Damn, I didn't realize Baltar had sex with Starbuck!

Shawn

Lifer
Apr 20, 2003
I just bought season 1 of BSG and am rewatching it. I sure missed a lot the first time around. But then again I didn't really get into the show until season 2.

Jun 27, 2005
I've maybe seen two episodes of this show... why is Starbuck a chick? :confused:

It's one thing to have different guys play the same role... Like James Bond... But how do you go from Dirk Bennedict to a chick?

Quasmo

Diamond Member
Jul 7, 2004
I was like, "Why would someone have sex with an overpriced coffee company, when you can get it at home for free?"

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: loki8481
Originally posted by: Whoozyerdaddy
I've maybe seen two episodes of this show... why is Starbuck a chick? :confused:

It's one thing to have different guys play the same role... Like James Bond... But how do you go from Dirk Bennedict to a chick?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e...e/e7/Starbuck1.jpg/200px-Starbuck1.jpg > Dirk Bennedict.

Maybe I'm just old... but did anyone here ever watch the original BSG? Starbuck is a dude. Like I said... it's one thing to have another guy play the role... but to change the role to something completly different is just too weird.

It'd be like having Jane T Kirk on Star Trek.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

Because they wanted a clean break in the series. If starbuck is a woman, you can't easily go "well, she's just not as good at the part, blah blah, blah" it's a fresh character.

Jun 27, 2005
Originally posted by: So

Because they wanted a clean break in the series. If starbuck is a woman, you can't easily go "well, she's just not as good at the part, blah blah, blah" it's a fresh character.

Yeah, but a lot of the other characters are the same. (gender) And if she had sex with Baltar... Well that changes everything. That's not a clean break at all. Actually, it's kind of creepy. They're taking an established story and rewriting it. They should have just started a new story altogether instead of trashing an old story and riding on its premise.

Like I said, that's Jane Kirk.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

Yeah, but a lot of the other characters are the same. (gender) And if she had sex with Baltar... Well that changes everything. That's not a clean break at all. Actually, it's kind of creepy. They're taking an established story and rewriting it. They should have just started a new story altogether instead of trashing an old story and riding on its premise.

You think it would have been less creepy if they had arbitrarily changed ALL the characters to the opposite gender?

Clearly, you're a die hard fan of the original and anything the new series could do will not be enough for you.

Jun 27, 2005

You think it would have been less creepy if they had arbitrarily changed ALL the characters to the opposite gender?

Clearly, you're a die hard fan of the original and anything the new series could do will not be enough for you.

Actually I'm saying the opposite... they should have kept all the characters basically the same. Update them for the new generation of viewers... but keep them the same.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001

Actually I'm saying the opposite... they should have kept all the characters basically the same. Update them for the new generation of viewers... but keep them the same.

Then it would just have been a rehash. If you wanted to see the old show again, it's out on DVD.

Jun 27, 2005

Then it would just have been a rehash. If you wanted to see the old show again, it's out on DVD.

K... I see I'm going to lose this... Starbuck was a cigar chompin', female lovin' dude. Now he's some chick that boinked the guy who gave up the entire human race. Ok.

So

Lifer
Jul 2, 2001
K... I see I'm going to lose this... Starbuck was a cigar chompin', female lovin' dude. Now he's some chick that boinked the guy who gave up the entire human race. Ok.

:beer:

I understand the sentiment though. I'm still griping: Han shot first! :p

DanTMWTMP

Lifer
Oct 7, 2001

i saw almost all the episodes of the original BSG. The original Baltar never made sense to me. His motive never made sense, and the qourum of 12 was just.. wierd. I felt like they were androids of the future in human shape or something when I saw it.

I liked the first BSG only due to its cool oldschool special effects and the viper helmets (egyptian..). But since it ended prematurely w/ that episode where they find earth's moon broadcast, I felt that a ton of potential for story development was lost.

When I heard of the new BSG miniseries, I was skeptical. (omg another sci-fi original rehash lowbudget crap...bah). holy shizzmokes I WAS WRONG. The new Cmmder/Admrl Adama is awesome. his demeaner and speaches send chills down my spine.

After I heard that they're going to make a season, I was thrilled. The miniseries had an awesome start.

After season 1 ended, I wanted more, but I was just a passive fan. After season 2.0, I was hooked. Season 2.5 was a bit of a letdown due to the whole planet thing, but season 3 thus far gave REASON for it.

Season 3 (especially the last episode) justified everything about this show. It's undeniably the best thing to air on TV. I don't think anything comes close to what issues this show presents. The characters are deep and well developed.

Probably the only other TV show that comes close or even in terms of entertainment, character depth, political issues, story plot, and special effects is Band of Brothers.

No other show in the history of TV can touch this show. It's that good. I am not the only one who represents this opinion.

Look through all of the BSG threads here. Look through all BSG discussions in the internet. The fact that the show is just damn good is nearly unanimous.

"Best show of 2005" -TIME

"... indisputably, hands-down and without question, the best show on television." -Newsweek.

"The Best Show on Television in 2005? Yes, according to Time Magazine, Rolling Stone and New York Newsday. Praised by The New York Times, The National Review, The New Yorker, The San Francisco Chronicle, The Chicago Tribune and many other publications"
- TV.com

You HAVE to give this show a try. You WILL NOT regret it.
After seeing that the Emmy's would not even recognize this show, I see that the Emmy's is just a bunch of crap.

flashbacck

Golden Member
Aug 3, 2001
Originally posted by: neutralizer
Yeah, that happened when Baltar got elected as vice-president to Roslin, wasn't it?

wait, this really DID happen? I totally don't remember this. :confused:

AAjax

Diamond Member
Feb 17, 2001
Originally posted by: loki8481

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/e...e/e7/Starbuck1.jpg/200px-Starbuck1.jpg > Dirk Bennedict.

Maybe I'm just old... but did anyone here ever watch the original BSG? Starbuck is a dude. Like I said... it's one thing to have another guy play the role... but to change the role to something completly different is just too weird.

It'd be like having Jane T Kirk on Star Trek.

Yeah, I was a big fan of bsg when I was a kid. The idea of Starbuck as a chick didnt sit well with me at first, but I gotta admit they have done a Excellent job with the new series.
I highly recomend taking a couple hours out one weekend and checking it out. Best sci-fi show on tv in a long time. And Ill say what would have gotten my ass kicked in 6th grade....Starbuck is HOT! :p

Slammy1

Platinum Member
Apr 8, 2003
Yeah, it'd be great if I had Sci-Fi to actually watch it, but I did catch season 1 and part of 2. I have a question, is Apollo gay?

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006
I watched alot of the original and the new BSG took some getting used to, esp the Starbuck thing. But, after awhile, you don't notice it becuase you are sooooo hooked into the story. Not to mention that the writers throw about 2-3 twists into the plot that you never really see comming (and they're not afraid to kill off characters)

Zolty

Diamond Member
Feb 7, 2005

Boomer was a guy in the original, the character is now played by a woman.