Damn, why the hell did I do Comp Sci?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

miniMUNCH

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2000
Your only hope is to work for a start up and rake in a cool million in stock options.

It all about the the finance...unfortunately, I'm studying for a PhD in Chemical Engineering and will be lamenting my salary too, probably.

AU Tiger

Diamond Member
Dec 26, 1999
Not a Comp Sci major , but I believe that it can get better for you. I have a MIS degree and have been working for 9 years. I am currently making 10K more than I thought possible two years ago and that is not including my bonus and stock options. It is still realistic to expect high salaries in IT, it is just a matter of proving your importance to your company and finding the right company. Most companies view IT/systems as an expense and they try to minimize the cost rather than paying employees what they deserve.

mAdD INDIAN

Diamond Member
Oct 11, 1999
I'm a fellow Comp Eng student with the same thoughts as you...but for me..it boils down to this: a) I want to work with hardware, do something like VLSI or CPU archeticture because it interests me greatly b) I do not like business/finance and I wouldn't enjoy studying it.