Damn friends. They're always getting married.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Are they assumed to be for a couple? The invitation says "Blah Blah blah...Request the pleasure of your company...blah blah blah" and the RSVP card says "WE LOOK FORWARD TO CELEBRATING WITH YOU"

So, do i need to get some girl to agree to spend a weekend with me while I agree to pay for her plane ticket and hotel room? I happen to be a cheap bastard and that doesn't sound very appealing. Would it be entirely awkward if i showed up alone? Would it be entirely awkward if I wasn't supposed to bring a "date" and I did?

I have never had to go to a wedding as an adult, so I don't know these things. I managed to avoid all my other friend's weddings by being in the wrong continent or a hospital room or dead so I need your help ATOT.

moshquerade

No Lifer
Nov 1, 2001
Go by yourself or with a guest. The choice is yours.

RSVP one or two will be attending as per your decision.

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: moshquerade
Go by yourself or with a guest. The choice is yours.

RSVP one or two will be attending as per your decision.
There isn't really a line for selecting one or two guests. This is only:
WE LOOK FORWARD TO CELEBRATING WITH YOU.

Please reply by September 6, 2007.

M_________________

__ACCEPTS WITH PLEASURE
__DECLINES WITH REGRET

What goes in on the 'M' line? Am I allowed to cross out the word regret if I decline? Maybe replace regret with pride, or intestinal fortitude?

Originally posted by: George P Burdell
LOL at thread title :)

I aim to please.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Invite that clingy but hot girl from wherever. She'll get all into the wedding thing, you'll take advantage, then run.

aphex

Moderator<br>All Things Apple
Jul 19, 2001
as someone who has paid for a wedding on their own, if your not currently seeing someone, don't go out to find someone just specifically for the purpose of bringing to a wedding. If your paying by the head, every person adds up.

Also, did the invitation say "& guest"?

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: aphex
as someone who has paid for a wedding on their own, if your not currently seeing someone, don't go out to find someone just specifically for the purpose of bringing to a wedding. If your paying by the head, every person adds up.

No, it didn't say that...does that mean they actually don't want me to bring anyone else?

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
Originally posted by: Savij

No, it didn't say that...does that mean they actually don't want me to bring anyone else?

Not necessarily. We sent out the same invitation to everyone, whether they had a spouse and kids we expected to come, or single people we expected to come single.

When planning, we basically counted our single friends as 1 and our friends in relationships we knew about as 2.

Basically, as aphex said, if you're single, go stag. If you've been seeing someone for a few months, bring her.

mooglemania85

Diamond Member
May 3, 2007

Unfortunately, it means that for whatever reason, they automatically assumed there is no SO in your life.

nageov3t

Lifer
Feb 18, 2004

that's a good possibility.

happened to me at a wedding I'm going to this weekend. the bride/groom said that seating was tight, but I'm still convinced they just didn't want to give me an opportunity to bring the groom's ex-girlfriend as my date ;)

Savij

Diamond Member
Nov 12, 2001
Originally posted by: weadjust
Watch Wedding Crashers. That will answer all your questions.

So I should have sex with the underage sister? Already got that covered!

GagHalfrunt

Lifer
Apr 19, 2001
If it doesn't say "& guest" or "plus one" or something similar it's for you alone. The wedding couple has not factored your date into their budget or seating plans and you damn well should not show up with one.