Damn you Frys and your motherboard combos!!!

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

pcsavvy

Jan 27, 2006
Yeah, I have noticed that the good deals are far and few between. I am currently trying to keep my eye on DDR3 prices cause I want to uprgade to 4 Gb but my budget is kind of tight right now.:rolleyes:

Rubycon

Madame President
Aug 10, 2005
Anyone have an AMPTRON motherboard box? That's going back at least ten years probably more like 13! when the Triton VX/HX boards were out. :eek:

Undersea

Nov 1, 2005
I never had any real problems with ECS except they wouldn't OC well. Always wished we has Fry's in Jersey. It's OK because Microcenter Rocks!

Any of you guys have a nforce 3 250 board laying around?

Meghan54

Lifer
Oct 18, 2009
I bought more than a few dozen of the Fry's ECS mb combo packages and had only one DOA board. The rest are still ticking along.....

Yeah, I have noticed that the good deals are far and few between. I am currently trying to keep my eye on DDR3 prices cause I want to uprgade to 4 Gb but my budget is kind of tight right now.:rolleyes:

Microcenter has a 4GB set (2GB x 2) of DDR3-1333 RAM for $39.99 + shipping.....MC branded but appears, at least from the heatsink, that they're just rebranding AData brand RAM. Not the sexiest stuff around, but at that price, what do you expect?

http://www.microcenter.com/single_pr...uct_id=0353218

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
I wouldn't be advertising the fact that you actually bought 3 ECS AND a PC Chips motherboard. I mean really?

Vincent

Platinum Member
Oct 9, 1999
I had an ECS K7S5A board that worked perfectly fine. I also had a PC Chips M811LU board that ran with no problems as well. I recently bought an ECS A785GM-M board which is working fine also. ECS would be out of business if it were as bad as people say.

Numenorean

Diamond Member
Oct 26, 2008
I had an ECS K7S5A board that worked perfectly fine. I also had a PC Chips M811LU board that ran with no problems as well. I recently bought an ECS A785GM-M board which is working fine also. ECS would be out of business if it were as bad as people say.

They are as bad as people say. I've seen a box built with them, about 100 systems. 95% had to have the motherboard replaced within a year. Not much reliability there.

I guess if you don't want high quality and don't expect much, they may "work" for a time but they certainly are not reliable and definitely not worth the money.

They are crap, plain and simple.

iluvdeal

Golden Member
Nov 22, 1999
I gambled on using an ECS in my main system, a PT890T-A, paired with a C2D E6600. It lasted me about 2.5 years before it crapped out. It's no fun when a mobo goes out. That's my first and last ECS board.

Luckily it just so happened that in the same month the board failed, Nov 2009, Fry's offered an awesome combo which I luckily scored: i5-750 + EVGA P55 LE for $189 after rebate. I'm praying that with MicroCenter offering combos now, Frys decides to bring back their own combos.

Last edited:

spacejamz

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I wouldn't be advertising the fact that you actually bought 3 ECS AND a PC Chips motherboard. I mean really?

Not sure what the problem is...it is fun hobby to me to put these systems together...Out of the 20 or so combos I have bought from Fry's, only one has died on me and it wasn't even an ECS board.

I guess I have just gotten lucky or something...I made sure I bought new boards (that did not have a return sticker on it)...

I am sure that if I had a few boards that went bad, I would have stopped buying them.

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
ECS Boards work just fine.

The majority of negative comments about them come from people who haven't even used them.

Weren't they the largest OEM Motherboard maker in the world at one time for companies like HP, Dell, Etc?

I've owned the K7S5A and two "black edition" boards and loved all of them. All of them still work.

Wouldn't hesitate at all on another Black Edition.

Last edited:

jacktesterson

Diamond Member
Sep 28, 2001
They are as bad as people say. I've seen a box built with them, about 100 systems. 95% had to have the motherboard replaced within a year. Not much reliability there.

I guess if you don't want high quality and don't expect much, they may "work" for a time but they certainly are not reliable and definitely not worth the money.

They are crap, plain and simple.

And your experience with them would be? Cause 95 out of 100? You sure? Man I like to be able to continue selling worthless product for reasonable amount of money...Or you basing this off comments other people said like this before you, kinda like a pyramid scheme?

Your comments just seem like pure BS.

Last edited:

stevech

Jul 18, 2010
On the Fry's embezzlement issue.. about the time that blew up, Airlink 101 products disappeared from the stores. One employee said the evil doing was not with Airlink 101, but with the distribution chain into Frys.

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
No wonder I don't see combo deals any more for almost a year.

But the embezzlement might be just one of the reasons.

Another reason probably is that Fry's CPU/motherboard combo deals are so cheap that a lot of people bought the deal Friday morning and then head to eBay to sell the combo right away to make some money.

OCGuy

Lifer
Jul 12, 2000
Who needs Fry's combo deals when you live near a Microcenter and get Intel chips for way below MSRP :)