Damn it Canon!!!

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
I thought I thad the best Digital camera I could afford when I bought my G3 now they just came out with the G5

WTF happened to the G4 DOH!!

Ausm

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001
4 sounds like dead/death in japanese, so you won't find much anything with the model name with a 4 in it from Japan, except maybe toyota 4runner, but they don't call it 4runner in japan.

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
The reason for no G4 was that Canon was worried that Apple may sue them for the name. Now that the Apple G5 is out, there isn't really anything they can do. :confused:

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
How can you possibly copyright a 2 character combination....? I can understand if it were the Canon Mac G4, but not the Canon G4.

You can't possibly block off a model number like that for the rest of eternity....

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: edro13
How can you possibly copyright a 2 character combination....? I can understand if it were the Canon Mac G4, but not the Canon G4.

You can't possibly block off a model number like that for the rest of eternity....
I never said that they would sue. I just imagine that they wanted to beat Apple to the model number. ;)

richardycc

Diamond Member
Apr 29, 2001

Bose did it.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
Originally posted by: lowtech
Originally posted by: iamwiz82
I bought my G3 2 weeks before they announced teh G5 :frown:
Should have returned & wait for the G5.

couldn't pass up $418 after MSN dollars. :D

And your're not in jail!?!?! You got that Camera for a steal deal!!

Ausm

edro

Lifer
Apr 5, 2002
This thread has been hijacked...

Originally posted by: richardycc
Bose did it.

With?

notfred

Lifer
Feb 12, 2001
Originally posted by: filmmaker
The reason for no G4 was that Canon was worried that Apple may sue them for the name. Now that the Apple G5 is out, there isn't really anything they can do. :confused:

Uh, that's a stupid reason. I mean, did Apple sue them over G3?

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: notfred

Apple is sue happy, they even threatened to sue the maker of Y'Z Dock which really sucks...

Ausm

Mr N8

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
G5 was announced months ago. I'm still trying to convince my wife that we need one. The Canon S110 is nice, but 2.1mp doesn't even compare to the beauty of a G5.

Ausm

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: MogulMonster
G5 was announced months ago. I'm still trying to convince my wife that we need one. The Canon S110 is nice, but 2.1mp doesn't even compare to the beauty of a G5.

Was Announced and In production are two different things;)

Ausm

GTaudiophile

Lifer
Oct 24, 2000
Heh, the G5 is old news. It's been causing quite the stir over at DPreview.com's Canon Forum for two reasons:

1) What happened to the G4?
2) Why didn't Canon make more improvements to the G3 other then simply add a 5.0mpx CCD?

Canon skipped the G4 because the marketing people decided that all future G-series cameras at least will be G+the Megapixel rating. And the G5 is nothing more than a black G3 with 1.0 more megapixel, but of course it costs like $200 more. The fact that Canon is simply resting on its success instead of innovating more is pissing a few people off. They simply expected more improvements.

*GTa <-- Satisfied with his G2 until he can upgrade to a DSLR!

kuk

Platinum Member
Jul 20, 2000
Originally posted by: ausm
Originally posted by: novon
according to the reviews the G5 is worse in most categories vs. the G3

Post those Links will ya!!

TIA

Ausm

The G5 suffers from higher noise than the G3, and notably higher than the competition, it also has a chromatic aberration problem which is more than I would expect to see on a modern digital camera.
DPReview

But I don't think that this qualifies as "most categories".

filmmaker

Golden Member
Oct 20, 2002
Originally posted by: notfred

I never said that it wasn't a stupid reason, but I remember reading about it months ago.

Sid59

Lifer
Sep 2, 2002
lol .. i have the A40 and had the liberty to play with the A70 all day. I'm glad i didn't shell out the money for it. Not that much of a difference.