you can do when you have 40 mph winds and 3 inches of ice on the roadway/runway.

But I made it to work. Unfortunately...

Wingznut

Elite Member
Dec 28, 1999
Yeah, it's not so much the snow... It's the inch of ice on top of the snow that sucks so bad. It was raining ice two nights ago!

If you aren't here, you probably cannot appreciate how messed up it is. I'm originally from Michigan, so I've seen more than my share of snow. And I'm as quick as anyone to make fun of how unprepared Portland is for snow. But I've never seen anything like this since the early 80's... And I don't think that ice storm was as bad.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Actually since 1998, but even that storm was no where near as bad as this one.

And it's not the snow, it's the ice on top of it. We got a foot of snow and then, instead of thawing like the weather service said it would, we've had ice and freezing rain on top of it for 2 days.

Thankfully, it's slowly beginning to clear out now. Temp is up to 30F. I even got my WRX back this morning :)

TheToOTaLL

Platinum Member
Oct 7, 2001
Thanks Portland! Now the Grizzlies have missed 2 games, and who knows if they've made it out of the mess on bus to Seattle for friday's game.

On top of that, my mother and sister-in-law, who live in Vancouver, were supposed to fly out today to spend 10 days with us and see the new baby. Now we don't know if she'll even get to make it out Saturday (since tomorrow's flight was cancelled - again). 10 day vacation is down to 8 - let's see how much more it decreases.

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
Originally posted by: CrackRabbit
You would think being that far north that they could deal with snow and ice.....
*shrugs*
The valleys west of the Cascade mountains in the Pacific NW (running roughly from Roseberg, OR up north to Vancouver, BC) have a unique and mild climate, with warm dry summers and mild wet winters. July and August in Portland is high temps of 80-90F and bright sunny everyday, and January and February has low temps of about 40F with light showers and overcast. All myths to the contrary, Portland sees only about 40 inches of rain every year (less than NYC), and usually only 1 day of light snow every 2 years.

SpazzyChicken

Feb 8, 2002
Yeah, I have to agree that it is pretty funny to see how unprepared people in this area are for this kind of weahter. But this has been a really bad storm. As people said before, it is not the snow, but the incredible amount of ice that has covered all the roads/highways around here. I live in Salem, but I am from Klamath Falls (Southern Oregon) where we get a lot of snow every year, so I am used to driving in it. I think it is funny on the news when they are telling everyone to stay inside instead of taking the "incredible terrible dangerous risk of driving to work."

The funniest things that I have seen so far were an armored truck stuck in the ditch and a late model nissan sentra with chains on ALL 4 TIRES when the roads were completely clear this morning. Looking forward to the potholes coming up after all this melts. :disgust:

[edit] Whoo-Hoo!! 100th post!![/edit]

Vic

Elite Member
Jun 12, 2001
LOL... I saw a newer FWD Dodge Stratus this morning with chains on the rear tires!
rolleye.gif
:D And no chains on the front! True story, right at the offramp from southbound 217 onto 99W in Tigard.

On SW 72nd Ave. down near Bonita I saw an Intrepid drive by with loose and half-broken chains scraping up the fenders. The noise was absolutely terrible, and you could see the damage he was doing. But he just kept on driving... nuts...

BigSmooth

Lifer
Aug 18, 2000
The god damned ice pisses me off. My car had literally a 2-inch thick ice shell on it this morning. It took me an hour and a half to get it scraped off and to dig out the ice around the tires to put chains on (I did NOT want to miss three straight days of work). Meanwhile I am slipping all over the place myself because I can't get any traction on the ice-covered snow on the ground. :| The weather forecasts have been massively inaccurate, this sh!t was supposed to be gone already. :|:|

Yo Ma Ma

Lifer
Jan 21, 2000
Originally posted by: Electric Amish
Just found out my dad's stuck in Portland because of the weather. 18 measley inches of snow!

They won't let any of the truckers out.

Ohh... think of the children separated from their mother truckers :(

Maetryx

Diamond Member
Jan 18, 2001
Two "inclimate" weather in Oregon stories from 1995

1) My mother heard reports of black ice on the roads, and so she was very reluctant to use her brakes on curves in the road. Not having any clue about the laws of physics, she decides that the best way to slow down for an icy curve is to drop the automatic transmission into 1st gear. Of course doing this at 30 or 40mph meant that the rear wheels completely locked up (because resistance from brake friction or from engine compression makes no difference where the rubber meets the ice) and when backwards into the ditch.

2) During this same "inclimate" weather, I saw a VW beetle with enormous tire chains on the rear going down the road sounding like a tank. Sparks were flying everywhere. This was on almost totally dry pavement. It was kind of foggy and there was a chance of black ice.